• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock market/crypto collapse effect on pricing
2 2

31 posts in this topic

My low/high estimate was $1800-$2500.

I think that's what it would do at Heritage, naturally the usual ComicLink buyer's market discount applies.

But even so - $1300 is what it should have done at least.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:18 PM, MAR1979 said:

What amount do you feel is (or was) the going rate?  My opinion is its probably within 10% of FMV

That's the price range where a page with Cap defeating the SECOND LARGEST of General Lyle Dekker's henchmen should have sold. Telling....so telling. 

On 5/14/2022 at 1:39 PM, MAR1979 said:

eBay can be a roll of the dice as the polluted with garbage Original Comic Art category is avoided by many buyers who simply don't have the time or patience to separate wheat from chaff. 

When buyers don’t have the time or patience to separate wheat from chaff, they will simply redefine wheat and chaff. 16075954-05FC-43FB-88FF-F3A164C44DD9.thumb.jpeg.5a50f839d285fa1de08fdc22f2f72e19.jpeg

Guest Race

The buying trends and spending habits of the wealthy collectors on this board did not result in the hammer price for that Secret Wars page, so how do you choose to explain it? Things are moving much faster in the collectibles world than people realize... do you know there are now "fractional collectibles ownership" models, similar to Robinhood's fractional stock ownership vehicle? Note that comics are being targeted in this model: 7 Questions for Leon Benrimon, Vice President of StartEngine, the Tech Platform That's Shaking Up the Collecting Game (artnet.com). Here are some others (not targeting comics, but same idea):

Logan Paul's Liquid Marketplace raises $8 million to let fans own fractions of prized collectibles - Tubefilter

Luxus wants the crown jewel of your portfolio to be an actual diamond | TechCrunch

FYI I am not opposed to "non-comics" money, as it benefits those of us holding desirable art in the short term. In the long term, however, it sets the stage for a terrible bubble a la Gamestop stock.

Edited by Race

On 5/16/2022 at 3:25 PM, Race said:

The buying trends and spending habits of the wealthy collectors on this board did not result in the hammer price for that Secret Wars page, so how do you choose to explain it? Things are moving much faster in the collectibles world than people realize... do you know there are now "fractional collectibles ownership" models, similar to Robinhood's fractional stock ownership vehicle?

I read somewhere or heard in an interview that someone was privy to who made that Secret Wars 8 purchase and it was in fact a seasoned collector and not a Crypto-Newbie. I'm pretty sure it was Joe Mannarino being interviewed by Bill Cox on Comic Art Live....will have to double check.

I have heard of fractional ownership. This exists in the world of contemporary art buying. I have yet to see it being attributed to comic art though and don't think we can attribute this to the recent rise in prices.

Edit : here's the video I was referring to. Listen from 7mins 15secs. Nick says the buyer is someone 'they know' and not a crypto buyer.

Edited by New School Fool

The stock market and crypto fluctuations can really keep us on our toes, right?

Your estimates make sense, especially factoring in market dynamics. But in such unpredictable times, do you think folks are looking into options like mpc wallet as a service to secure their assets during these ups and downs?

Edited by srebenscki