• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2023 at 7:02 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I guess if we agree that "internalized misogyny" isn't a thing, then we've made progress. :)

I am pointing out your misuse (or misunderstanding of words)  not debating psychology theory. The phrase “Internalized sexism” has a definite meaning but you can decide for yourself whether you agree with the theory. Misusing words is different than disagreeing with what they say.

On 8/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, sfcityduck said:

I am pointing out your misuse (or misunderstanding of words)  not debating psychology theory. The phrase “Internalized sexism” has a definite meaning but you can decide for yourself whether you agree with the theory. Misusing words is different than disagreeing with what they say.

Incorrectly, I might add.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It does, actually, as people go to movie theaters for entertainment, not preaching. For preaching, people go to church. Hopefully we can move on from this now.

They go to both to be preached at because some find it entertaining … and listen to talk radio, watch fake news, listen to certain types of music and artists, go to to watch certain types of tv, pay to see certain politicians speak, etc.  Love of being preached at is all around us in America. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/1/2023 at 10:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It does, actually, as people go to movie theaters for entertainment, not preaching. For preaching, people go to church. Hopefully we can move on from this now.

And some people find it entertaining to review the voice of the film, internalize it, and see what it is all about. 

On 8/1/2023 at 10:17 AM, sfcityduck said:

How?

Why are you pretending to not know what you're doing? If you can pretend that I'm using the wrong word, you can shift focus from why it was applicably used into how it's applicably used. It's clearly a distraction.

On 8/1/2023 at 10:21 AM, sfcityduck said:

They go to both to be preached at because some find it entertaining … and listen to talk radio, watch fake news, listen to certain types of music and artists, go to to watch certain types of tv, pay to see certain politicians speak, etc.  Love of being preached at is all around us in America. 

An apple is a fruit, not all fruit are apples. Again, you know what you're doing.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Why are you pretending to not know what you're doing? If you can pretend that I'm using the wrong word, you can shift focus from why it was applicably used into how it's applicably used. It's clearly a distraction.

If you cannot explain an argument you are not making one.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:24 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

An apple is a fruit, not all fruit are apples. Again, you know what you're doing.

That is not an apples to apples comparison. You are not offering a logical explanation. Why not just state your argument and support?

On 8/1/2023 at 7:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It doesn't need to be explained because you're pretending to not know the definition of words. Time for you to move on.

To the contrary I have stated the correct definition of words like “misandry” to support that you misused it.  You are running from that definition.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:54 AM, sfcityduck said:

C’mon, let’s use words right. Strictly speaking the word “Misandry” means hatred of men not disdain towards a small subset of men who want to nail themselves to a cross and claim victimhood because Barbie is allegedly threatening or persecuting them. When a man, which I guess the poster is, disdains men with those feelings it does not mean he hates himself.

Do you really feel I misdefined “Misandry”?

mis·an·dry
/məˈsandrē/

noun
  1. dislike of, contempt for, or ingrainedprejudice against men (i.e. the male sex).
    "poorly disguised misandry"
Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/31/2023 at 2:52 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

No, it's definitely more than you'd imagine. People don't like being preached to.

Again - you're objectively wrong here.

$780 million worldwide in just 11 days proves either

1) it's not preaching or

2) if it is, it's not alienating audiences - at least, not in any way that actually matters in the real world.

And in terms of gaslighting, 1/3 of the domestic audience is men, not 1/4 as you stated.

I am also not a misandrist by any stretch of the imagination. As @sfcityduck noted, you're misusing the term.

Mocking a small subset of weak men who feel somehow threatened by a movie about a toy doll in no way denotes misandry.

Nor does pointing out their weakness or fragility, LOL.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:03 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Again - you're objectively wrong here.

$780 million worldwide in just 11 days proves either

1) it's not preaching or

2) if it is, it's not alienating audiences - at least, not in any way that actually matters in the real world.

And in terms of gaslighting, 1/3 of the domestic audience is men, not 1/4 as you stated.

I am also not a misandrist by any stretch of the imagination. As @sfcityduck noted, you're misusing the term.

Mocking a small subset of weak men who feel somehow threatened by a movie about a toy doll in no way denotes misandry.

Nor does pointing out their weakness or fragility, LOL.

No, I'm not. A movie making money doesn't mean it's "not preachy". Saying something misandrist and being a misandrist are 2 different things. I notice that you guys like to reduce arguments to language rather than the accurate points being made.