• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convince me not to sell my entire comic book collection... Or don't.
7 7

105 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, MisterX said:

Depending on how you sell the comics, it takes a lot of time and effort. How were you thinking of doing this?

On your own, you'd have to scan, list, pack, ship, deal with buyers, etc.  How much is your time worth?  You first post doesn't mention your day job, time with family & friends, other hobbies, etc.

However, If you enjoy selling your books this way you might maximize your profit, as opposed to option #2 --

If you try to sell to a dealer, be aware you'll probably need to leave a lot of the "good stuff" in there to make buying the whole collection a more attractive option, rather than being cherry-picked. 

A few people have mentioned the work and effort it will take to sell such a large collection. Fortunately, this is an area I have some experience in. I've moved a couple of large collections before, with pretty good rate of return.

The one thing I won't do is sell my collection in its entirety to another dealer or investor. I know what kinds of offers I'm going to get and I'm not going to undersell my books. I know there are folks in the industry here so I will add that by no means should anyone take this as an insult. I just know you also have to make your profit margins and that's not in line with what I'd hope to accomplish if I sell my collection.

My experience has been to just sell large number of books on my own. I deal almost exclusively with eBay. Yeah, it's a mess and chaotic, but it's accessible and familiar. I am happy to take any suggestions regarding alternatives, though. When I do sell, my strategy is to arrange the collection into four groups:

• First, I'll pick out the big-dollar/key books to sell individually. My "Thor" 337, to use just one example, which I recall is in 9.0-9.2 condition, will certainly not be sold in a large lot or some such.
  • Next, I put together "deep runs" of popular titles. The older the books, the shorter the run but I'm talking at least about a dozen books or more and as many as 50-60 in each lot.
  • Then I put together lots or related titles. To use one example from a collection that I flipped a couple of years ago, I put together a group of different Marvel Venom limited series. The five or six series individually probably would have topped out at $10 per lot (about $1.50-$2.00 per book). Combined, the couple-dozen or so books sold for $100.
  • Finally, I'm left with the stuff that usually winds up in "one-quarter per book/five for a buck" bins at LCS's everywhere. In the past, I've rarely made anything on these; they've been only good for minimal amounts of store credit. Mostly, I've donated boxes of these to charities, libraries, and most importantly, budding readers/collectors.

If I do wind up selling my collection, I'm just going to approach it the same way, albeit even more meticulously than I have in the past. And if that takes longer than our timeline allows, I'm not above getting a storage space temporarily to hold the stock until it's all gone.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:37 AM, Galen130 said:

I sell to collectors here, instead of knuckleheads out there.

This statement rings so true. It's one of the reasons that I enjoyed record collecting less and less, and wanted to get back into comics. Different group of people here, in a positive way.

On 6/1/2022 at 10:50 AM, Dr. Balls said:

This statement rings so true. It's one of the reasons that I enjoyed record collecting less and less, and wanted to get back into comics. Different group of people here, in a positive way.

How do you guys go about it, may I ask- collections are listed in the "Mixed Ages" thread, right? 

On 6/1/2022 at 7:49 AM, Ariamus said:

A few people have mentioned the work and effort it will take to sell such a large collection. Fortunately, this is an area I have some experience in. I've moved a couple of large collections before, with pretty good rate of return.

The one thing I won't do is sell my collection in its entirety to another dealer or investor. I know what kinds of offers I'm going to get and I'm not going to undersell my books. I know there are folks in the industry here so I will add that by no means should anyone take this as an insult. I just know you also have to make your profit margins and that's not in line with what I'd hope to accomplish if I sell my collection.

My experience has been to just sell large number of books on my own. I deal almost exclusively with eBay. Yeah, it's a mess and chaotic, but it's accessible and familiar. I am happy to take any suggestions regarding alternatives, though. When I do sell, my strategy is to arrange the collection into four groups:

• First, I'll pick out the big-dollar/key books to sell individually. My "Thor" 337, to use just one example, which I recall is in 9.0-9.2 condition, will certainly not be sold in a large lot or some such.
  • Next, I put together "deep runs" of popular titles. The older the books, the shorter the run but I'm talking at least about a dozen books or more and as many as 50-60 in each lot.
  • Then I put together lots or related titles. To use one example from a collection that I flipped a couple of years ago, I put together a group of different Marvel Venom limited series. The five or six series individually probably would have topped out at $10 per lot (about $1.50-$2.00 per book). Combined, the couple-dozen or so books sold for $100.
  • Finally, I'm left with the stuff that usually winds up in "one-quarter per book/five for a buck" bins at LCS's everywhere. In the past, I've rarely made anything on these; they've been only good for minimal amounts of store credit. Mostly, I've donated boxes of these to charities, libraries, and most importantly, budding readers/collectors.

If I do wind up selling my collection, I'm just going to approach it the same way, albeit even more meticulously than I have in the past. And if that takes longer than our timeline allows, I'm not above getting a storage space temporarily to hold the stock until it's all gone.

