• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catrick's (sporadic) Windy City Pulp Convention report!
3 3

50 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 2:29 PM, Robot Man said:

Thanks Rick. Yeah, other than exceptions, HB books seem to sit for me too. PBs usually sell well for me too. But I usually concentrate on the better covers. Often bring a lot more than $5. Same with Pulps. BLBs are interesting. I have quite a few. I have always really liked them. Hard to leave nice ones in nice shape at flea markets. Haven’t brought out any for sale in quite a while because I keep hearing the market is real soft. Did you have to discount them a lot?

Interesting to hear you sold a lot of Westerns. They are pretty dead out here especially the Dell photo covers. $5.00 a piece? hm

I have noticed I sell a ton of cheap stuff at shows. Happy to get rid of it though and people often buy large piles. So many better venues for the better stuff.

Sounds like a worthwhile show for you.(thumbsu

Dell and Fawcett westerns with painted or photo covers sell and sell for me...at five bucks apiece. Ditto Atlas/early Marvel, and obscure publishers. But trying to sell at retail is a mug's game. Five bucks or ignore them. Six BLB's sold, modest discounts.

Edited by catrick339

I had two comic longboxes full of retail paperbacks, intending to fill up the tables with them as the hardbacks sold. Alas, no opportunity because the HB's didn't sell. Pittsburgh in August, Baby!

On 5/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, Surfing Alien said:

That said, I was even more warmed by the love given to my Chicago pal Sharif who went with me, with virtually no knowledge of pulps. Every time I left him to his own devices while boring other attendees with Johnson inquiries, he would come back and tell me of this person or that who approached him and welcomed him to this little world and engaged his curiosities.

Sharif ended up winning two lots at the auction. I had to restrain his bidding hand a couple of times and he was a little sad to leave because he was initiated so kindly. That tells you a ton about this crowd!

Sharif was a blast to hang out with.  Hope we get a chance to do it again!  (thumbsu

Echoing the comments of the other Boardies that have already chimed in with their reports and observations, it was an amazing show with mouth-watering artifacts and even more enjoyable camaraderie. The knowledge in that room at any given moment is stupefying. There was something for every budget - for me, I pretty much stayed in bargain mode the whole show. The most expensive thing I believe I bought was a copy of 3-D Dolly for $30. There were enough ten dollar pulps and five dollar(!) comics in the room to keep me in hog's heaven. I'll try to post a few group shots sometime this week.

There was so much great original art in the room as well - in one very well-stocked corner there were at least three wonderful Edwin Georgi illustrations alone. Go figure.

Plus, I got a chance to sit down and talk to Jim Steranko on Sunday, which was just icing on an already sweet cake. :acclaim:

Edited by PopKulture

On 5/9/2022 at 12:46 AM, PopKulture said:

Echoing the comments of the other Boardies that have already chimed in with their reports and observations, it was an amazing show with mouth-watering artifacts and even more enjoyable camaraderie. The knowledge in that room at any given moment is stupefying. There was something for every budget - for me, I pretty much stayed in bargain mode the whole show. The most expensive thing I believe I bought was a copy of 3-D Dolly for $30. There were enough ten dollar pulps and five dollar(!) comics in the room to keep me in hog's heaven. I'll try to post a few group shots sometime this week.

There was so much great original art in the room as well - in one very well-stocked corner alone there were at least three wonderful Edwin Georgi illustrations alone. Go figure.

Plus, I got a chance to sit down and talk to Jim Steranko on Sunday, which was just icing on an already sweet cake. :acclaim:

He was great to talk to just don't ask for a photo with him or selfie :bigsmile: