• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are there no Marvel Special Edition Star Wars magazines graded/slabbed?

5 posts in this topic

I looked up online to see if any of the issues of the 1977 "Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars" comic magazines were for sale, graded. I was dissapointed when I didn't see any graded. Then after checking the CGC census, I couldn't even get it to understand the title (page saying "No comics matched the search terms you entered"). I have however noticed some issues of "Marvel Super Special Magazine" graded. So, why does CGC not have any of these 3 star wars issues graded/slabbed?

s-l500.jpg

On 5/15/2022 at 10:23 PM, JMSComics said:

I looked up online to see if any of the issues of the 1977 "Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars" comic magazines were for sale, graded. I was dissapointed when I didn't see any graded. Then after checking the CGC census, I couldn't even get it to understand the title (page saying "No comics matched the search terms you entered"). I have however noticed some issues of "Marvel Super Special Magazine" graded. So, why does CGC not have any of these 3 star wars issues graded/slabbed?

s-l500.jpg

They are called Treasury Editions and as others have said, they are bigger than the magazines you have found graded and there is not enough demand to create a case for them.  Those cases would be even more flimsy than the CGC magazine cases. 

That said, CBCS will grade it and seal it in a plastic sleeve. It just doesn't have the protection of a hard case. 

People have already answered...magazines CGC will grade and have a holder for. Those treasuries are substantially larger and CGC does not as of yet have a slab for them.

CGC needs to fix their horrible magazine slabs first before they worry about tackling something to contain a treasury sized comic. The magazine ones are flimsy and prone to easy damage when shipped.