• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does a signature offset the purple label? Amazing Spider-Man #50

29 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't see this selling for the same amount as a Universal 7.5, so I'm going to say "no".

yah.  

On 5/10/2022 at 2:12 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't see this selling for the same amount as a Universal 7.5, so I'm going to say "no".

Any ideas on price / value? Do you think it might be worth 75% of FMV Universal? If so, it's still pretty valuable.

If I just stored it for 10 years, do you think the Stan Lee sig would appreciate in value? 

On 5/10/2022 at 9:18 AM, Arr0w said:

I'm not sure how the label impacts the value. Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

I can tell you that this very copy sold two years ago for $700.  I expect it would sell for 2x~3x that amount today.  Since my name is not Nostradamus, I can't say what it would sell for 10 years from now.  However, clearly, this was a very, very generous gift!  (thumbsu

On 5/10/2022 at 3:35 PM, zzutak said:

I can tell you that this very copy sold two years ago for $700.  I expect it would sell for 2x~3x that amount today.  Since my name is not Nostradamus, I can't say what it would sell for 10 years from now.  However, clearly, this was a very, very generous gift!  (thumbsu

Thanks!! That's incredibly helpful... where can I find the sale history? Do you look it up using the CGC #?

It was a graduation present :)

On 5/10/2022 at 11:53 AM, Arr0w said:
On 5/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Any ideas on price / value? Do you think it might be worth 75% of FMV Universal? If so, it's still pretty valuable.

If I just stored it for 10 years, do you think the Stan Lee sig would appreciate in value? 

75% of FMV blue? I'd say no, but you might get lucky.

As for the second question, the question incomplete that any answer given (which would already be a half-cooked prediction) would be completely out of context and be essentially useless.  Yes I believe the Stan sig will appreciate in value over ten years.  But how much? And what about inflation/interest rates (which are quite high now), and what about the perception of restored comics?  As more previously ungraded comics are found/inherited and and graded over the next ten years, perhaps people the demand for restored comics (which is already low except for ultra keys) will diminish even more.  And what about the comic itself?  Kingpin has already been presented twice in the last 20 years, would we expect any other type of media-driven bump?  And if we're getting into the nitty gritty, your tax bracket might be different in ten years.

But generally, I would expect growth but not anticipate explosive growth for this book over the next ten years.  BUT restored books are notoriously hard to predict pricing for, as restorations vary soooooo much.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:02 PM, rexinnih said:

I've had success with having color touch removed and keeping the same grade. Might want to consider that since it's "slight."

Which company did you use?

On 5/10/2022 at 4:02 PM, rexinnih said:

I've had success with having color touch removed and keeping the same grade. Might want to consider that since it's "slight."

Wouldn't you lose the signature series designation?

On 5/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, zzutak said:

I'm not aware of any database that allows one to look up the sale history of a book based on its certification number.  And y'all can forget about "un-restoring" this particular comic:

GN.thumb.png.907ceba103a8319ac7ab6103f833de3a.png

you found the sale on gocollect, right?

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 5/10/2022 at 12:18 PM, Arr0w said:

I was gifted a sig series restored "purple/yellow" but I'm not sure how these labels are valued? Photo attached.

It's a very slight alteration, and the Stan Lee signature is really clear and perfect placement. This is such a key issue at a pretty high grade, but I'm not sure how the label impacts the value. Also, how do these labels appreciate in value, compared to regular signature series?

CGC notes are "Apparent 7.5 SS SA. SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 2/7/14 Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover."

Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

SMF.jpg

Is that you who has it listed at $4K right now ?

eBay link

Didn't like the gift ?

On 5/10/2022 at 5:10 PM, Ed Hanes said:

you found the sale on gocollect, right?

Actually, no.  Until you posted, I was not aware such a site existed.  I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!  lol  Does gocollect have any additional sale data on this particular copy?

On 5/10/2022 at 5:26 PM, zzutak said:

Actually, no.  Until you posted, I was not aware such a site existed.  I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!  lol  Does gocollect have any additional sale data on this particular copy?

GoCollect has the image of the slab, so you can do a search looking at the images..can be a little tedious but knowing the grade and label color helps a lot. GoCollect tells you which site sold it. I dont believe they have graders notes..I use GPA for that

On 5/10/2022 at 2:53 PM, Arr0w said:

I have no clue. Restored seems to fetch about 50%, Stan Lee's sig might bump it up to 55% or something. That's a completely uneducated guess, though.