• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torn Comic Cover done by retailer worth getting graded?

8 posts in this topic

Unsold comics that had their top 1/4 of the cover torn off by the retailer to return to the wholesaler for credit are they worth getting graded? If so, what's the best possible grade? Blue label? Here's   an example: Thanks for any replies! 20220508_181419.jpg.16666ed9c7426027beee6327455d8daa.jpg

Generally, it would depend on the issue to decide if it is worth getting graded.

I generally shy away from questions of the "worth it" variety, since there are often considerations other than value.  However let's remind ourselves that:

• While folks fluent in the hobby may generally feel comfortable purchasing a remaindered book as a 0.5 PR, many of the folks spending big bucks on comics these days are not fluent in the hobby.
  • One of the big benefits of CGC Universal (Blue Label) Grade certification is the assurance that a book is all-original and unrestored.  I can state with absolute certainty that not all remaindered books are unrestored.
  • Certain remaindered Silver Age Marvel keys routinely sell for over $1000.  With books of this value, CGC certification almost always leads to a quicker, more profitable, and more hassle-free sale.

Hence, my answer to the "worth it" part of your question is: it all depends(thumbsu

On 5/8/2022 at 6:34 PM, zzutak said:
  • Certain remaindered Silver Age Marvel keys routinely sell for over $1000.  With books of this value, CGC certification almost always leads to a quicker, more profitable, and more hassle-free sale.

Of course, X-Men #6 isn't one of those, so if the example is representative, I'd say "likely not"