• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fables,Fairest & Jack of Fables opinion
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Been really enjoying binge reading Fables.I found the first 15 trades for a killer price.Barley missed the rest on Ebay but ,oh well.I also have a chance to pick up a near full run of Fairest and was wondering if it is as well done as the original Fables run & maybe later on get the Jack run.I will be actually reading them so what is the consensus? Worth the time or quit after the Fables run?

Fables = Fantastic

Jack = I'd pass.  Was intended to be comedic.  I read it for quite awhile, but found it bore-ish. 

Fairest = I recall it being so-so.  It might be one I'd re-read.   Not comedic like Jack. 

Patrick

On 6/9/2022 at 9:32 PM, followtheleader said:

Fables = Fantastic

Jack = I'd pass.  Was intended to be comedic.  I read it for quite awhile, but found it bore-ish. 

Fairest = I recall it being so-so.  It might be one I'd re-read.   Not comedic like Jack. 

Patrick

I’d agree with this, except that I think Fables also - eventually - became a bit repetitive. It’s the Star Wars problem… what grand stories do you tell after the Empire is defeated?

On 6/9/2022 at 9:32 PM, followtheleader said:

Fables = Fantastic

Patrick

I read them all as they were released, and I'd generally agree with this, too.  Jack was a tough character to like, but that kind of was his character, so I stuck with it.  Definitely got tiresome though.  

For the sake of completeness, there were also two Cinderella minis: Fables are Forever and From Fabletown with Love, intended to be pastiches of the James Bond genre.  They were okay too, but I really enjoyed Chrissie Zullo's cover art.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:09 PM, Toz said:

Thanks guys.That pretty much was what I needed to know.If I want humor I can always dig out my Fish Police lol

I liked Fables quite a bit, but found Jack simply unreadable. I would take Fish Police over Jack with no hesitation. Unless you mean the TV adaption of Fish Police, which was... well, they canned it quickly, at least.

On 6/10/2022 at 9:35 PM, Qalyar said:

I liked Fables quite a bit, but found Jack simply unreadable. I would take Fish Police over Jack with no hesitation. Unless you mean the TV adaption of Fish Police, which was... well, they canned it quickly, at least.

Original b&w run of course.Also liked TrollLords & Gizmo.

Sorry,delving into Copper there.

Been rereading the various fables books myself to refresh my memory for the new series.  Agreed that Jack is a pretty disappointing title overall, after a while I was just buying it from a combination of inertia and a love of the Babe the Blue Ox page.

Fairest was a bit hit or miss, as anthologies tend to be, but with quite a few stories I enjoyed and some wonderful Adam Hughes covers.