• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2023 at 6:41 PM, sfcityduck said:

But not super attractive to ticket buyers. It did alright, undoubtedly above average it ranked 20th out of all films released in 1993. It grossed a worldwide total of $73.2 million. Certainly not a movie that deserves to be mentioned in the same breadth with box office smashes like Barbie when it comes to audience reception. So why derail the thread with Tombstone?

Because he likes it?

And movies are.not judged by box office alone. Tombstone is .agreat movie. And 73 mil was a respectable gross in 1993.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:58 PM, Larryw7 said:

Because he likes it?

And movies are.not judged by box office alone. Tombstone is .agreat movie. And 73 mil was a respectable gross in 1993.

Call me crazy, but if you like a cowboy movie and want to talk about it you can start a thread. There is now a cowboy movie thread. I've even contributed posts on the cowboy movies I like. This isn't that thread. No need to do so on a Barbie thread. $73M was 20th in 1993. Respectable, but nowhere near Barbie level.

As I said before, the objective measure of a movie's popularity is the box office. The subjective measure of a movie's quality is each person's opinion. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/15/2023 at 11:21 PM, sfcityduck said:

Call me crazy, but if you like a cowboy movie and want to talk about it you can start a thread. There is now a cowboy movie thread. I've even contributed posts on the cowboy movies I like. This isn't that thread. No need to do so on a Barbie thread. $73M was 20th in 1993. Respectable, but nowhere near Barbie level.

As I said before, the objective measure of a movie's popularity is the box office. The subjective measure of a movie's quality is each person's opinion. 

You have to be careful with 1990s films and box office aggregators. As at times they are missing details. Such as the numbers, which only reports the domestic results at the time (Tombstone's primary market).

Screenshot_20230816-0417232.thumb.png.93fac44f771727e396c97181defc494d.png

At that time, it did 2.3X production budget, making it a box office success at $25M production budget. But it also had a limited international box office release, which doesn't get reported by BOM nor the numbers Canada, UK).

Screenshot_20230816-0430162.thumb.png.3454a8034bad4a137f6e380f405ef7cd.png

At $73.2M that puts it at 2.93X making it a larger box office success at the time. Along with a very strong home theater release via VHS, DVD and later blu-ray release (repeatedly). Most probably because it rates an 8.4/10 with domestic audiences (iMDB), and considered one of the top 30 western movies.

Screenshot_20230816-0436562.thumb.png.5a3f13775490ccd4d4758cf58a25768d.png

Its challenge in not delivering stronger results was it released in a year where you had Jurassic Park, The Fugitive, A Few Good Men, Mrs. Doubtfire, Groundhog Day, Demolition Man, Cool Runnings, The Pelican Brief, Last Action Hero, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, The Good Son and many more hits. So a very strong year for Hollywood.

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/15/2023 at 10:58 PM, Larryw7 said:

Because he likes it?

Or because he doesn't like the Barbie movie.  Or, at least, points of view put forth in the Barbie movie.

But those finding dissatisfaction with the viewpoints expressed in Barbie, or that it had messages at all, could see it differently from remembering movies have always had messages and expressed certain viewpoints.  Movies have been doing this at least as far back as 1927 and Metropolis, and to varying degrees always have, Westerns too.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:20 AM, namisgr said:Movies have been doing this at least as far back as 1927 and Metropolis, and to varying degrees always have, Westerns too.

Since at least Birth of a Nation (1915) a racist ode to the KKK.

You are of course right that the folks posting about cowboy movies appear to feel politically threatened by Barbie and this looks like an intentional effort to disrupt the thread. The box office numbers have got to hurt given the reaction and desperate attempts to equate a cowboy movie which finished 20th in 1993 (below Cool Runnings, Hocus Pocus, etc.) to Barbie’s popularity. 

On 8/16/2023 at 1:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

You have to be careful with 1990s films and box office aggregators. As at times they are missing details. Such as the numbers, which only reports the domestic results at the time (Tombstone's primary market).

Screenshot_20230816-0417232.thumb.png.93fac44f771727e396c97181defc494d.png

At that time, it did 2.3X production budget, making it a box office success at $25M production budget. But it also had a limited international box office release, which doesn't get reported by BOM nor the numbers Canada, UK).

Screenshot_20230816-0430162.thumb.png.3454a8034bad4a137f6e380f405ef7cd.png

At $73.2M that puts it at 2.93X making it a larger box office success at the time. Along with a very strong home theater release via VHS, DVD and later blu-ray release (repeatedly). Most probably because it rates an 8.4/10 with domestic audiences (iMDB), and considered one of the top 30 western movies.

Screenshot_20230816-0436562.thumb.png.5a3f13775490ccd4d4758cf58a25768d.png

Its challenge in not delivering stronger results was it released in a year where you had Jurassic Park, The Fugitive, A Few Good Men, Mrs. Doubtfire, Groundhog Day, Demolition Man, Cool Runnings, The Pelican Brief, Last Action Hero, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, The Good Son and many more hits. So a very strong year for Hollywood.

