• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1994 MTG....unlimited or FRevised?

13 posts in this topic

I used to vend sports cards at shows and added MTG singles when they first came out.  It has been near 25 years since I ended vending.  I recently decided to have the cards we still had graded via CGC, most are the 1994 edition.  Truthfully I have no idea if they are revised or unlimited, in several ways they might be unlimited but I cannot be sure.  When I sent them in to be graded by CGC I listed them a revised.  My question is -- if I personally list them as revised and they may in fact be unlimited will CGC note the difference and list on the grading tab the correct version or just go by what I list it as in the siubmission form??

You could probably ask in the “ask Cgc” section

or contact Cgc directly

On 5/27/2022 at 4:02 PM, katldog said:

I used to vend sports cards at shows and added MTG singles when they first came out.  It has been near 25 years since I ended vending.  I recently decided to have the cards we still had graded via CGC, most are the 1994 edition.  Truthfully I have no idea if they are revised or unlimited, in several ways they might be unlimited but I cannot be sure.  When I sent them in to be graded by CGC I listed them a revised.  My question is -- if I personally list them as revised and they may in fact be unlimited will CGC note the difference and list on the grading tab the correct version or just go by what I list it as in the siubmission form??

Unlimited have darker colors and Revised have lighter colors. But the best way to tell is the artist name/copyright:

Revised cards tend to sit on top of the black line/border at the bottom of the card.

Unlimited cards will sit more in the middle of the space that sits between the black line and the card’s text.

On 5/27/2022 at 7:02 PM, katldog said:

Do some research first. Here's one link. There are many others

https://help.tcgplayer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025635234-How-do-I-identify-card-sets-

thank you...my first time using the forum.  I found the Ask CGC.  I purchased MTG over a 3 year period so needed some help. I appreciate your taking the time to reply

Reason I asked is when I inquired about how to tell difference from someone on line -- besides for brightness of color, I was told in unlimited artists name had less distance between it and border edge, also card name was closer to the border???  I have included photo of one card - any advice

fast  XX.jpg

Edited by katldog
add photo

werner von doom...got it, did more research to see artist name and its location!!  So very helpful. My first info seems to have been wrong.

Beyond that I was hoping for an answer from CGC -- if a sender list incorrect edition in submission will they correct it upon grading?  MTG and gaming cards are quite  different then sports cards....and we only really had PSA back then

On 5/28/2022 at 5:34 PM, katldog said:

thank you...my first time using the forum.  I found the Ask CGC.  I purchased MTG over a 3 year period so needed some help. I appreciate your taking the time to reply

Reason I asked is when I inquired about how to tell difference from someone on line -- besides for brightness of color, I was told in unlimited artists name had less distance between it and border edge, also card name was closer to the border???  I have included photo of one card - any advice

fast  XX.jpg

that's revised

Unlimited vs Revised MTG Comparison Table

Feature Unlimited Revised
White Border
Light Colors  
Dark Colors  
Only English Text  
No Copyright Symbol
Artist Name Centered
Card Name to the Left  
Tap Symbol  
Mana Symbols in Textbox  
Unlimited vs Revised MTG

Another difference is that the edge of the color on the card has a small beveled edge on unlimited.   

Revised doesn't have it.

You can see the beveled edge on the right hand side of the fastbond I posted above, right before the black line that separates the main part of the card from the white border.

It is not present on your card.   Your card matches revised which is below.   No beveled edge at the black.

Its a subtle test, but I believe its one that works for every single card in the set, so its very reliable. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Bronty

For clarity, this is the beveled edge.

Perhaps a clearer way to say it is that unlimited has one thin and one thick black border where the graphics end, and revised has a single black border there.    So once you know to look for it, there can never be any confusion.

Inkedfastbond_LI.jpg

Edited by Bronty

On 5/27/2022 at 4:02 PM, katldog said:

I'd hope that cgc can easily tell unlimited from revised.  If they put the wrong set on the tab I'd never trust anything they graded.