• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20 years ago this week...Spider-Man was released- Is it the best superhero movie?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

The first half of Spider-Man is really good but always had a problem with the Green Goblin/Power Ranger look. Overall still a good movie but nowhere near Spider-Man 2.

Next five:

Infinity Wars

Zack Snyder Justice League (this would be at the top if the running time could have been snipped a bit)

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises

Far From Home

Spider-Man

Growing up in the 70's and 80's collecting Spiderman...there was always talk of a major Spiderman movie...we had that  attempt in 1977 but it suffered from a lack of funds. When they  released the Twin Towers trailer for Spider-Man..it felt like they finally delivered on that promise...no, not the best superhero movie but certainly the most important in my mind. I think that movie ushered in the age of cinematic superheroes moreso than any other film (Superman and Batman tried and FF just flopped).

On 5/6/2022 at 7:56 AM, shadroch said:

No film caught the sheer fun Spiderman gets from web-swinging like the 2002 movie. I'd always thought swinging from building to building kind of sucked when compared to leaping them in  a single bound but Toby made me realize what I was missing.

Yep. Seeing Spider-Man swinging around the city, and the sequence where he was learning how, there was a realization that special effects had finally caught up to the comics. It just felt like the time had arrived finally.

My Spider-Man movie ranking:

1) Spider-Man 2 (2004)

2) Spider-Man 1 (2002)

3) Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

4) Spider-Man: No Way Home

5) Amazing Spider-Man 1

6) Spider-Man 3 (Sandman parts trump Venom)

7) Spider-Man: Homecoming

8) Spider-Man: Far From Home

9) Amazing Spider-Man 2

Incredible there have been this many movies in 20 years.