• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian "Annual", need help identifying
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Newest batch of beaters has a mystery comic in it. Alas the front cover is gone, along with most of the spine strip.

Canadian for sure, back cover has an ad with an Ontario address.

176 interior pages, Canadian reprints of American comics, all dated 1950.

The Kilroys 25, 48 pages

Hopalong Cassidy 39, 48 pages

Airboy V7 #1, 48 pages

Romantic Adventures 10, 32 pages 

Hoppy and Airboy include the indicia, and show as being printed in Canada. That's a durned good size package, and I'm thinking either a rebound batch or an Annual.

Sound familiar to anyone?

20220518_142153.jpg

20220518_142200.jpg

20220518_142214.jpg

20220518_142226.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Sure enough, Kilroys 25, not 27.

I must've misread something or jotted it down wrong. The Airboy is also a Canadian edition according to the indicia, so I'm assuming the other two are too.

I've  been digging here and there today and can't find any information about any large rebound Canadian comics except the legendary Captain America book.

Anyone have any fat rebound Canadian books in their collection?

Rick:

Can you show the first page of the Hopalong Cassidy, Airboy and Romantic Adventures books (similar to what you did with the Kilroys 25)? I'm wondering if Export Publishing might have clumped these 4 into one book before their fire in late 1950. Export did publish (in Canada) the Airboy, and the Romantic Adventures.  Export looks like they published a few bound volumes containing various US titles. Perhaps the bound volume you found is one of these issues (not sure if they know of a #1 or #5 (shrug)):

https://www.comics.org/series/25347/covers/

Maybe our local (!) expert on Canadian books can assist.

@eccomic

Looks like Heritage's information on the Big Smash Bargain Comics 6 removes it from being your volume.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/big-smash-bargain-comics-6-no-publisher-1951-condition-vg/a/121646-12307.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|1

Edited by BuscemasAvengers

On 5/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, catrick339 said:

Sure enough, Kilroys 25, not 27.

I must've misread something or jotted it down wrong. The Airboy is also a Canadian edition according to the indicia, so I'm assuming the other two are too.

I've  been digging here and there today and can't find any information about any large rebound Canadian comics except the legendary Captain America book.

Anyone have any fat rebound Canadian books in their collection?

If you're referring to the 128 page 1942 Captain America comic, my understanding is that this does not consist of rebound books but was rather printed separately and in black and white.  It contains stories from previously published books however.

Same scenario for the 128 page Marvel Mystery book of 1943.

Edited by pemart1966

Hi

I have 6 of these Can only dig of 4 of them now) and they are rebound books that Export sold single then rebound many under various titles

Big Bargain, Big Master, Big Giant, Big Holiday and Romance-Adventure Thrills for example.

None of mine match your stories exactly and they may have made at least 6 issues of each of these titles

I've seen 2 Big Master issues with the same cover but different books inside so each may have a unique set of remaindered books

Jim

On 5/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, Subliminal said:

I've seen 2 Big Master issues with the same cover but different books inside so each may have a unique set of remaindered books

Jim

Quite common for these volumes to have a variety of titles/issue #s that vary from bound copy to bound copy.

Woowoo!

I was certain somebody in the Hive Mind had some experience with this stuff!

Without the front cover there's no chance of a positive ID,  but I'm delighted to have some titles to look for.

Many thanks to all!

B

On 5/20/2022 at 8:04 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Rick:

Can you show the first page of the Hopalong Cassidy, Airboy and Romantic Adventures books (similar to what you did with the Kilroys 25)? I'm wondering if Export Publishing might have clumped these 4 into one book before their fire in late 1950. Export did publish (in Canada) the Airboy, and the Romantic Adventures.  Export looks like they published a few bound volumes containing various US titles. Perhaps the bound volume you found is one of these issues (not sure if they know of a #1 or #5 (shrug)):

https://www.comics.org/series/25347/covers/

Maybe our local (!) expert on Canadian books can assist.

@eccomic

Been busy running a garage sale all weekend,  will try to snap some pix this evening or tomorrow, for folks who may be interested.