• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I put my comics in a storage locker(Climate controlled)
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I'm sure there are several threads covering this subject, but what's the alternative if you have thousands of comics?  I think some have mentioned using safety deposit boxes for the high-end stuff, but you do have to check into whether it's climate controlled 24 hours a day.

Storage units are too easy to burglarize and it happens all the time.  Do not use them.

Sell the stuff if you don't have room for it.

The cop who filled out my report when my unit was emptied, along with multiple adjacent units, told me they are burglarized all the time and that he would never use one.

The guy who did it was on video, they had his license plate.  I never got anything back.

It doesn't matter if it looks secure.  The drug addict with the unit next to yours is going to cut your lock when he moves his stuff out and he is going to use your comics for gas money to get out of town.

Don't feed the animals.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

No sentimental value?

I wouldn't keep the comics that have sentimental value in a storage locker. 

Just need a place to get them out of the house that is somewhat protected from
weather. Insurance is there for a reason. If it gets broke into the world wont end.

More the point again I am more concerned about making sure I protect them from water 
leaks.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:42 AM, fastballspecial said:

More the point again I am more concerned about making sure I protect them from water leaks.

Are they just in short/long boxes? Elevating with pallets and covering with tarp, exactly as you mention in your OP, is the exact method that I would use if you're looking to protect from potential flood/leak. I'm not sure if anything more or less would be worth exploring.

frankly, anyone with a storage unit only for comics has too many comics (unless they are keys folks)  Unless you do very regular shows you do not need it, hoarders! share the wealth.

I will pay decent cash money for books in NJ and surrounding areas. I'll come get them too. :baiting:

Edited by Economy Joe

Collectibles insurance is inexpensive, however, with that being said, what are the most secure ways to protect a collection from loss? Both at home and offsite? It's a pain to settling large insurance losses even when it all goes smoothly. 

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 6/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are they just in short/long boxes? Elevating with pallets and covering with tarp, exactly as you mention in your OP, is the exact method that I would use if you're looking to protect from potential flood/leak. I'm not sure if anything more or less would be worth exploring.

Yes I switched over to short boxes as I got older. I don't have any long boxes anymore. 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:16 PM, fastballspecial said:

Now what do I do next? Do I put pallets in and put a tarp over them or 
do I put up racks and store them that way? Locker is 10x10.

i would put pallets

a long time ago, there was a leak in my unit and the comics on the floor got damaged, they were unbagged unfortunately

On 6/3/2022 at 10:54 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

A pallet will absorb a lot of water over time so put a water proof barrier between it and the first level or boxes. A thick piece of plastic or lexan etc. 2c

Plastic pallets are the play here, stay away from wood. You can also get creative and use the shelves from those plastic assemble-yourself shelving units instead of a pallet.

If the collection really has limited value I would say store it in what every way is the cheapest.  Don’t buy shelves.  Elevating is fine as long as it is cheap to do.  A pallet is probably fine.  If that makes you nervous, you could buy some cheap plastic milk crates that you zip tie together to make a plastic pallet.

Most insurance policies will not cover storage units, as they are broken into far too often. I have CIS and they were very specific as to what locations were covered. In no certain terms, storage lockers were not covered.