• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auction Shipping Prices too expensive!?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Hello all.

I have been away from collecting for a few years. The last few months I have some had time to start collecting again. Yesterday I won an auction for a single book unslabbed with a value under $250.

I called Heritage today and they sent me 2 quo notes for shipping to Ontario Canada.

My 2 choices were way overpriced.

Here they are:

HA PREFERRED (FedEx or UPS)

$                                            89.88

**USPS INTL PRIORITY MAIL

ISI REQUIRED

$                                            50.46

This is crazy and gouging . I purchased a book from a great boardie  Croc Hunter 2 weeks ago and he got me shipping for $22.10 from the US to Canada.

What's with this pricing!?

I know inflation has caused increases, but this is ridiculous. I have asked for a similar quote from Heritage that I received from Croc Hunter.

I am awaiting Heritage's response.

Edited by cheta42

Considering the shipping is 1/3 the cost of the book I purchased, this will sway me away from using Heritage Auctions again in the future. They have always been expensive, but this is simple gouging.

Edited by cheta42

On 5/17/2022 at 7:06 PM, cheta42 said:

Considering the shipping is 1/3 the cost of the book I purchased, this will sway me away from using Heritage Auctions again in the future. They have always been expensive, but this is simple gauging.

Gauging is when you gradually stretch out your earlobes with bigger and bigger earrings.

Price gouging is charging inordinate fees.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:20 AM, Axe Elf said:

Gauging is when you gradually stretch out your earlobes with bigger and bigger earrings.

Price gouging is charging inordinate fees.

Unless you overpay for having your earlobes stretched out. (shrug)

On 5/18/2022 at 1:25 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Unless you overpay for having your earlobes stretched out. (shrug)

Then you have to gauge how much gouging you'll accept with your gauging.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:22 AM, Axe Elf said:

Then you have to gauge how much gouging you'll accept with your gauging.

Ha! Indeed.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:59 PM, cheta42 said:

Hello all.

I have been away from collecting for a few years. The last few months I have some had time to start collecting again. Yesterday I won an auction for a single book unslabbed with a value under $250.

I called Heritage today and they sent me 2 quo notes for shipping to Ontario Canada.

Here they are:

ISI REQUIRED

This is crazy and gouging . I purchased a book from a great boardie  Croc Hunter 2 weeks ago and he got me shipping for $22.10 from the US to Canada.

I know inflation has caused increases, but this is ridiculous. I have asked for a similar quote from Heritage that I received from Croc Hunter.

Those prices don't sound too out of line with what I've seen for shipping to Canada currently for FedEx and USPS priority.  

On 5/18/2022 at 2:45 PM, buttock said:

Those prices don't sound too out of line with what I've seen for shipping to Canada currently for FedEx and USPS priority.  

Yea, I'm wondering what rock OP is living under.  US to Canada shipping has always been expensive.   A 1lb package from NYC to Ontario Fedex is $192.24 for economy or $203.52 for priority.  USPS Medium Flat Rate is $56.80.  

On 5/17/2022 at 4:59 PM, cheta42 said:

Hello all.

Here they are:

ISI REQUIRED

Yes, Heritage is expensive for shipping.  When Croc Hunter ships to you he's only charging you for his cost to ship.  When Heritage ships to you they're charging for the cost to ship to you plus their time to package the book/books and get them to the shipper, plus likely a little extra for profit.  Good luck negotiating a better shipping rate.

I manage this by asking them to hold my wins until I request shipping, usually about once a year.  Right now I have about 50 raw books and one graded book being held.  The cost to ship one book or many is almost the same. 

Also, avoid UPS for shipping to Canada.  They often charge ridiculous customs border fees for no other reason than they can.  

On 5/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, thehumantorch said:

Yes, Heritage is expensive for shipping.  When Croc Hunter ships to you he's only charging you for his cost to ship.  When Heritage ships to you they're charging for the cost to ship to you plus their time to package the book/books and get them to the shipper, plus likely a little extra for profit.  Good luck negotiating a better shipping rate.

I manage this by asking them to hold my wins until I request shipping, usually about once a year.  Right now I have about 50 raw books and one graded book being held.  The cost to ship one book or many is almost the same. 

Also, avoid UPS for shipping to Canada.  They often charge ridiculous customs border fees for no other reason than they can.  

ComicLink is very expensive as well ($70+ to Canada)

Anybody knows if they will hold wins for some time?

On 5/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, thehumantorch said:

I was thinking the same by holding multiple books and then ship, but after speaking to their customer relations I decided I will not purchase from Heritage again.

I was able to get them to drop $10 off of USPS priority and they said this would be the only time this would be offered. I was talked to like a child by their customer service representatives. I have been working with Bay St clients( Canada's version of Wall St.) in Toronto for 25 years. I would never speak to my clients the way Heritage spoke to me. It seems that the customer is not always right in their books.

This will be my last purchase through Heritage as I stated earlier. I will buy from you Torchie at the next show here in Canada and save the $65 dollar shipping fee.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:41 PM, cheta42 said:

I was thinking the same by holding multiple books and then ship, but after speaking to their customer relations I decided I will not purchase from Heritage again.

I was able to get them to drop $10 off of USPS priority and they said this would be the only time this would be offered. I was talked to like a child by their customer service representatives. I have been working with Bay St clients( Canada's version of Wall St.) in Toronto for 25 years. I would never speak to my clients the way Heritage spoke to me. It seems that the customer is not always right in their books.

This will be my last purchase through Heritage as I stated earlier. I will buy from you Torchie at the next show here in Canada and save the $65 dollar shipping fee.

I'm surprised you managed to get anything off the shipping.  You're always welcome to come to Alberta and buy off us - the Calgary Expo show is wonderful - but Heritage is tough to beat for quality books and collections.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:47 PM, thehumantorch said:

I'm surprised you managed to get anything off the shipping.  You're always welcome to come to Alberta and buy off us - the Calgary Expo show is wonderful - but Heritage is tough to beat for quality books and collections.

It did not take long actually. After being ignored initially I asked for the head of customer relations. I wanted to speak to them directly to see the quality of their customer relations.

When dealing with clients you should always listen to their concerns and try to defuse the issue and make them feel better. Heritage failed. The person talked over me and tried to bully me down to hear their side only. I listened and pushed back. I believe in free markets and if this is the way Heritage wants to do business that is their right. Just as it is my right to not purchase from them going forward.