That's a great playbook .... for the 1980s.   Times have changed, buyers don't collect the way they used to .

On 6/1/2022 at 8:54 AM, wisbyron said:

How do you guys go about it, may I ask- collections are listed in the "Mixed Ages" thread, right? 

Not necessarily.  I have two threads…one in Copper/Modern and one in GA/SA/BA.  Go to those forums and check out the rules and info. (thumbsu

On 6/2/2022 at 12:49 AM, Ariamus said:

Okay long-lost-Uncle Ariamus, I'll gladly take the GS X-Men 1,to keep it in the family. You know, family things. :whistle:

On 6/1/2022 at 8:54 AM, wisbyron said:

I haven't sold here in awhile, but when I did, I would break out my sales into their respective categories (GA/SA/BA and Modern). I would wait a few days in between so I wouldn't have two threads going at once (which I think is against the rules anyway - or maybe it used to be). So one week I'd sell old stuff and close the thread, the next week I'd sell Moderns.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 6/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, Cat said:

Okay long-lost-Uncle Ariamus, I'll gladly take the GS X-Men 1,to keep it in the family. You know, family things. :whistle:

Sure thing... IIRC, my copy of GSXM 1 is about a 4.5-5.0 grade. So, just send on over $250 or so and we're golden. (thumbsu

On 6/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, Ariamus said:

Sure thing... IIRC, my copy of GSXM 1 is about a 4.5-5.0 grade. So, just send on over $250 or so and we're golden. (thumbsu

:takeit:

On 6/1/2022 at 11:13 AM, jsilverjanet said:
On 6/1/2022 at 11:09 AM, Ariamus said:

:takeit:

On 6/1/2022 at 11:17 AM, ickwinzs said:

Yup , he hasn't been paying attention for awhile

:jokealert: ... :whistle:

On 6/1/2022 at 9:49 AM, Ariamus said:

With this approach, or your more meticulous one, it sounds like you want to spend all of your empty-nest years selling your comic collection.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:28 AM, manetteska said:
On 6/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, Ariamus said:

Expand  

With this approach, or your more meticulous one, it sounds like you want to spend all of your empty-nest years selling your comic collection.

Yeah... I'll probably just keep it. :tonofbricks:

On 6/1/2022 at 8:05 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I haven't sold here in awhile, but when I did, I would break out my sales into their respective categories (GA/SA/BA and Modern). I would wait a few days in between so I wouldn't have two threads going at once (which I think is against the rules anyway - or maybe it used to be). So one week I'd sell old stuff and close the thread, the next week I'd sell Moderns.

I do all my sales in GA/SA/BA. I sell mostly affordable GA. But whatever I think might sell or at least be related or interesting. I have been known to post pulps, magazines, old toys, premiums and the like sprinkled in. I get lots of views and positive comments. I like to keep my sales threads fun. 

Mixed is the graveyard for sales threads. If I had to do it there, I probably wouldn’t bother. 

I have a much smaller collection and have not added a book in 30+ years. I got into OA and reading comics again (digitally) about 10 years ago. I have rarely gone through my collection, it was special but not active.

About 8 years ago one of my best friends bought my favorite comics, my Ron Lim Silver Surfer, cosmic, and Thanos stuff. I haven't missed it once and I'm glad he has it.

I've also collected vinyl for about 30 years and sold an acquaintance my favorite records (The Orb), mostly gained while living in London and europe. I listen to everything digitally, so much more convenient. Hard to sell, but haven't missed em a bit.

I also have books that take up too much space that I need to get rid of. I've tried reading digitally and I prefer physical books but I stopped buying them and used the library 15-20 years ago.

I've got plenty of space, I just prefer having less things lately. :)

Pick your Top 25, get them slabbed, and sell / donate the rest.

I've shared this a few times on these boards...
After my father (who lived out-of-state) passed, my sister and I were saddled with handling his estate...which also included a lot of my grandparent's estate.
My sister and I had our own families and homes.
It was not easy or feasible for us.
We donated everything except photo albums, his home, and truck.

I returned home afterward and set about limiting my comic collection to 25 items (then updated to 50).
It has been 'freeing' to say the least.
Also, after moving 4 times in the last 5 years my back thanks me for it.

On 6/1/2022 at 10:57 AM, shadroch said:

That's a great playbook .... for the 1980s.   Times have changed, buyers don't collect the way they used to .

I disagree. That approach works for me. Keys of any kind are usually taken out and sold for as close to market value as I can get.

Runs of issues of desired titles and characters have sold well for me on FB and ebay

And random character related lots I sell locally. Lots consisting of 10, 15, 20 comics for $15, $20 or $25 I toss up on a local buy and sell page, and usually are sold within a few weeks.

It's the obscure stuff (or low grade stuff that has little valye) you would find in $1 or less bins that I cannot move. So I toss them in as freebies when someone buys one of the key books OR I bulk out at less than 20 cents a book. Or I donate them to children to hopefully inspire one person to continue collecting comics.