• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to Report/Request Assistance with Possible Grading Error/Fake I Purchased?
4 4

69 posts in this topic

I'm new, so I'll be brief: I recently purchased Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (Marvel/2000) at a 9.6, #3981670012. When it arrived I noticed that it had the "My Anti-Drug" advertisement on the back and was missing the Comics Code stamp on the front, all of which match the KB Toys reprint rather than the authentic Marvel newsstand edition. How was this book graded in error and not labeled as a reprint? I'm a rookie at buying graded books, have mostly bought/sold raw for twenty years, but this struck me as odd. Am I even in the right place to address this?

On 5/14/2022 at 7:12 PM, Ryan1983 said:

I'm new, so I'll be brief: I recently purchased Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (Marvel/2000) at a 9.6, #3981670012. When it arrived I noticed that it had the "My Anti-Drug" advertisement on the back and was missing the Comics Code stamp on the front, all of which match the KB Toys reprint rather than the authentic Marvel newsstand edition. How was this book graded in error and not labeled as a reprint? I'm a rookie at buying graded books, have mostly bought/sold raw for twenty years, but this struck me as odd. Am I even in the right place to address this?

I feel bad for you, but I really hope it is seller fraud and not just another case of goofy ol' CGC faceplanting again.  We all laugh about their daily gaffes, but I would hate to see someone new to the hobby get swindled like this by a company with "Certified" and "Guaranty" in their name.

I can't really say anything to help you, though, so I'll just offer my sympathy and support--and my hope that it's all some kind of a misunderstanding.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:27 PM, Axe Elf said:

I feel bad for you, but I really hope it is seller fraud and not just another case of goofy ol' CGC faceplanting again.

Nope. CGC messed up yet again.

We all laugh about their daily gaffes, but I would hate to see someone new to the hobby

Maybe read the OP again. :gossip:

I'm new, so I'll be brief: I recently purchased Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (Marvel/2000) at a 9.6, #3981670012. When it arrived I noticed that it had the "My Anti-Drug" advertisement on the back and was missing the Comics Code stamp on the front, all of which match the KB Toys reprint rather than the authentic Marvel newsstand edition.

The what?

How was this book graded in error and not labeled as a reprint?

CGC is unbelievably awful at labeling reprints properly. But at least this one wasn't a supposed first print TMNT #1 9.8. :whistle:

I'm a rookie at buying graded books, have mostly bought/sold raw for twenty years, but this struck me as odd. Am I even in the right place to address this?

This section isn't the best place to contact CGC, but you should definitely contact CGC about this.

You should probably return the comic ASAP if it’s not the comic you wanted

On 5/14/2022 at 10:32 PM, Lazyboy said:

Maybe read the OP again.

The one in the Newbie Forum, where he says he's new?

On 5/14/2022 at 11:42 PM, Axe Elf said:

The one in the Newbie Forum, where he says he's new?

new to the hobby

have mostly bought/sold raw for twenty years

By "newsstand edition" I meant to say the standard "Direct Edition" cover with the Comics Code stamp that we all think of. This has been one weird instance of confusion for me. Do people even like these CGC errors? Is there a market for their gaffes? At this point, I kinda hope so...

On 5/15/2022 at 12:28 AM, Lazyboy said:

You quoted all that and missed the most relevant part...

I'm a rookie at buying graded books

• Administrator
On 5/14/2022 at 8:12 PM, Ryan1983 said:

Hello

If you are looking to have the label corrected, I recommend you contact customer service.  Here is how you can get in touch with them.

Mike

1-877-NM-COMIC
(1 877 662 6642) toll free
941 360 3991

service@cgccomics.com

Welcome to the boards.   Did you purchase it from eBay?   If it's not matched as it was advertised,  return it immediately.  

On 5/15/2022 at 11:33 AM, Therapy? said:

Couldn't you see this in the auction pictures?

Even if he could, that kind of misses the point.  If it has already been "certified" and "guaranteed" by, you know, a Certified Guarany Company or something, he shouldn't HAVE to go looking for evidence that the encapsulated book is not, in fact, the book certified and guaranteed to be encapsulated.

The idea of paying an objective, trusted third party to authenticate collectibles should be in order to trust their objectivity.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, Therapy? said:

Do you think is was a typo that they spelled it "guaranty"?

No; "guaranty" has a slightly narrower definition than "guarantee" (which can also be used as a verb; "guaranty" can not), and it's commonly used in financial contexts, especially by insurance companies.  Although a "guaranty" is usually a promise to pay something, in CGC's case, I think it's just there to sound reassuring--because I don't see much of a promise to pay for their mistakes in evidence here.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, Therapy? said:

CGC only guarantees two things: that the item is authentic and will be looked at by two graders.

I don't know if it was looked at by two graders or not, but they seem to have failed on the first promise where this item is concerned.

On 5/15/2022 at 3:43 PM, Therapy? said:

So the comic book he's talking about isn't genuine, it's a counterfeit copy? :screwy:

Correct; it is not a genuine copy of the book described on the label.  I think this was all covered in the OP.

On 5/15/2022 at 5:02 PM, Therapy? said:

lol now try again without the semantic BS qualifier. Is the OP''s book counterfeit?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but I'm trying to say that the book encapsulated is not the book described by the Certified Guaranty Company's label, despite what the words "certify" and "guaranty" typically connote.

On 5/15/2022 at 3:43 PM, Therapy? said:

So the comic book he's talking about isn't genuine, it's a counterfeit copy? :screwy:

Well, if you don't know what it is, how can you say it's authentic? :wink:

Also, anyone expecting Cgc to be perfect should probably consider using a different service that they think is perfect.