• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Miller’s first published work in Gold Key’s Twilight Zone #84. A question.

21 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, NoMan said:

Did Miller do the whole book? Each story? Cover? Or just one story? If so, which story? 

thanks in advance. 

These might help:

https://www.comics.org/issue/32321/

http://readallcomics.com/the-twilight-zone-84/

Miller art on one story in #84.  A Low print near end of run double-size book  My guess is demand for the few 9.2's and Higher  exceeds supply and would have much competition among Miller super-fans if they come up for regular auction?

There is also a Miller art on one story in #85 which although still difficult is easier to find 9.2 and higher compared to #84.

Sent my 84 and 85 in last Oct perhaps they will be back this coming Oct???

Twilight_Zone84.thumb.jpg.1974ec5581c63faae2aaa8b364554701.jpg

Twilight_Zone85.thumb.jpg.9579f7ca98bd12cfaa82311d7dd42107.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/11/2022 at 9:20 AM, Jayman said:

Does Twilight Zone 84 beat out Weird War Tales 64 as Miller’s first? GCD has them both at June 1978? (shrug)

Weird War Tales # 64.jpg

I think they are released in same month, but obviously Frank Himself would have corrected this a long time ago if it was inaccurate. Also Twilight Zone 84 has no published credits, he is tentatively credited with the three-page story "Royal Feast"  and the writer is unknown.. 

On 5/11/2022 at 6:44 PM, NoMan said:

I wonder what the source is for the info FM did the pages in 84? 

Merely curiosity? Or is there another reason for asking?

Overstreet has noted it for at least 28 years - I went back to 1994 the oldest one I have handy.  I first recall seeing it mentioned in the early-mid 1990s in CBG (Comic Buyers Guide).  Miller has confirmed it as well in interviews.  For a long time no one seemed to care that much about the Zone issues, but in moderns times its must have 1st this and 1st that. 

Serling by Miller - Cool!

image.png.3871fa8d25a29014627b7a8ec966b3ef.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/11/2022 at 9:20 AM, Jayman said:

Does Twilight Zone 84 beat out Weird War Tales 64 as Miller’s first? GCD has them both at June 1978? (shrug)

While same cover date (or cover code for GK's), As I recall reading Gold Keys books at the time were distributed for sale 4-5 months prior to cover date and Marvel and DC was approx 3 months.  Any GK/Whitman/Western experts here?

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/11/2022 at 7:13 PM, MAR1979 said:

Merely curiosity? Or is there another reason for asking?

Overstreet has noted it for at least 28 years.  I went back to 1994 the oldest one I have handy.  I first recall seeing it mentioned in the early-mid 1990s in CBG (Comic Buyers Guide).  Miller has confirmed it as well in interviews.  For a long time no one seemed to care that much about the Zone issues, but in moderns times its must have 1st this and 1st that. 

Serling by Miller - Cool!

image.png.3871fa8d25a29014627b7a8ec966b3ef.png

Curiosity. Thank you. 

On 5/12/2022 at 3:23 PM, NoMan said:

Curiosity. Thank you. 

In my opinion the Zones and the Weird War are not indicative of what would follow for Miller. Peter Parker 27-28 interiors we saw good solid glimpses but for my eyes the first time Miller truly looked like Miller is Daredevil 158.

Anyone know who inked Miller on those Twilight Zone issues?

Edited by MAR1979

Mike's Amazing World gives Weird War Tales #64's release date as 7 March 1978 and Twilight Zone #84's as 6 April 1978.  GCD credits Miller as penciller and inker of the story in TZ #85, with -script from Arnold Drake.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

Mike's is a great site but the data ofttimes is not accurate, I've seen this over and over again with on-sale dates. Of course not being accurate can easily be said about Overstreet, CGC and the GCD

Edit: After doing more research; #84 is confirmed as Miller's first/earliest work that was published however it's unclear if WW64 or Zone84 was on-sale first. As Western (Gold Key / Whitman) did have their own distribution channel for non-newsstand sales it's plausible Zone 84 was out a week prior to WW64. Also plausible Zone 84 was on-sale at same time or a week even 2 later. 

I'm not sure we'll ever truly know which was on-sale first and where, but I will say Zone 84 is a significantly more difficult book to find in any grade than WW64 and big-time Miller fans should want Zone 84,85 and WW64

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/18/2022 at 1:50 PM, Mr bla bla said:

Since when has that become hot / un vougue: chasing iconic artists first book or early work? 

Not sure sure when it became "hot" but at least for Miller after Overstreet noted Zone's #84 (and 85) it in the Mid 1990's it became a curiosity for some collectors.  Nowadays its 1st this 1st that in an endless loop. I personally am more a fan seeking out definitive and or historical works by a Comic artist.

=============================

So speaking of Zone #85 as child i picked my copy up from a comic vendor at an indoor flea market around the time of the 1983 Film.  I recall the dealer had half a long box full of GK Zones and #85 I thought was in nicest shape. I recall paying $2.50 which at the time for me was no small amount.  If and when it is ever graded and returns from CGC we'll see how well I did with that original purchase price :) 

Edited by MAR1979