• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATS 232 CGC 9.8 $22K & 251 $35K

9 posts in this topic

Noticing breath taking price strength still in high grade key slabs even in the face of recent stock market and crypto correction. 

Edited by 70s80sTimeMachine

On 5/1/2022 at 11:02 PM, bronze johnny said:

Too many shenanigans on eBay to  take purchases like this at face value. 

Previous sale on a 232 was 20k...not that much of a stretch to think someone paid 22k after the recent passing

The 251 seems less likely to have happened (no feedback given either side and a huge jump in price).

On 5/1/2022 at 11:59 PM, Iceman399 said:

Previous sale on a 232 was 20k...not that much of a stretch to think someone paid 22k after the recent passing

The 251 seems less likely to have happened (no feedback given either side and a huge jump in price).

Yes, and I’ve seen an 8.5 232 sell for 10k on eBay:

D9C3C5AC-31EB-40FD-9992-5595008DB57D.jpeg.4d2db55060bd6340e077af45268c255b.jpeg

Again, I don’t give much credence to eBay sales. Who even knows if the transactions are ever completed? Using auctions to raise prices and make it appear as if books are more valuable than they really are has been effective. eBay needs to require more transparency in the auction process so that we all benefit from having greater insight into the value of books. Auctions will continue to remain an unreliable source for defining values for comic books until this is achieved.

So today the 251 shows up on eBay Terapeak product research as a completed sale.  It wasn't there since the sale and up to last week.

Does that mean the $ 35,000 transaction happened?

If so, I guess my hopes of obtaining a high grade copy are out the window. 

I'm being priced out of this *#@!#$! hobby. 

Edited by eastriver31400

On 6/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, eastriver31400 said:

Anyone? Is this phony? Help a middle aged guy out with the nuances of eBay shenanigans. Is it kosher?

Anyone willing to pay ebay their final values fees can perform all the maket manipulation they want.

Of the many different manipulation schemes the most effective are those which look the most legit

BTW this is also being done in many other hobbies especially trading cards. Also with auction houses like Goldin and Heritage

I'm positive an honest trading card, comic art, and comic book dealers exists but in the past 40 years I've not met even one. That includes a good buddy of mine.

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/10/2022 at 9:24 AM, MAR1979 said:

Anyone willing to pay ebay their final values fees can perform all the maket manipulation they want.

Of the many different manipulation schemes the most effective are those which look the most legit

BTW this is also being done in many other hobbies especially trading cards. Also with auction houses like Goldin and Heritage

Im positive honest trading card, comic art, and comic book dealers exist but in the past 40 years Ive not met even one. That includes a good buddy of mine. 

Thanks.  Makes sense. I couldn't figure out how a manipulator could avoid paying the ebay fees, and still make it look like the sale happened.       

Edited by eastriver31400

On 6/10/2022 at 10:01 AM, eastriver31400 said:

Thanks.  Makes sense. I couldn't figure out how a manipulator could avoid paying the ebay fees, and still make it look like the sale happened.       

A now "classic" scheme is:

For several months or more buy up an item say Graded 1986 Fleer Jordon's in Mid grade and lower high grade. Then manipulate a Graded Gem Mint 10 auction or 2 of the same card to sell for say 500,000k+.  Some might think why pay all those auction fee's? Well the cards they have been buying up in mid and lower high grades will ride the coattails and then they sell, sell, sell.  Shelling out 50-100k in auction fees to make several million is rather shrewd business.  Morally dubious at best, but moral folks are not Trading Card Dealers*

Then we have schemes that a honest person like myself can't even imagine... Not saying is a totally rigged game but more often than not in in modern times it is.

* = I'm positive an honest trading card, comic art, and comic book dealer exists, but in the past 40 years I've not met even one. That includes a good buddy of mine. 

Edited by MAR1979