• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book Sold With Missing Page - Who Is Responsible?
7 7

134 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 9:39 PM, oakman29 said:

So the book in question is an important book that you have been looking for for a long time? Even more reason to check the book when it arrives from a seller. I personally don't care if the seller has a Detective #27 for ten dollars. If he's not a seller I have dealt with before I'm not buying it. 

So let me be the one to give you a list of my best sellers here.

Bob Storms- highgradecomics.com

Randall Dowling- Douglas has a flair for finding great books.

Wombat- Hes my brother from another mother. We have the exact same collecting focus.

DeadOne- hes not around as often these days.

Bounty_coder- sexy horror goodness. Knows his sheit.

Makmorn- same as Bounty_coder. 

Lions den- plethora of smarts.

ThothAmon - killer dude @ThothAmon

Any one of these guys and you cant go wrong.

Thanks Oakman!   :)

On 5/7/2022 at 1:05 PM, darkstar said:
On 5/7/2022 at 12:18 PM, Math Teacher said:

If the seller had informed me that the book was missing a page, I would have never bought it.

Most comic transactions do not involve the seller actually doing a page count. 

This is unfortunately true. Grading a comic does not just involve looking at the corner, but way too many people, in my experience, do just that. A book with a missing page is incomplete, how can you put a grade on it if you don't make sure it's all there?

On 5/7/2022 at 1:44 PM, darkstar said:

You made the leap that the seller knowingly sold you a book without disclosing the missing page. It is far more likely that the seller didn't know the page was missing. And it is on you to inspect the book to confirm condition once it is in your possession.  

Exactly - every buyer should inspect the books and make sure all the pages are there.

So, unless the seller was given the book....

On 5/7/2022 at 11:35 PM, Math Teacher said:

I just don't want to go into every transaction expecting the seller to have made a mistake or that the seller is being dishonest. I have made many friends here, and I often ask them for their advice. If I trust someone enough to ask for their advice, shouldn't I also trust them to disclose any possible flaws in a book they are selling? Hypothetically speaking, that is.

There is a well-respected dealer both here and in the real world (and well respected by me, too) that I will always ask to count the pages before sending me my purchase, as I know from experience that he doesn't usually, and it saves us both some grief. And do you know what I do when I get my package? I count the pages.

There is another seller here who I am friends with, and I know for certain that she counts pages on her books. And when I get a package from her? Yep, I count the pages.

People make mistakes. It's how they deal with those mistakes that matter.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, JollyComics said:

I have done to @kav at all the time but this time..this is for you.  Learned lessons.

giphy.gif.e29e78697fa68ae3f52ab56fcab3dfd0.gif

On 5/8/2022 at 11:08 AM, kav said:

yup we learn to seal with it

On 5/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

5DCE9531-E20C-42B4-AC04-01FEB8CEB5EE.jpeg

oeOjtph.gif.fdeb4a4f09d13886361dab2eab1deb62.gif

On 5/7/2022 at 12:18 PM, Math Teacher said:

I will fully admit that I am partially to blame for this problem. I should have taken the time to open the book and count the pages. 

If by "partially" you mean "completely" then I agree with you. 

On 5/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'm really sorry this happened to you, and you seem like an intelligent, respectable person, but buying a raw book and not counting the pages is kind of like buying a used vehicle without taking it for a test drive...  

He said it was hypothetical. 

On 5/7/2022 at 1:45 PM, KirbyJack said:

I have been the guy on the other side of this, and mistakenly sold incomplete comics without disclosing it. 
I bent over backwards to make it right, and I would expect the same from most of the sellers here.

I would do the same. 

But one thing I don't do is check the pages of books I sell.  If there is a problem, send it back and I'll more than make up for it.  But my time has value and I don't get paid to count pages or check the condition of each.  I undergrade my auctions "just in case" I miss something... but that's based on a visual inspection of covers. Inside and out. 

I don't demand a seller I buy from do any more than I do. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 5/8/2022 at 10:06 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I would do the same. 

But one thing I don't do is check the pages of books I sell.  If there is a problem, send it back and I'll more than make up for it.  But my time has value and I don't get paid to count pages or check the condition of each.  I undergrade my auctions "just in case" I miss something... but that's based on a visual inspection of covers. Inside and out. 

And your ebay id is?

On 5/8/2022 at 7:06 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I would do the same. 

Well I wouldnt have personally said that. Now you have made it on my " never to buy from" list.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:28 PM, oakman29 said:

Well I wouldnt have personally said that. Now you have made it on my " never to buy from" list.

I wouldn't be selling here anyway.  You're safe from the horror of a potential missing page in a new modern. 

On 5/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, Sigur Ros said:
On 5/8/2022 at 10:10 PM, ttfitz said:

And your ebay id is?

Private. 

Yeah, probably a good idea.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Just an FYI, very early on I bought an ASM#2 on eBay. I never really looked at it, but when I asked my LCS to sub it for me the owner told me ‘you know you are missing the pin- up page?” Lesson learned. I count now, EVERYTHING EVERY TIME! So I subbed the ASM #2 anyways. It came back 3.0 …. BLUE!  Anyone can make a mistake, don’t feel bad about that. Just learn from it and move on.

What disturbs me about this is that a professional grading service assigned it a 3.0 instead of a 0.5 incomplete. If the graders didn't notice it was missing a page then I start wondering how many other incomplete books have slipped by. Sure, even grading companies make mistakes but that's pretty egregious.