• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a Marvel Zombies variant
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I have been hunting MZ variants for a while now. I came across this Book on Ebay.

Does anyone know what MZ series it belongs to, if any.

The listing was very vague. It just said MZ#1 Donny Cates variant. 

I tried searching to the best of my abilities using Google but I can't find anything regarding this cover on the internet.

20220606_102752.jpg

That makes sense.

Let me ask you...

What exactly is/was MZ Secret Wars?

I have MZ Battleworld and I have MZ vs Age Of Ultron.

I see these MZ Secret Wars variants all over Ebay. Is Secret Wars the same as Ultron and Battleworld?

I'm pretty sure the Secret Wars are the same as the Battleworld ones. It was all a big cynical nostalgia-play to rip off the 1986 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars brand, which had as its locale "Battleworld," a planet made up of other planets all jammed together.  In the 2015 the Battleworld was basically a composite of "What If..."-type alternate realities. 

On 6/6/2022 at 11:53 AM, wardevil0 said:

I'm pretty sure the Secret Wars are the same as the Battleworld ones. It was all a big cynical nostalgia-play to rip off the 1986 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars brand, which had as its locale "Battleworld," a planet made up of other planets all jammed together.  In the 2015 the Battleworld was basically a composite of "What If..."-type alternate realities. 

Ahhhhh so If I already have Battleworld and Age Of Ultron then theres no need to collect the Secret Wars variants?

I don't *think* so, unless you just want all the covers...?  I may be overlooking something, but it looks like the ones with the "Battleworld" banner across the top also have the "Secret Wars" logo at the bottom, so the contents are the same, with just the two storylines: Battleworld and Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies.

On 6/6/2022 at 1:57 PM, wardevil0 said:

I don't *think* so, unless you just want all the covers...?  I may be overlooking something, but it looks like the ones with the "Battleworld" banner across the top also have the "Secret Wars" logo at the bottom, so the contents are the same, with just the two storylines: Battleworld and Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies.

Thanks for all the info.

Nah I dont really care about those Secret Wars variants...for right now anyway. :nyah:

On 6/6/2022 at 10:56 AM, wardevil0 said:

I would guess it's a 2015 Secret Wars crossover #1 blank cover with original sketch artwork, but it's hard to say for sure.  The logo coloring and positioning seems to match.

So these are the only blank looking MZ covers I could find.

It can't be one of these...right?

20220607_131200.jpg

20220607_131320.jpg

@lostboysdid you buy it? Looks like it sold two days ago. The listing says "unique cover was created with acrylic paints", so I'd say @wardevil0is correct about the cover for sure.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:27 PM, lostboys said:

My next question is...whos name is that in the corner because it doesnt look like "Donny" or "Cates" to me.

Palmer?

I see a lot of other art with a matching signature style on the instagram of the ebay seller:  tyrannosaurusry 

Either the ebay seller did the art himself or is an agent for Palmer.  I think the Donny Cates aspect of the listing title was just to draw in Absolute Carnage fans.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:24 PM, lostboys said:

I did.

I have zero self control.

:ohnoez:

Hey, nothing wrong with that, as long as you bought it because you thought it looked cool! That's the joy of collecting, buying the stuff you genuinely like, because whether it's valuable or not, you'll still have something you think is neat.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:27 PM, lostboys said:

My next question is...whos name is that in the corner because it doesnt look like "Donny" or "Cates" to me.

Palmer?

Yep, I checked the Instagram account for tyrannosaurusry and the artist is Ryan Palmer, so you bought it directly from the artist, who also has several other pretty cool looking pieces.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:04 AM, wardevil0 said:

Yep, I checked the Instagram account for tyrannosaurusry and the artist is Ryan Palmer, so you bought it directly from the artist, who also has several other pretty cool looking pieces.

That's super cool.

It came today.

It is the Ant Size variant...good call on that.

The book is gorgeous and in pristine condition.

20220609_135145.jpg

20220609_135119.jpg