• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

man, I want this bad !

21 posts in this topic

I know, I saw that the other day, it's an awesome cover and I'd definitely love to own it myself, I couldn't think of an Iron Man cover that I'd like better!

Whoever gets it will be one lucky [embarrassing lack of self control]!

I wonder about the condition of this page. Even though the seller says that the cover isn't as yellow as it appears, it still looks pretty rough. Compare the white-out to the page color.

Doesn't matter what the condition of the page is,OA isn't like comics where you have to get the best possible condition,As long as nothing is disturbing the art itself it won't matter.

I wonder about the condition of this page. Even though the seller says that the cover isn't as yellow as it appears, it still looks pretty rough. Compare the white-out to the page color.

Doesn't matter what the condition of the page is,OA isn't like comics where you have to get the best possible condition,As long as nothing is disturbing the art itself it won't matter.

Ah, but condition DOES matter. I wouldn't buy any comic art that is that yellowed. It's just not attractive no matter how important the cover is.

I think many other collectors feel the same. If that cover art was bright white with no white-out, it would go for substantially more.

BTW - here's a direct link. mad.gif

I disagree. Let's say there are two very similar Bob Layton Iron Man covers, one in excellent condition and the other yellowed and has white-out. Which would you pay more for? One has a tear and the other doesn't... which would you rather have?

I disagree. Let's say there are two very similar Bob Layton Iron Man covers, one in excellent condition and the other yellowed and has white-out. Which would you pay more for? One has a tear and the other doesn't... which would you rather have?

which one would I rather have? Simple the coolest one,heck. I don't collect OA,but I'd take that Iron Man cover anyday. You can disagree al you want but the truth is that is how OA works...yellow paper,rips,tears,cuts,coffee stains and al are acceptable,just as long as nothing is hurting the art. Sorry I don't make the rules.

Sorry, that's not true.

Ask people such as Hari and Jon whether condition means anything. Since you don't collect OA, how can you say that condition doesn't bother you? Are you about to drop 5K on this cover?

You can disagree all you want but the truth is that is how OA works...yellow paper,rips,tears,cuts,coffee stains and al are acceptable,just as long as nothing is hurting the art. Sorry I don't make the rules.

That is incorrect. I think condition does impact price. The worse the condition, the lower the potential value. If it's an important cover, it will still be worth alot. But not as much as it would in pristine condition.

I agree with Paull. For example, the ASM 100 cover would have received more bids from other interested parties if it had been in nicer shape. It's true that OA is unique and there is only one original, but if that one original is beat to hell, there wont be nearly as much demand for it. Minor defects really dont seem to hurt value, but when a cover is yellowed to the point that the Iron Man cover is, it's not going to get as much interest.

If the condition is bad buy it restore it and if the artist is still alive contact them and ask them if they will do the touch up for line work and inks. That way you have the piece of art you want in the condition you want and the art is still done buy the artist and not touched up by a restoration expert just the paper it self

that. very cool cover 5k ummm not. maybe 3600 to 4 k on a good day. one of the best layton covers in my book which i used to own but got rid of it back in the day was the 1st app of the stealth armor. man that was a sweet cover.;]

larry

If I had a choice between say the Kirby covers to Avengers 4 or 5 for the same price and Avengers 4 had serious browning, tape, glue stains, tears rips and white out and Avengers 5 was clean white and perfect in every way. Theres no way I am not going to buy the Avengers 4 cover. The only example that might make me change my mind is if Cap A was a stat with nothing underneath. The recent Bat Man (was it 11?) cover and the two Action covers that were for auction were in very poor condition, but they are one of a kind. If you want that cover, thats it. Also, nostalgia can be a big factor.

Clem....

Let's not be silly... obviously the Avengers 4 cover is far superior to the Avengers 5. Only an insufficiently_thoughtful_person would take the Avengers 5 cover in that case.

We're talking about covers of similar quality and desirability, however of different condition.

Let's not be silly... obviously the Avengers 4 cover is far superior to the Avengers 5. Only an insufficiently_thoughtful_person would take the Avengers 5 cover in that case.

We're talking about covers of similar quality and desirability, however of different condition.

I'm tending to agree with Paull's last few posts here. Also, Clem, personally I thought the Golden Age DC covers that were at Heritage were in GREAT shape! I saw them in person at San Diego and they looked better than most covers from that time! Should have bought one of those Supey's.... but, it's all in the timing... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif