• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending CBCS slabs into CGC
2 2

33 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm fairly new to the CGC process, but so far I've been extremely pleased with the turnaround times for the first few books I've had graded. I'm curious about the reholder tier. I have a book that's graded 9.8 by CBCS, but would prefer it to be graded by CGC. I was wondering if I can send it in its current slab, or do I need to take it out myself? If so, do I send it through the reholder tier? Thanks

Edited by JRich282

• Administrator

Hello

You can send the CBCS slab to us in the holder although, you would need to select a grading tier.  We don't reholder competitors books.

Mike

On 5/9/2022 at 11:23 AM, JRich282 said:

Hi, I'm fairly new to the CGC process, but so far I've been extremely pleased with the turnaround times for the first few books I've had graded. I'm curious about the reholder tier. I have a book that's graded 9.8 by CBCS, but would prefer it to be graded by CGC. I was wondering if I can send it in its current slab, or do I need to take it out myself? If so, do I send it through the reholder tier? Thanks

Good luck with the resub. You will likely find that CBCS 9.8 does not equal CGC 9.8............

On 5/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, kimik said:

Good luck with the resub. You will likely find that CBCS 9.8 does not equal CGC 9.8............

Agreed. 

But a CBCS 8.0 might equal a CGC 9.8

Screenshot_20220429-205435_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220429-205400_Photos.jpg

IMG_20220429_181213_330.jpg

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 5/11/2022 at 10:48 AM, Stronguy said:

Don't ever, ever, ever do a crossover.  Crack that book out yourself, evaluate it, then send it in if you like what you see.  NEVER leave it up to CGC to do this.  There are way too many stories of CGC screwing people over on crossover grades because they didn't opt for CCS pressing after it was cracked out.  "Dear Customer, we think your CBCS 9.2 book is really an 8.0 but we can press it up to a 9.2 for you.  Do you want to spend another $100 so we can do that for you?"  It's a freaking scam.

You're making things up. 

There is no such thing as a "crossover grade". 

They don't honor CBCS grades, nor should they. Period. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, Sigur Ros said:

You're making things up. 

Feel free to point out where I said CGC honors CBSC grades.  Period.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, Sigur Ros said:

You're making things up. 

That's not what he wrote.  The term "crossover grade" has been used in several threads on these Boards to refer to comics graded by one company that were graded again by the other.  

On 5/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, Stronguy said:

Feel free to point out where I said CGC honors CBSC grades.  Period.

That was for the OP. 

The nonsense about CGC caring what the CBCS grade is, and talking you into spending $100 for pressing because of the difference in grades.... was for you. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:24 AM, Sigur Ros said:

That was for the OP. 

The nonsense about CGC caring what the CBCS grade is, and talking you into spending $100 for pressing because of the difference in grades.... was for you. 

Then why the hell did you quote me saying I was making stuff up?

CGC absolutely did send emails like that and I have them.  They flat out offer to press your book to "achieve" the previous CBCS grade.  You either authorize the pressing, have them grade it without pressing (which results in a lower grade), or you tell them to send it back.

Edited by Stronguy

On 5/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, The Lions Den said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a palpable undercurrent of hostility on the boards lately? 

I tend to get a bit p!ssy when someone calls me a liar.  I probably need a Snickers.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, The Lions Den said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a palpable undercurrent of hostility on the boards lately? 

I'd be hostile too if I was being blackmailed into spend $100 on pressing. 

😜

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 5/11/2022 at 3:09 PM, namisgr said:

The CGC discount is no longer offered, but the opportunity to cross over a comic from one company's grading and slabbing to the others remains.

So then it's just CGC offering to crack CBCS slabs, correct? 

The CBCS grade isn't relevant in any way. 

On 5/11/2022 at 12:09 PM, namisgr said:

The CGC discount is no longer offered, but the opportunity to cross over a comic from one company's grading and slabbing to the others remains.

When they announced the discount a few years back, I took the opportunity to send back all non-CGC I had (just PGX). Of the 7 I sent, 2 went down in grade (8.0 to 7.0 and 6.0 to 5.0), 3 remained the same grade (5.5, 6.0, 7.0) while two went from 9.2 to 9.4. CGC will crack and grade to their scale, it may drop, stay or go up. 

On 5/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, Sigur Ros said:

So then it's just CGC offering to crack CBCS slabs, correct? 

The CBCS grade isn't relevant in any way. 

I'm certain CBCS will be happy to crack a comic out of a CGC slab, then grade and slab it.

As to whether a CBCS grade is relevant to a discussion, to me that depends on what the discussion is about.  We had a lengthy thread in which people described their results when having comics graded by both companies.

Edited by namisgr