• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Returns To Marvel Studios
1 1

33 posts in this topic

My concern is who truly benefits from this licensing agreement?

Reading the article it is "Stan Lee Universe, a venture between Genius Brands International and POW! Entertainment".
After some Google searches I see he has one heir that he had a strained relationship with.
I've read horror stories on these boards and abroad that it seemed like near the end of Stan's life that his caregivers didn't have the best intentions.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:21 PM, Troy Division said:

My concern is who truly benefits from this licensing agreement?

Reading the article it is "Stan Lee Universe, a venture between Genius Brands International and POW! Entertainment".
After some Google searches I see he has one heir that he had a strained relationship with.
I've read horror stories on these boards and abroad that it seemed like near the end of Stan's life that his caregivers didn't have the best intentions.

I think you really want to ask who does this licensing agreement harm; which I suppose most would say the memory of Stan Lee if this licensing agreement is grossly misused

But as for who it benefits, I guess Marvel does since they get to keep using the likeness of one their icons, and it would also benefit Stan Lee's legacy if it is used responsibly, letting newer generations of fans continue to see his image front and center in things marvel related. The key part being "If its used responsibly"

All in all, for now, with how their intentions at the moment are stated in the article, I don't see anything wrong here. But I do see the potential for this being something "extremely gross and creepy" like people put it, and I'll even concede it has a good chance of ending up that way, I just like to be optimistic when it comes to stuff like this

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/19/2022 at 2:09 PM, mattn792 said:

I view Greggy as an abstract concept rather than a physical being.  Unlike Stan, death cannot deprive us of Greggy.

Oh lord Deliver us from Greggy

Are we talking about stuff like this that’s been going on for a loooooong time? 
Marilyn?

James Dean?

Babe Ruth?

Elvis?

John Wayne? 

Ted Williams head stored in a cryogenic storage space? 

The Wax Museum? 

The Simpsons? 

A sheet that John Lennon slept on and  cut up into a thousand pieces and sold individually for $$$ a pop? 

I don't think the problem is Marvel using his likeness in merch, movies and theme parks, but that they will have the exclusive rights to his likeness.

"The rights to use Lee’s name, voice, likeness and signature exclusively in theme parks, cruise lines and in-park merchandise were also included in the deal"

If Marvel wants to make money off his likeness, more power to them. But I don't think it's right for Marvel to essentially "own" him after death without any say from him.

Aren't the people who Marvel purchased the license from the same vultures and leeches who made Stan's last days on this earth a living hell? Eff them and Disney.

Stan Lee was already a character in the Marvel Universe going back to the 60's, so it makes some sense. My guess is, they want to enshrine him as a Walt Disney-like figurehead for the Marvel brand.

It sounds like fans are afraid they're going to start doing movie cameos with a bad CG version. It's possible, but hopefully they show more restraint...