• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was Aquaman's first comic book cover appearance?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

It is a bit weird though that in the US after having long running appearances in first More Fun than later in Adventure comics he didn’t at least get a small appearance on any cover. I really can’t think of any character since with that much exposure in comics and still not have something on a cover. I mean not even a tiny head shot or something somewhere. Really strange…

@sfcityduck

Colossal Comic Annual #3 - hint you posted (Aug, 1957)

page-1-colossal-comic-annual-colour-comi

The Hundred Comic Monthly #1 (sporting the green costume again which I like) - October 1956

page-1-hundred-comic-monthly-colour-comi

The All Favourites Comic Annual #2 July 1957

page-1-all-favourites-comic-annual-colou

Colossal Comic Annual #1 August 1957 Hint you posted

page-1-colossal-comic-annual-colour-comi

Colossal Comic #9 later one from March 1959

page-1-colossal-comic-colour-comics-1958

So there may be others earlier and I cannot take credit for knowing these other than the few I have seen on the Australian Comics FB page.  I went through the Aussie Reprints site to look for his cover appearances.  I don't think there were UK appearances until later.  Bats and Supes and some others had content reprinted but I may be wrong.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:03 PM, rjpb said:

What a D-Lister, even Wildcat and Mr. Terrific made it on to the cover of All-Star #24. He joins Airwave in the loser club.

Wildcat should have gotten his own comic book. 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:08 AM, Larryw7 said:

Wildcat should have gotten his own comic book. 

Well Wildcat at least made the team in the Stargirl Television show. That show is pretty interesting in its use of the old JSA heroes and villains. Of course they haven't introduced Airwave yet!!

On 5/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, Ameri said:

I find it amazing that Aquaman (created 1941) already has a couple big budget movies but Sub-Mariner (created 1939) has none. I'm surprised that the MCU let DC get away with that one. Hopefully this gets rectified with Wakanda Forever. 

That’s been largely due to the movie rights mess that got created when Marvel started slicing things off.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, N e r V said:

That’s been largely due to the movie rights mess that got created when Marvel started slicing things off.

Yeah, technically Universal has the rights to Sub-Mariner. Also Hulk. The studio has been cooperative in allowing the Hulk in the MCU, and it sounds like they're working with Marvel to bring Subby to the screen too.

Not sure why there’s so much love for Namor. At his best, he’s the precursor anti-hero to the whole Wolverine/Punisher persona that really took off in the Copper Age, but most of the time since the silver age he’s written as an arrogant gasbag. 

My favorite Sub-Mariner story? Avengers #155. Namor does the pompous speech thing; Wonder Man pulps him in three blows.

Anyway, to get us back on point, I double-checked the More Fun run in Gerber and not even one of those round headshots a la Archie on Jackpot #4 — Spectre got ‘em all. And to add insult to injury, #83 has Green Arrow and Speedy in an underwater scene fighting a giant octopus and they still couldn’t work him in! doh!

Superman and Batman TOGETHER made what, about 60% of Aquaman's box office?  Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, and Shazam flopped big time.  Green Lantern flopped way back.  Flash needs all the past Batmans and a bunch of other stuff to draw try (and will probably fail) to draw interest.

While Aquaman just sails along swimmingly.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:25 AM, ChillMan said:

Superman and Batman TOGETHER made what, about 60% of Aquaman's box office?  Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, and Shazam flopped big time.  Green Lantern flopped way back.  Flash needs all the past Batmans and a bunch of other stuff to draw try (and will probably fail) to draw interest.

While Aquaman just sails along swimmingly.

Presumably that was down to the film (I only saw the first one) being aimed at a younger demographic, with the usual lightweight cookie-cutter fairytale plot and cast. It looked like a saturday morning serial with high production values with some anime thrown in. All the other DC movies you mentioned were serious, violent or seriously violent, and if there was a sense of humour in amongst the carnage (Harley Quinn, etc)  it was skewed and sledgehammer.

Aquaman worked because the film didn't try hard. Surprised Shazam failed, though. Despite cinema audiences not having a clue who the characters were, it had most of the right ingredients.

On 5/11/2022 at 5:44 AM, goldust40 said:

Presumably that was down to the film (I only saw the first one) being aimed at a younger demographic, with the usual lightweight cookie-cutter fairytale plot and cast. It looked like a saturday morning serial with high production values with some anime thrown in. All the other DC movies you mentioned were serious, violent or seriously violent, and if there was a sense of humour in amongst the carnage (Harley Quinn, etc)  it was skewed and sledgehammer.

Aquaman worked because the film didn't try hard. Surprised Shazam failed, though. Despite cinema audiences not having a clue who the characters were, it had most of the right ingredients.

Movie genres go through cycles. Superhero movies should be getting to the parody phase. Westerns, gangster films, horror movies, disaster movies, and sci-fi movies have all gone through that cycle—and then it seems like each genre goes away for a while, and then at some point there's a re-boot and things start over.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Movie genres go through cycles. Superhero movies should be getting to the parody phase. Westerns, gangster films, horror movies, disaster movies, and sci-fi movies have all gone through that cycle—and then it seems like each genre goes away for a while, and then at some point there's a re-boot and things start over.

True, but then there's already been the Deadpool movies, which are semi-parodies, and Shazam, which had no pretences or concern about being anything other than silly fun. Not to mention Kick Azz or The Boys, which relied heavily on satire.

Either way there's no point in taking these increasingly formulaic movies seriously, so a slew of parodies would be most welcome.