• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to Report/Request Assistance with Possible Grading Error/Fake I Purchased?
4 4

69 posts in this topic

I want to thank everyone for their responses so far, there's been some very helpful discussion in here. I was contacted today, via email, by someone from CGC who said they have escalated this to what he called their "verification department" and said they would "look into this," so let's see what they say. I have already been ducked by the seller on my first communication, so that's a whole different issue I'm working on.

This USM#1 came in a lot and wasn't the focal point of the sale, so I didn't give it the look I usually do because that's one of my favorite Modern-Age books and I've never had a problem spotting a fake, but this time I didn't take that extra second to care and just examined the label tag and ran the number on their site. I know I'm the real person at fault here, but I never expected to have to do much more than that and that concerns me. I've got about 25 Silver/Bronze keys that I've been wanting to grade (for preservation purposes/protection rather than immediate resale) and I'm not sure how confident I am in their system if this is actually a known issue. If they screw up an Amazing Fantasy #15, ASM #1, FF #1/2/3/45-55, Hulk #1/180/181/182, GSX-M #1 or Batman #232/251...that would be pretty bad.

Let's see what they tell me after looking into it...

Yup, no Comics Code box, wrong UPC, no DIRECT EDITION, wrong ad on the back...all the stuff I usually check for. This time, though...checked the top and ran right on by. Never make that mistake again...

I'm pretty much lost when it comes to Moderns...

Are you saying that if it doesn't have the little Comics Code box, it's a KB Toys reprint? I was looking around on Ebay (hey, I was bored, alright?) and found this book advertised as a "1st print', but it doesn't have that little box. Is he wrong? Or am I just not understanding this correctly?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203957519197?hash=item2f7cd0c35d:g:CBUAAOSw0Stig~YG

On 5/16/2022 at 11:22 AM, Axe Elf said:

I would absolutely hold CGC responsible for their error, and to the extent that their error contributed to damages incurred by a consumer, they would be responsible for those damages as well.

Even Morty knows you buy the book,  not the label

Cavet Emptor 

FB_IMG_1651774283731.jpg

On 5/14/2022 at 8:12 PM, Ryan1983 said:

I'm new, so I'll be brief: I recently purchased Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (Marvel/2000) at a 9.6, #3981670012. When it arrived I noticed that it had the "My Anti-Drug" advertisement on the back and was missing the Comics Code stamp on the front, all of which match the KB Toys reprint rather than the authentic Marvel newsstand edition. How was this book graded in error and not labeled as a reprint? I'm a rookie at buying graded books, have mostly bought/sold raw for twenty years, but this struck me as odd. Am I even in the right place to address this?

Not checking a scan of the book front and back and then comparing those to the label BEFORE you purchased is on you.  

A CGC mis label is on them.

Edited by pemart1966

To be fair, this comic is confusing with all the reprints and variants.

I bought a few copies 15 years back. Cheap. I thought I was buying the Dynamic Forces variant. They all had this certificate.

20220521_073354.thumb.jpg.57692c9ca837467fe699ed986a76e87e.jpg

Years later I saw a copy (maybe in Overstreet) of the DF variant and realized my copies weren't it.

20220521_073433.jpg.765c3baf7f81c1425a90874c2713a898.jpg

20220521_073446.jpg.2a1ac5d2772505f4f3659b8e3ff0bcf4.jpg

So I looked inside. "K-B" reprint.

20220521_073557.thumb.jpg.f445fd4fcda9678e71348fb607c01e23.jpg

I still don't know what's going on here.

Edited by grendelbo

On 5/21/2022 at 7:30 AM, pemart1966 said:

Not checking a scan of the book front and back and then comparing those to the label BEFORE you purchased is on you.  

A CGC mis label is on them.

I really don't know how else to say, or illustrate, that this is my fault. Somehow I don't appear to have been clear about that...

On 5/21/2022 at 1:30 PM, Ryan1983 said:

I really don't know how else to say, or illustrate, that this is my fault. Somehow I don't appear to have been clear about that...

You may feel somewhat responsible because you have some knowledge of the item that you wish you had brought to bear sooner, but really, once the item is supposedly professionally authenticated, the real responsibility is on the authenticator.

