• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk #1 (5/62) Graded 5.0 Newbie Question

20 posts in this topic

I recently inherited a bunch of incredible/fantastic ungraded comic books from my uncle and I quickly joined as a CGC member to get the keys graded.

I sent the first three comics to CGC directly for grading and at the time didn't fully understand the benefits of CCS pressing.   One of the 3 comics that came back,

Incredible Hulk #1 5/62    graded  5.0  off white to white.    Grader notes:

Light creasing to cover, light finger bends to cover, light tanning interior cover, light writing (pencil white area) top of back cover and tear left center of back cover wear spine breaks cover.

Not sure if should send to CCS pressing for possible upgrade..

Kind of hard to tell without pics (I've only been here three months, but I know that's what people are going to say).

In their absence, you might get a little bump, but depending on the extent of the tear on the back cover and the wear to the spine, you may not be able to get a whole lot higher than that anyway.

Pictures would help...  

There are a few pressable defects based on the notes so depending on the extent of those defects, you could potentially get a slight bump. 

However, I suspect the biggest detractors of a higher grade are things that can't be pressed. The tear on the BC for example. 

You are also talking about a pretty expensive funny book. Any time you are shipping a book to Florida and back, there is inherit risk.  Unless there is an obvious opportunity for significant improvement I likely wouldn't. 

As an aside, I'm sorry about your loss. That Hulk 1 would be a dream book. So congrats on getting some incredible comics! 

Edited by KCOComics

On 5/11/2022 at 7:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not sure that I would trust CCS with such a monumental book. They're fine for average pressing needs, but this requires a more personal touch, IMO.

Agreed. 

My experience with CCS has led me to no longer use CCS.  Check out other options, but odds are it would improve your book. Of course, that's based on your comment, not pics. 

Pictures would be a HUGE help

The finger bends and writing SHOULD be cleanable and pressable. That being said, the tear and creasing and tanning are not and those defects may be why it falls where it did. At best, I think a 0.5 bump would be possible. So weigh the risks. Maybe you spends $150 and get the same grade....maybe you spend $150, get a grade bump and up the value x amount. You can weigh the pros and cons there. 

On 5/11/2022 at 7:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not sure that I would trust CCS with such a monumental book. They're fine for average pressing needs, but this requires a more personal touch, IMO.

+1 - google CFP....

And as others have stated...pictures are needed to make even a semi-informed recommendation...

Lastly, congrats! IH1 is a "mega" key and something to be proud of in any grade...

Edited by Callaway29

On 5/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, eeo said:

I recently inherited a bunch of incredible/fantastic ungraded comic books from my uncle and I quickly joined as a CGC member to get the keys graded.

I sent the first three comics to CGC directly for grading and at the time didn't fully understand the benefits of CCS pressing.   One of the 3 comics that came back,

Light creasing to cover, light finger bends to cover, light tanning interior cover, light writing (pencil white area) top of back cover and tear left center of back cover wear spine breaks cover.

I think you should just leave well enough alone. I can think of several things that could happen where you might lose your book or have your book damaged. To me, it's just not worth the risk. You have a great book; just revel in its greatness.

On 5/14/2022 at 1:06 PM, Ozonetv said:

:image.thumb.jpeg.f85f52ef77725713a9c7e4a213c8f2c9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c91f04cb5f8d17aaa2bf01c40ed54505.jpeg

that is a really nice copy!

Difficult to tell if a press would improve the book from any picture on the internet but based on the graders notes you posted earlier I would say it is possible.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:36 PM, Artboy99 said:

that is a really nice copy!

Difficult to tell if a press would improve the book from any picture on the internet but based on the graders notes you posted earlier I would say it is possible.

This is a different book posted by someone other than the OP

On 5/14/2022 at 2:04 PM, Ozonetv said:

it is...I just posted for him to compare to another 5.0

OH, he said that it was OWW but this one is COW

On 5/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, eeo said:

I would send any books with high value potential in for pressing.  As a matter of fact, you may want to actually re-submit this book and have it pressed before being re-graded; just a .5 grade increase would more than pay for it.  

On 5/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, Forbush-Man said:

I would send any books with high value potential in for pressing.  As a matter of fact, you may want to actually re-submit this book and have it pressed before being re-graded; just a .5 grade increase would more than pay for it.  

It'll be about 3k + to take that chance...I'm not sure its worth it unless its super obvious. This might be a case where CCS prescreening would be a good option. If they think it'l bump, then I'd take the chance - if not, they'll just return it. Its worked for me 3 times now.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:17 AM, Ozonetv said:

It'll be about 3k + to take that chance...I'm not sure its worth it unless its super obvious. This might be a case where CCS prescreening would be a good option. If they think it'l bump, then I'd take the chance - if not, they'll just return it. Its worked for me 3 times now.

An even better idea. (worship)