• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DPS Questions: Storing or Framing
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Just wondering how collectors like to keep their double page splash and wrap around covers.  Do you use large portfolios or smaller portfolios with the pages separated?  Do you tape them together? If they come taped, do you remove/cut the tape?  Tape for framing or matte each page separately? If tape, any recommended tape beyond acid free? Thanks!

On 6/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, Jay Sing said:

Just wondering how collectors like to keep their double page splash and wrap around covers.  Do you use large portfolios or smaller portfolios with the pages separated?  Do you tape them together? If they come taped, do you remove/cut the tape?  Tape for framing or matte each page separately? If tape, any recommended tape beyond acid free? Thanks!

All my DPSes (and one double cover) have come taped (ok one exception where I bought the 2 halves many years apart).  So I keep them folded and store them like I would a regular 11x17 page, inside a mylar sleeve.  I have a DPS that was large art, and that is in a larger sleeve, but again, still folded.

Malvin

On 6/6/2022 at 9:47 PM, Jay Sing said:

Do you remove the tape completely or split it?

I have removed the tape after splitting them, but as I recall, the tape came off easily. If it were hard to remove, I may leave it on, at least until I figured out what to do. 

On 6/6/2022 at 7:28 PM, malvin said:

All my DPSes (and one double cover) have come taped (ok one exception where I bought the 2 halves many years apart).  So I keep them folded and store them like I would a regular 11x17 page, inside a mylar sleeve.  I have a DPS that was large art, and that is in a larger sleeve, but again, still folded.

Malvin

Are those DPs taped using archival materials? As you're wasting your time storing it in mylar if it's been stuck using some random tape from the dollar store, as acid-free plastic isn't going to stop cheap adhesive potentially damaging the paper/artwork.

@Jay Sing whether you decide to store or frame, I would always start out by looking into what the situation is with the tape, because it does have the potential to cause long term damage if it's not archival and isn't removed. You could go to a restorationist to make sure it's removed and cleaned up properly, but that's probably overkill. The brand Lineco does a whole range of archival adhesive products, depending on your preferences. 

Edited by barneythecantankerous

On 6/6/2022 at 2:02 PM, Jay Sing said:

If they come taped, do you remove/cut the tape?

My previous adventures with this-

Then, once I have the DPS stabilized, I put it in an 18x24 Itoya with a custom cut backing board. If it is over $1-2k, I put it in a mylar too.

I leave them as they come to me. This usually means taped, so I put them in an 18x24 Itoya, on the right hand side of the page, so that it's easy to rotate the portfolio 90 degrees clockwise and see the whole image. Then I put a single larger page on the left hand side of the page.

I do have a few DPS that came untaped, and I left them that way on adjacent pages in a smaller portfolio. I also have one DPS by Richard Case that, when unfolded, was wider than 24 inches, so I had to leave that one folded.

All my DPS are taped together and stored folded in a portfolio.  I looked at doing a single frame for 4 of them all together, still trying to decide if I go for it given the frame will be huge (my DPS are all from Batman the Animated series).  One problem is the image size is slightly different for each one.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:26 AM, barneythecantankerous said:

whether you decide to store or frame, I would always start out by looking into what the situation is with the tape, because it does have the potential to cause long term damage if it's not archival and isn't removed. You could go to a restorationist to make sure it's removed and cleaned up properly, but that's probably overkill. The brand Lineco does a whole range of archival adhesive products, depending on your preferences.

Thank you!

I don't remove tape if a DPS comes with it. I store them in a proper sized Itoya that someone in Comic Art Live recommended and the DPS look wonderful fully displayed in them, I can't recall what size those are but I can look after work if you are looking to purchase them. I have to look into getting Mylars for that size art. I had a DPS that wasn't taped together so I kept it that way before sending it off to Heritage to be auctioned.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:13 PM, timguerrero said:

I don't remove tape if a DPS comes with it. I store them in a proper sized Itoya that someone in Comic Art Live recommended and the DPS look wonderful fully displayed in them, I can't recall what size those are but I can look after work if you are looking to purchase them. I have to look into getting Mylars for that size art. I had a DPS that wasn't taped together so I kept it that way before sending it off to Heritage to be auctioned.

I'd imagine artists don't go out of their way to use archival tape to tape those DPS's together. They probably just use scotch tape or masking tape. You might want to reconsider your stance on leaving the tape.

i keep DPS and wraparound covers together. If the artist has used masking tape I see if I can remove it. I prefer to have archival tape on the pieces and I don’t separate them.

most prices I store in oversized portfolios and have a few things framed. Including X-Men #30 Wedding issue, X-Men #153 DPS and Tales of the Zombie #6  pin-up.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e19bf7b544f146745ac6515b72dd629.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a4c95c0c007b597c7d2bd3d317cd0402.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7b28ad4e7a51ad26d535a27f7edb2840.jpeg