• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Angry CGC Calls - Knock it Off!
2 2

110 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, kimik said:

No worries. The USA is in good company with Liberia and Myanmar in sticking with the imperial system as former colonies of the British Empire..........:devil:

Let me know when Canada does something meaningful with that fancy little "metric system". :baiting:

On 5/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, Math Teacher said:

I have often said that everyone should have to work a year at each of these jobs: 1) customer service or working behind a register, 2) a teacher, and 3) a sports official. I'm sure that there could be more professoins that could be added to my list. Working at the these jobs would make people realize that it's not any fun to be screamed at or to have your integrity questioned.

Playing high level sports, my kids know that you do not want to be any type of sports official. lol 

I will say this, kids nowadays are way too nice to officials. Back when I played, you would "accidentally" shoot pucks at the refs/linesmen in hockey while clearing the puck if you thought they were doing a bad job. Sometimes your coach would ask you to..........

On 5/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, kimik said:

Playing high level sports, my kids know that you do not want to be any type of sports official. lol 

I will say this, kids nowadays are way too nice to officials. Back when I played, you would "accidentally" shoot pucks at the refs/linesmen in hockey while clearing the puck if you thought they were doing a bad job. Sometimes your coach would ask you to..........

We used to miss the pitch out sign and mistakenly fire a fastball.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:35 PM, shadroch said:

I've never done phone customer service and have always been higher in the chain but I have a question for those who have served in the trenches.

I can't imagine discussing your feelings about the job , your dislike of it and how you feel abused by customers is something your supervisors and employees approve of.  It's okay to be disgruntled with your job but when you start expressing your feelings to callers, it's time for a career change. 

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong, but some people don't have many options...  

On 5/9/2022 at 11:10 AM, darkstar said:

You and the math teacher should hang out together. 

They can correct each others diction and make sure not to pump and dump

From what I read in the OP's message, I didn't get the feeling that the customer service person was being rude and disrespectful to the customers. I think she found someone who was willing to listen to her and allow her to vent. There have been many times when I have said, "It's been a really long day. Could you please cut me some slack?" For the most part, this seems to work, but sometimes it actually makes it worse.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:07 PM, Cool Ghoul said:

I just got off the phone with a CGC rep who politely handled my question regarding CGC delays.  She exasperatedly told me how that this, Monday, was the beginning of a tumultuous work week and was the start of a very stressful time for her.  Apparently angry CGC comic submitters feel the incessant need to take their frustrations out on wearied CGC representatives.  Please understand that these representatives, working for marginal income with no regard for their extra work, have to suck it up and listen to negative diatribes from many CGC submitters.

She sounded totally and emotionally drained, and I humbly apologized to her for this treatment.  And as such, I'm issuing a reminder to many on these boards --- yes, this means YOU -- those who lack sufficient social skills to talk to women with respect.  Congrats for spreading the "comic book collector" stereotype to the masses.  My warning is "knock it off" when calling a female CGC rep.  If you can't be respectful -- and some of you can't -- than shut your mouth.  There is no valid reason, despite what you feel about your precious comic book collection, for you to treat a working woman with anger or disrespect.

Knock it off or give me your number so we can "resolve" issues in persons.  Otherwise, support the hard-workers that have helped our investment in comics be worth 10X fold we paid for.

In response to the bolded:

1) Nobody cares if its a stressful week for her.    Everyone has their own stresses and are expected to be able to handle their work regardless.

2) Whether the representative is paid $15 an hour or $1500 an hour is no one's concern except hers and CGC's.   Don't take the job if you don't like the pay.

3) Good for you and certainly, people calling with their submission issues need to keep any attitude in check and be as professional as they hope the representative will be.   It should be a two way street.

4) This part is embarrassing.   Gender has nothing to do with this.   Both genders should be treated with respect.

5) Doubly embarrassing.   

On 5/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, Math Teacher said:

I'm always embarrassed when I misspell a word in front of students. I am going to chalk this up to a slip of the finger tip.

My fingertip slipped once, had a right headache for a hour after that 

If only we could get people to understand that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. It's clear that I have done one of these jobs, and, in truth, I have actually done the other two also. I feel that I am more tolerant with people, because I know what it's like to be on the other side.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:07 AM, Cool Ghoul said:

My warning is "knock it off" when calling a female CGC rep.

Why just women?

Honestly, when speaking to any customer service representative, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  Also, if the first rep you speak with doesn't give you the answer you're hoping for, HUCA (hang up, call again).  (This is especially true when the expected response is dependent on whether or not the representative is having a good or bad day.  Looking to get your cable bill lowered?  HUCA.  Looking to get a credit on a non-refundable good?  You're out of luck.  One is an expected result, the other is a policy stated in the T&C that you won't be able to overturn.)

On 5/9/2022 at 2:17 PM, Math Teacher said:

If only we could get people to understand that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. It's clear that I have done one of these jobs, and, in truth, I have actually done the other two also. I feel that I am more tolerant with people, because I know what it's like to be on the other side.

I figured the three professions you chose weren't a coincidence :)

You're right of course.    I can't say I've never been a jerk on the phone and I've found when that happens its usually because of the cumulative experience with the company.    Perhaps, as an example, I've called the utility company and been passed to 5 people each of which required I start my story from the beginning on after waiting on hold.    So I've been on the phone for two hours waiting and repeating myself and I might be shltty to the 5th person in a way I wasn't to the 1st person because my patience has run its course.        

Some people are also just impatient generally, especially with collectibles and if, for example, they are given a 60 day service expectation are losing their mind on day 59.    I'm the type where it doesn't even occur to me to consider asking until day 75+.    

Anyways, I agree, people need to treat others with respect.      There's been times I haven't been perfect in that respect and I suspect that goes for most people.     I do think certain people are suited for the job of answering the phones, especially at a place like cgc, and some aren't.

Edited by Bronty