Do you realize that I used the same numbers that are in your quotes - $73.2M and only 20th on the 1993 standings? I do not see any disagreement with my facts, so why do I need to be “careful”. Barbie is an all-time box office smash and in 1993 audiences voted Tombstone only 20th most desired movie of that year to see with their feet (and money). So why is Tombstone being brought up again?

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/16/2023 at 9:50 AM, sfcityduck said:

Since at least Birth of a Nation (1915) a racist ode to the KKK.

You are of course right that the folks posting about cowboy movies appear to feel politically threatened by Barbie and this looks like an intentional effort to disrupt the thread. The box office numbers have got to hurt given the reaction and desperate attempts to equate a cowboy movie which finished 20th in 1993 (below Cool Runnings, Hocus Pocus, etc.) to Barbie’s popularity. 

No one is trying to equate any movie with Barbie. Bosco  mentioned Tombstone (maybe accidentally in the wrong thread, who knows?) and that's when you jumped in being defensive of Barbie. You're the guy who equated Barbie's amazing grosses with Tombstone making 73 mil in 1993, therefore it's an inferior movie. And then you say that the people here fear Barbie. That's a total joke. Some here like the movie, some.dislike.it, but I haven't seen anyone say that Barbie or its message makes them afraid. I guess my question is what are you afraid of?

On 8/16/2023 at 10:37 AM, sfcityduck said:

Do you realize that I used the same numbers that are in your quotes - $73.2M and only 20th on the 1993 standings? I do not see any disagreement with my facts, so why do I need to be “careful”. Barbie is an all-time box office smash and in 1993 audiences voted Tombstone only 20th most desired movie of that year to see with their feet (and money). So why is Tombstone being brought up again?

So you are saying you don't care for Tombstone as much? Maybe we should go with Young Guns.

:baiting:

(:

On 8/16/2023 at 2:52 PM, Zonker said:

I did kind of wonder why the guy was derailing his own thread.  doh!

Exactly, @Bosco685 has been a pro favorite of the Barbie movie. He is always posting good news about Barbie being a gigantic hit at the box office. I don`t see any negative in that. 

On 8/16/2023 at 2:37 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Exactly, @Bosco685 has been a pro favorite of the Barbie movie. He is always posting good news about Barbie being a gigantic hit at the box office. I don`t see any negative in that. 

Ok. Now I feel stupid. You win the thread!

On 8/16/2023 at 1:57 PM, Bosco685 said:
On 8/16/2023 at 8:37 AM, sfcityduck said:

So you are saying you don't care for Tombstone as much? Maybe we should go with Young Guns.

:baiting:

(:

image.jpeg.def0bf0af15a6d7ef9f23283ff87747a.jpeg

On 8/16/2023 at 6:58 PM, kimik said:

Is whoever gave the greenlight on this movie still at WBD?

I wonder. It's a fair question. Turns out the movie has been in development since 2009, and changed studio hands a few times.

In August 2018, Robbie Brenner had been hired as producer by Mattel CEO Ynon Kreiz with the rights reverting to Mattel, with Kreiz having the intention to repossess the rights following the expiration of Sony Pictures's option. Later, Brenner was hired to run Mattel Films.[46][47] The expiration of Sony Pictures's option on the project in October 2018 and its transfer to Warner Bros. Pictures would see the departures of Hathaway, Jones, Macdonald, Parkes and Pascal. Margot Robbie would enter early talks for the role, with Patty Jenkins briefly considered for the director position.[48] Kreiz was determined to cast Robbie in the titular role after meeting with her following his hiring as CEO as both he and Brenner had felt that Robbie's appearance had been close to the appearance of a conventional Barbie doll and had been impressed by her ideas. Initial meetings had occurred at the Polo Lounge located in The Beverly Hills Hotel.[49][47] Eventually, Brenner had partnered with Robbie's production company, LuckyChap Entertainment, with Robbie's husband Tom Ackerley and Josey McNamara also being enlisted as producers.[46][47] Robbie's casting was confirmed in July 2019.[9]

Robbie had also been the producer and had pitched the film to Warner Bros. During the green-light meeting, Robbie had compared the film to Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park (1993) and had also jokingly suggested that it would gross over a billion dollars.[50] Later on, she approached Greta Gerwig as the screenwriter as she enjoyed Gerwig's previous films, particularly Little Women (2019). Gerwig was in post-production for another film, and accepted the role on the condition that her partner, Noah Baumbach, would also write the screenplay.[51][52] Gerwig signed on to also direct the film in July 2021.[53] Robbie said that the film's aim was to subvert expectations and give audiences "the thing you didn't know you wanted".[54]

I guess the real producer concept came together from Margot Robbie.