• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was Aquaman's First Comic Cover?

24 posts in this topic

Let's face it Aquaman is probably the lamest "major" comic hero of all time.  I think we all know that he was featured on ZERO comic book covers of the Golden Age.  Green Arrow got covers on More Fun (so did Jonny Quick), but Aquaman nada.  Heck, Vigilante and Shining Knight appeared on many more covers than Aquaman.  Even Robotman had more covers.  Aquaman was so lame he was not invited to join the JSA or the Seven Soldiers of Victory. 

Which begs the question:  What was Aquaman's first comic cover of the Silver Age?  The conventional answer is BB 28, the first big break of Aquaman's career when he somehow was miraculously picked to be part of the JLA.  (Probably because he can talk to fish!)

But, that's not the correct answer.  I believe that Aquaman's first comic cover was in a non-U.S. Silver Age comic which predates BB 28.  

C'mon Aquaman fans:  Anyone own it? 

Anyone even know what it is?

This comic should be an Aquaman grail.  

(cue the Jeopardy music)

From what I can see it looks like one of those. I've see a few over the years. They were B/W reprints done in the 50's and 60's with color covers and square bound I believe. Supposedly 100 pages, hence the name. They were printed and distributed in Australia. I've never held one but only seen pictures here on the board.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:14 AM, flashlites said:

Is that a DC reprint 'Hundred' comic from Australia? 

You win one of the no-prizes!  It is called Color Giant 1 and you're on the spot that it is an Australian comic (from 1956):

Untitled

To make sense of one of the second hint image, here's Color Giant 2 (also an Aquaman cover, not in the running for first because it came out in 1957):

Untitled

Still waiting to see if anyone gets the other contender.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, themagicrobot said:

So Australia wins and in second place I present these hardback annuals originally on sale in the UK in 1958 and 1959.

Cool info!  Austrailia had a lot of Aquaman covers prior to his first cover in the U.S.  I chalk that up to surfing and the fact its a big Island making him a bigger selling point over there than in the U.S.

I can't explain why the UK has Aquaman covers. 

Even in other countries where I've seen many Green Arrow and Speedy covers in 1950s comics, such as Sweden, I've seen no Aquaman.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:14 AM, flashlites said:

Is that a DC reprint 'Hundred' comic from Australia? 

Sheet!  I double checked  "Hundred Comic Monthly" to see if it had Aquaman covers?  Guess what, it did!  You win an even bigger no-prize.  Now I got three contenders for the first Aquaman cover (problem is month of publication info is not clear for all contenders).  Here's the third contender (dated Oct. 1956):

The Hundred Comic Monthly

Edited by sfcityduck

On 5/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'm not thinking that they are that rare.  I've seen them around.  

I have a friend here on the boards that looks for these, has many of them. He tells me they are kinda hard to come by especially in decent condition, and he lives in Australia. Maybe not rare then just hard to come by :) Very cool though!

I want to know why Congo Bill was always in these issues. Seriously.

The very early "All Star" had Tiger Girl and Kaanga, Tiger Girl was great GGA. Very early "Five Score" has some truly great DC 50s sci-fi from Julie's books, and Aquaman and Green Arrow from their Adventure runs are well represented including Kirby's GA run.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:01 AM, sfcityduck said:

Let's face it Aquaman is probably the lamest "major" comic hero of all time. 

:tonofbricks:

I disagree.

:mad: 

My vote for the lamest goes to Captain America. I'm not a fan of that jingoistic all-American shtick of his.

:451621943_canadianbananaflaggif:

Edited by Hepcat