Like I wouldn't mind buying an authentic first-print EERIE #1 ashcan edition someday, but I do not have the knowledge to be able to tell an authentic first-print from a second-print or even an outright counterfeit.  If I bought a copy that was certified to be authentic by someone who had been paid to authenticate the item and then found out they had authenticated it in error, I would feel ZERO responsibility.  I trusted the paid authenticator to know what I didn't know, and they betrayed the trust I should legitimately be able to have in their services.

Update time:

So today I received this email from CGC:

Hello,
Thank you, we had one of our Senior Graders review this for you, and they advised of the following, It's not the KB Toys reprint, but unfortunately it isn't the original either. It should be Ultimate Spider-Man Special Edition #1 from 10/01. We apologize for the situation and any inconvenience you have experienced.  Please follow the instructions below to submit your item(s) for complimentary reholder service. After you complete the online submission form a link will be provided to generate a prepaid shipping label.

Then, I got this from the sellers after telling them I was verifying this with CGC:

Sorry, we are unable to assist you with this. Best of luck!

Whoa...

So...anybody wanna buy an awful CGC error slab? hahahaha

Looks like the journey continues...

On 5/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, Ryan1983 said:

Update time:

Then, I got this from the sellers after telling them I was verifying this with CGC:

Whoa...

People have asked but you won't answer.  How did you buy this? 

If through eBay, go through the official return process, explain to eBay what happened including CGC's response.  Being part of a lot may make it more difficult but it's worth a try.  If it wasn't bought through eBay, then you're only left with sending it to CGC. 

Live and learn. 

On 5/23/2022 at 3:04 PM, Ryan1983 said:

Update time:

Whoa...

So I am not going to advise you to ever sell this without full disclosure, but (and this is likely not going to be popular) I would also advise that you do not reholder it and let CGC off the hook. Right now they really want that book back so they can fix their mistake at your cost to prevent future entanglements due to their incompetence. They are not offering you anything and pretending that they are doing you a favor with a "complementary reholder service" while very purposefully talking around the actual problem with the book without taking any real responsibility.

In short a special edition in 9.6 is probably in the range of KB reprint so maybe only worth a little more than shipping and grading fees for a modern which is quite short of what a first print 9.6 goes for. CGC isn't going to buy this book back from you but I would ask for a system credit of your choosing and get it in writing before returning the book to them, if they will not do that then I would keep the book in my collection and drag out it every so often to be petty.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:37 AM, DougC said:

So I am not going to advise you to ever sell this without full disclosure, but (and this is likely not going to be popular) I would also advise that you do not reholder it and let CGC off the hook. Right now they really want that book back so they can fix their mistake at your cost to prevent future entanglements due to their incompetence. They are not offering you anything and pretending that they are doing you a favor with a "complementary reholder service" while very purposefully talking around the actual problem with the book without taking any real responsibility.

In short a special edition in 9.6 is probably in the range of KB reprint so maybe only worth a little more than shipping and grading fees for a modern which is quite short of what a first print 9.6 goes for. CGC isn't going to buy this book back from you but I would ask for a system credit of your choosing and get it in writing before returning the book to them, if they will not do that then I would keep the book in my collection and drag out it every so often to be petty.

Funny you say that, as I've had several messages since my last posts that have mentioned almost the exact same thing, hahaha, so I think this is something that might actually be a marketable commodity some day. CGC has now sent me a few emails reminding me how easy the process will be to have this corrected. And, as of this edit, their census for the slab still represents the error...

Oh, and after blowing me off with that first, dismissive "Good Luck" message, the original seller has, daily/politely, emailed me to instead advise that their easy refund policy will take care of a return on this ASAP... 

Edited by Ryan1983

On 5/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, Ryan1983 said:

so I think this is something that might actually be a marketable commodity some day. 

Uh, no. 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, Ryan1983 said:

Oh, and after blowing me off with that first, dismissive "Good Luck" message, the original seller has, daily/politely, emailed me to instead advise that their easy refund policy will take care of a return on this ASAP... 

Then you're all set? 

Good.  End of story. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 5/24/2022 at 8:06 PM, Sigur Ros said:
On 5/24/2022 at 2:21 PM, Ryan1983 said:

so I think this is something that might actually be a marketable commodity some day. 

Uh, no. 

Yeah, CGC errors like this will never be worth anything. Far too much supply.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:21 PM, Ryan1983 said:

(thumbsu