• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2023 at 9:25 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Barbie has been showcasing wide-ranging aspirational careers for women (beyond just teacher or nurse) for decades, since near its inception.

Astronaut Barbie is a perfect example

For sure.  And with a keen eye towards fashion!  

098cc1a3dcc6a5743e5c35f4eccd8cd1.jpg

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Watched it last night with my wife, both felt it was good not great.  Did spark some conversation on did the writer intend some of the messaging that came across in the final product or not.  Especially, when the Barbie land matriarchy, does not really come across looking that good either.  But that did keep the movie from coming across as heavy handed as some were claiming.  I have to admit that both Robbie and Gosling were perfectly cast.

On 11/21/2023 at 4:38 PM, VintageComics said:
On 11/21/2023 at 2:40 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

My 15-year-old daughter is coming over on Thanksgiving and she wants me to order it for her.

My ex was right, it's a good movie for dads to see with their daughters, and that might be the best demographic for this movie. 

It does really held shine a light onto how some women feel in society. The problem is that it doesn't represent all men or all women while pretending it does. 

Just to double back on this discussion, as I'd forgotten about this thread until @The humble Watcher lurking bumped it:

I saw it a month ago with my 2nd oldest, who is 26 and she thought it was cute but the message was silly. 

My youngest was supposed to join the viewing but she couldn't make it so I finally had a conversation with my youngest about the movie about 2 weeks ago, who is 22 and she actually thought the movie was "dumb" and "extremist" - those were her actual words. And she used the extremist word TWICE for emphasis. lol

She's very mature and strong for her age and she felt the movie was talking down to her. 

I haven't spoken to my 3rd daughter about it, but I think she'd feel the same way based on what I know about her, so that pretty sums up that all the women in my family (including my ex) that think this movie was either immature, dumb or extremist. :peace:

Take those reviews for what you will, but I think too many people have women pigeonholed into roles, like this movie for example, and are actually doing the very things the movie seems to try to call out society for doing. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 1/24/2024 at 3:36 PM, Zonker said:

"Nominating Ken but not Barbie is literally the plot of the movie." -bradmeltzer

He kind of has a point...:smirk:

Was the movie fun and entertaining?  YES

Were the performances good?  YES

Is it worthy of an Academy Award for Movie/Director/Actor/Actress?  NO

Is it worthy of Academy Award Nomination for any of those?  NO

On 1/25/2024 at 2:57 PM, chrisco37 said:

Yeah I agree. I liked the movie. I think it deserves kudos for making a movie about a toy as relevant and entertaining as it is (not easy for sure) but there it ends. That said there were a lot of great moments and it will get its place in fan history if not Oscar's.

On the one hand, Brad Meltzer's not wrong.

And he's one of our own, having delivered a masterpiece with Identity Crisis.

On the other, I'm okay with the result.

Yes - it's always a slap in the face when a film is nominated for Best Picture but not Best Director, but the genius I saw on display in Barbie wasn't in the directing, but in the writing - and Gerwig was properly nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Also, while Margot Robbie played her role extremely well, Ryan Gosling had the much harder assignment - and he nailed it.

Flip side of this - I don't believe America Ferrera deserves Best Supporting Actress for Barbie - because it wasn't the role so much as the writing. *Any* half-way decent actress who had her "Women" monologue would have gotten the nomination.

Same thing with prior nominations (and wins) for Emma Stone in La La Land or Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables -> they were dumb. Swap out any other actress and give them the La La Land "Audition" monologue or "I Dreamed a Dream" song and they would have won. Because it was the script itself, not a particularly compelling performance by the actress given that script. Example: Amy Adams would have *killed* the Audition monologue in La La Land, mopping the floor with Emma Stone.

Big difference between a passable actress or actor given a killer script (Ferrera, Stone, Hathaway, etc.) and an amazing actress or actor who *made* the role (Gosling as Ken), elevating it far beyond what was in the script itself.

On 1/25/2024 at 2:57 PM, chrisco37 said:

Is an Academy Award worth anything? NO   :whatthe: