• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally Got My 1967-1969 Gold Key Star Trek # 1,2,3 and 4 graded and slabbed. Now what?!
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Another new series is coming out!  This further confirms the exceptional staying power of the Star Trek franchise 60 years later.  It's like Scooby Doo.  Due to relative scarcity compared to even less important books, especially in higher grades, higher valuations wouldn't surprise me.  Kind of like how Marvel Spotlight 5 will always command lofty valuations in high grade.  So congrats on all those high grades!   

Edited by Pantodude

On 5/11/2022 at 12:54 AM, shadroch said:

Mycomic shop has a 9.0 #1 for $5000 and a #2 for $3,000.  I have no idea if those are realistic prices.

With consigned items sellers make up their own prices, and when MCS has no stock of their own to compare prices with, it becomes the wild west. 

Having one of only 12 Star Trek #1s in 9.2 grade makes me anxious to try to sell it. I will search for the best way to find these deep pocket Wild West collectors!

Edited by WHIG

IMHO hold on to #1 to fund a possible early retirement. Unlike poser books Trek #1 has significant steady continued growth ahead. Hold on to it tightly, future you will be very grateful you did

Edited by MAR1979

You actually see this rising in price? It does appear supply is low and there is some demand. I collect military firearms and have seen prices steadily rise with these! If you knew what I paid for these when I got them, you might be willing to sell. I have collected Star Trek items since I was a little tyke in the late 60s when TOS first broadcast on TV!

As TV and Film related goes Key Trek 1 is genuine blue chip. Unlike Star Wars 1 supply is ultra low 

My opinion given how difficult to find in 9.0 or above the growth potential is huge. I feel probable a 9.2 with WHITE pages 5 years from now will b a 25-30k book.

hold on to it tighly or you will have huge regrets

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/10/2022 at 7:28 PM, WHIG said:

I am new to this forum and posted a while ago about finding nice Original Series Gold Key Star Trek comics. I got them graded and slabbed by CGC. These came out pretty nice, especially the Star Trek #1 with White Pages. I now am researching what to do and where to sell them for the best prices. Would it be best to sell the 4 of them as a lot or separate? I know that the auction houses get top dollar. What kind of commissions do they charge for selling? Are rare graded comics bringing good prices now? 

Thank you for all of your input. This has been quite exciting. The grading process took months and was quite the investment but, apparently, well worth it. I now own one of 12 Star Trek #1 comics graded at 9.2. Very exciting!

Original post: 

DSCN7763.JPG

DSCN7767.JPG

DSCN7768.JPG

DSCN7769.JPG

DSCN7770.JPG

Are these books related to the original series episodes or different storylines altogether? I'd be curious if there's an issue that involves the "corbomite" episode where little Clint Howard appears? Well anyway, I wish they hadn't canceled it when they did. That was probably one of the dumbest cancellations ever! The show easily had a couple more good seasons to run. 

On 5/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Are these books related to the original series episodes or different storylines altogether? I'd be curious if there's an issue that involves the "corbomite" episode where little Clint Howard appears? Well anyway, I wish they hadn't canceled it when they did. That was probably one of the dumbest cancellations ever! The show easily had a couple more good seasons to run. 

As i recall there are no/zero episode adaptions in the GK series. The first couple of artists only exposure to the TV show was in the form of Stills

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, WHIG said:

Having one of only 12 Star Trek #1s in 9.2 grade makes me anxious to try to sell it. I will search for the best way to find these deep pocket Wild West collectors!

Congrats on the beautiful books and the excellent grades.  I'm sure they'll do very well either at one of the major auction houses or on consignment at fixed prices via one of the well established dealers.

As just a point of clarity, there are 30 examples of Star Trek #1 in the CGC census that were graded 9.2 or higher.  But your copy of this ish should fetch an excellent price, as being the first Star Trek comic book and having the cool photo cover have made it a highly desirable issue, and one that is uncommon in high grade.  (thumbsu

The auction option has the advantage of a well defined sell date, and so time you'll receive payment, and with no ceiling on the price it could easily surprise to the upside.  The dealer option has the advantage that you can set your own fixed price at which you'd be willing to part with the book, provided you are comfortable waiting out the time a buyer decides to pull the trigger.  I'd probably lean toward an auction, and while I've had excellent results over the years with ComicLink, think there's a chance you might do even better with Heritage, despite their much higher fee structure, as they have the largest clientele with the deepest pockets.

Edited by namisgr

On 5/16/2022 at 10:35 AM, namisgr said:

Congrats on the beautiful books and the excellent grades.  I'm sure they'll do very well either at one of the major auction houses or on consignment at fixed prices via one of the well established dealers.

As just a point of clarity, there are 30 examples of Star Trek #1 in the CGC census that were graded 9.2 or higher.  But your copy of this ish should fetch an excellent price, as being the first Star Trek comic book and having the cool photo cover have made it a highly desirable issue, and one that is uncommon in high grade.  (thumbsu

The auction option has the advantage of a well defined sell date, and so time you'll receive payment, and with no ceiling on the price it could easily surprise to the upside.  The dealer option has the advantage that you can set your own fixed price at which you'd be willing to part with the book, provided you are comfortable waiting out the time a buyer decides to pull the trigger.  I'd probably lean toward an auction, and while I've had excellent results over the years with ComicLink, think there's a chance you might do even better with Heritage, despite their much higher fee structure, as they have the largest clientele with the deepest pockets.

+1 for ComicLink