• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I put my comics in a storage locker(Climate controlled)
1 1

47 posts in this topic

When I asked CIS about covering a storage unit, I was told it was best to have a seperate policy just for the books in the unit or I'd pay 15% extra on every thing.  They wanted something else as well. I forget what it was but it was proof of something that the storage manager told me he could fax them.

My renters insurance covers the contents of my storage unit, but only for about $2500, and not from flooding.  

I was curious about Hector's situation so I contacted CIS. When I got my policy, the agent told me in no uncertain terms, they do not cover storage facilities, at all. 

Now, I have an email from them, saying yes they do cover storage but it has to be a named location. They didn't mention anything about any premium increase. 

On 6/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, Lpgk said:

I was curious about Hector's situation so I contacted CIS. When I got my policy, the agent told me in no uncertain terms, they do not cover storage facilities, at all. 

Now, I have an email from them, saying yes they do cover storage but it has to be a named location. They didn't mention anything about any premium increase. 

I was going through a dealer request and due to the amount/cost maybe that's why i am being told about the premium

haven't had time to speak to a rep

On 6/8/2022 at 8:40 AM, shadroch said:

When I asked CIS about covering a storage unit, I was told it was best to have a seperate policy just for the books in the unit or I'd pay 15% extra on every thing.  They wanted something else as well. I forget what it was but it was proof of something that the storage manager told me he could fax them.

My renters insurance covers the contents of my storage unit, but only for about $2500, and not from flooding.  

when i had the water damage, i think i only got the bare minimum at the units coverage so i only got half of what i lost. it wasn't that much but never had any issues since then

On 6/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, lemonman6 said:

I’ll give you one picture to show you why storage lockers are bad for comics.

Last year, I decided to put boxes of comics into storage temporarily and this was the result barely 3 months later. The storage company initially told me insurance would cover it and played dumb when this happened. 350 dollars a month for these guys to ruin 100+ long boxes of mostly high grade Bronze Age stuff.

When you get 2 feet of water into a storage unit every box will fall no matter how well you prepare.

Keep away from storage units unless you’re prepared to lose everything in it.

C024AC82-D10D-4FAF-A59A-FF19AE2573CE.jpeg

:cry: :cry: :cry:

On 6/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, jsilverjanet said:

never had any issues since then

Nice pun!

On 6/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, jsilverjanet said:

when i had the water damage, i think i only got the bare minimum at the units coverage so i only got half of what i lost. it wasn't that much but never had any issues since then

I'm surprised you got even half. I've heard horror stories of HO policies where one guy's collection was $100K and they paid him $1500. Others where they amount was capped at $1000, regardless of value. All things considered could've been worse