• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's Big 3 Cover Appearances From Action 1 (6/38) to just before Showcase 4 (10/1956)
3 3

38 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2022 at 8:44 PM, sfcityduck said:
On 5/31/2022 at 8:41 PM, Robot Man said:

Wouldn’t Wonder Woman be considered a part of the DC big three? 

Not when it comes to cover appearances!

FWIW, her count is 263 cover appearances (unless mistaken)

Wonder Woman 1 - 85 (85 covers)

Sensation 1 - 106 (106 covers)

All-Star 11 - 22, 24 - 50, 52, 54, 57 (42 covers)

Comic Cavalcade 1 - 29 (29 covers)

Big All-American Comic Book (1 cover)

for a total of 263 over that time period but she had a late start.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:25 PM, Scrooge said:

FWIW, her count is 263 cover appearances (unless mistaken)

Wonder Woman 1 - 85 (85 covers)

Sensation 1 - 106 (106 covers)

All-Star 11 - 22, 24 - 50, 52, 54, 57 (42 covers)

Comic Cavalcade 1 - 29 (29 covers)

Big All-American Comic Book (1 cover)

for a total of 263 over that time period but she had a late start.

@skypinkblu Can you think of any others?

On 5/31/2022 at 9:14 PM, sfcityduck said:

When I look at the list in the first post, what leaps out to me is that post D 38 there are 11 covers of Batman and Detective on which there's no Robin.  Everyone wants pre-Robin.  Does anyone collect the post-Robin no Robin covers?  

For collectors that hate Robin that's still a non-starter. He may not be on the covers of those books but they know he still lurks within the pages.

On 6/1/2022 at 2:32 AM, sfcityduck said:

I'm also wondering who appeared on the fewest covers (with a minimum of 1, sorry Aquaman you are DQ'd).  Maybe Robotman?  I can only think of one for him. 

Main characters, or are you including side kicks? Do people like Sun Girl and Namora count? or was this just DC?

Edited by skypinkblu

On 6/1/2022 at 5:11 AM, skypinkblu said:

Main characters, or are you including side kicks? Do people like Sun Girl and Namora count? or was this just DC?

I am thinking DC heros, I assume it will be a back up hero.  Aquaman got zero covers as did others, so they do not count.  Robotman was around a long time but I can only think of one cover for him but it may be a bit of a cheat.  Wildcat made a few All-Star covers.  The Seven Soldiers all got covers and some even were on covers for other titles.  Dr. Thirteen got his run and Phantom Stranger had his series. Just curious.

On 6/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, sfcityduck said:

I am thinking DC heros, I assume it will be a back up hero.  Aquaman got zero covers as did others, so they do not count.  Robotman was around a long time but I can only think of one cover for him but it may be a bit of a cheat.  Wildcat made a few All-Star covers.  The Seven Soldiers all got covers and some even were on covers for other titles.  Dr. Thirteen got his run and Phantom Stranger had his series. Just curious.

Well, I was thinking Green Arrow for Leading and I believe he was on a few or at least one More Fun.

Hourman had at least one Adventure cover and he was on some of the All Stars.. Spectre was on a lot more than he was....Sandman was on early Adventures and I think some later ones. Starman? Star Spangled Kid? 1776582309_adventurecomics52cgc.thumb.jpg.7cbb136b8a7d1031628205b4c04e93e0.jpgI'll have to sit down an think or find my Gerber's guide, lol.

Fun game though! 

On 6/1/2022 at 2:32 AM, sfcityduck said:

I'm also wondering who appeared on the fewest covers (with a minimum of 1, sorry Aquaman you are DQ'd).  Maybe Robotman?  I can only think of one for him. 

Crimson Avenger - 1 , Tec 22

On 6/2/2022 at 2:03 PM, skypinkblu said:

If you are going with Jimmy, check out Lois...she has about 23 cover appearances on Superman and I stopped counting at 25 for Action Comics

https://www.comics.org/series/116/covers/?page=3  https://www.comics.org/series/97/covers/?page=5

He's not going with Jimmy, just Superman on the pre-SA Jimmy covers...

Anyway, Lois wouldn't have enough total GA cover appearances to be a contender in this contest.  And her own series didn't start until 1958. :)

On 6/2/2022 at 7:26 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

He's not going with Jimmy, just Superman on the pre-SA Jimmy covers...

Anyway, Lois wouldn't have enough total GA cover appearances to be a contender in this contest.  And her own series didn't start until 1958. :)

I have her series, lol...the WHOLE series;) but I thought he was talking about Secondary characters...thanks for the clarification!

On 6/1/2022 at 12:32 PM, skypinkblu said:

Well, I was thinking Green Arrow for Leading and I believe he was on a few or at least one More Fun.

Hourman had at least one Adventure cover and he was on some of the All Stars.. Spectre was on a lot more than he was....Sandman was on early Adventures and I think some later ones. Starman? Star Spangled Kid? 1776582309_adventurecomics52cgc.thumb.jpg.7cbb136b8a7d1031628205b4c04e93e0.jpgI'll have to sit down an think or find my Gerber's guide, lol.

Fun game though! 

Hourman had a dozen covers, but from that same series I would point to Manhunter being the hero that had limited appearances (3 total cover appearances - see below).

Not sure about DC specifically, but there were some Marvel characters I recall who had only a single cover appearance (I think Black Marvel had one Mystic Comics cover appearance)

manhuntcovers.thumb.jpg.a5fb89021caeb260ab679b165cea6191.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog