• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legendary's GODZILLA X KONG 2 THE NEW EMPIRE starring Dan Stevens (4/12/2024)
1 1

103 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2024 at 10:12 AM, Axelrod said:

I will see this because it is the only game in town, but I can't say I'm "excited" about it.  I will confess to getting a bit tired of watching giant CGI pixels smashing into each other again and again and again. 

I will be pleasantly surprised if there is an actual decent story that goes along with it. 

Well, I was, in fact, pleasantly surprised that there was an actual story to go along with the giant monster smashing. 

A silly story, to be sure.  And, amusingly, almost too much story, as they have to jump through a lot of hoops to try and make all these silly "Monsterverse" films at least nominally consistent with each other, despite the "mythology" being just about the most ridiculous thing ever.  Many exposition dumps.

Godzilla really did not need to be in this movie at all.  It's much more just a Kong film.

Jaws dropped at Legendary and Warner Bros. when Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire opened to $80 million in North America over Easter weekend despite getting shredded by critics. It wasn’t quite double what tracking services had predicted, but close enough. And by day 10, its global cume had hit an impressive $361.1 million as it stayed atop the chart.

So what next? “This is certainly an exciting result,” says Mary Parent, chairman of worldwide production for Josh Grode’s Legendary. Grode’s company is on an enviable winning streak, between this film and early March blockbuster Dune: Part Two.  “We are in a good position to continue the journey, but let’s see how Godzilla x Kong unfolds,” Parent says. “These are early days, but we are certainly feeling good.”

Legendary Entertainment and Warner Bros.’ Godzilla vs. Kong: The New Empire continued stomping its way to strong earnings in The Boy and the Heron‘s wake. The giant monster movie added $10.7 million in its third frame.

The tentpole’s China total sits at $110.3 million and is projected to climb as high as $130 million. The film’s global cume is $436.6 million through Sunday. Mary Parent, Legendary’s chairwoman of worldwide production, recently told The Hollywood Reporter that the studio was in a “good position to continue the journey” with the Godzilla x Kong franchise. 

Metacritic aggregated critic rating seems to be counter to audience reactions.

Screenshot_20240415-0514582.png.1fc562d192e09f7fcf146f213307c3f4.png

On 3/28/2024 at 6:49 PM, paperheart said:

and as predictable as the sun setting in the west

image.png.d8cb018a518b6bf76c5ba415b08e72c3.png

On 3/28/2024 at 11:54 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

But it's going to be fun!

It appears audiences had the same mindset. As the revenue ratio is equal to Skull Island now (easily profitable), and actuals over the weekend were much higher.

image.thumb.png.d6e4e58428d3ab32eabba9bbdb1ff746.png

Go figure!