• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics with tape
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I'm considering submitting a comic that is overall in decent shape and presents well, but unfortunately has a small corner piece on the back cover that has been taped back on. The taping was done from the inside of the cover, if that makes any difference at all. I'm wondering how many grade points may be taken off for that, and would this be considered restoration? Thanks

Considering that the piece is taped back on, I would call it restoration. CGC does not have "tape" referred to on their restoration scale, though. Tape is included on the conservation scale, but only as referred to by "A-1" restoration standards. Quite convoluted.

Can't discern what hit the grade would take without pics, though.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Considering that the piece is taped back on, I would call it restoration.

You might, but I really don't think CGC will.  The grade could take quite a hit though.  (thumbsu

PRwT-40c1.thumb.jpg.14865c345ad9743c8661dfd7687f5008.jpg  PRwT-65c1.thumb.jpg.4fb23f4f5ddfb0d21caa7a1f17e7ba97.jpg

On 5/11/2022 at 6:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Considering that the piece is taped back on, I would call it restoration. CGC does not have "tape" referred to on their restoration scale, though. Tape is included on the conservation scale, but only as referred to by "A-1" restoration standards. Quite convoluted.

Can't discern what hit the grade would take without pics, though.

This is incorrect.  Tape on an book (ref. the link in another post) is noted on the label and the grade is treated as if the tape doesn't exist.  You do not get a restored grade for tape alone.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:30 AM, Stronguy said:

This is incorrect.  Tape on an book (ref. the link in another post) is noted on the label and the grade is treated as if the tape doesn't exist.  You do not get a restored grade for tape alone.

I said, "I would call it restoration", so where was I incorrect?

On 5/11/2022 at 8:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I said, "I would call it restoration", so where was I incorrect?

Lighten up, Francis.  I'm just saying that tape is not considered restoration by CGC.  It's not convoluted, it's very clear and CGC clarified it 9 years ago.

On 5/11/2022 at 7:27 AM, Stronguy said:

Lighten up, Francis.  I'm just saying that tape is not considered restoration by CGC.  It's not convoluted, it's very clear and CGC clarified it 9 years ago.

Where it gets convoluted is CGC changed it's stance on tape nine years ago so books graded before that time were held to one standard and books today are judged differently, so two books with identical amounts of tape will have very different labels depending on when they were graded. Someone may see an older book with tape in a universal label and assume that his book will get the same treatment.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, shadroch said:

Where it gets convoluted is CGC changed it's stance on tape nine years ago so books graded before that time were held to one standard and books today are judged differently, so two books with identical amounts of tape will have very different labels depending on when they were graded. Someone may see an older book with tape in a universal label and assume that his book will get the same treatment.

That's true but tape we not considered restoration even before the clarification.  CGC used to not count off as heavily for books with tape.  There are many instances where a book that had a completely split cover that was taped back together then reattached got a 1.5 rather than a .5 like it would receive today.

Has anyone tried to reholder books done before they made the change?  I have a GA book with a split cover taped together. It sits in a cracked 2.0 slab. I'd reslab it if I thought they wouldn't regrade it.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:13 AM, shadroch said:

Has anyone tried to reholder books done before they made the change?  I have a GA book with a split cover taped together. It sits in a cracked 2.0 slab. I'd reslab it if I thought they wouldn't regrade it.

My guess is, they will regrade it and you're going to get a .5.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:09 AM, Stronguy said:

My guess is, they will regrade it and you're going to get a .5.

Yep. So I paid serious money for the book, based on CGCs grade only to have them change the rules and greatly devalue the book.  

You know, with the new VHS division, we may soon see threads asking about "Tapes with Comics."