• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Academy • Grading Seminar • July 9-10 in Tampa • I Went • Update Is In!
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2022 at 11:16 AM, Robot Man said:

I ain’t making a trip to FL for any reason…

Or anywhere in gun happy America for that matter, where there were something like over 45,000 shooting deaths just last year alone.  :fear:

Much safer in Canada where there are generally something like only a couple hundred gun shooting deaths a year.  (thumbsu

On 7/10/2022 at 6:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Or anywhere in gun happy America for that matter, where there were something like over 45,000 shooting deaths just last year alone.  :fear:

Much safer in Canada where there are generally something like only a couple hundred gun shooting deaths a year.  (thumbsu

38CED58D-E8FD-4E8A-9526-64AF7D6D35D2.gif.79968cc89b3e60de03985d911d16e8b7.gif

On 7/5/2022 at 4:21 PM, Motor City Rob said:

So true. While it would be amazing to hold onto some serious grails that some most people never have a chance to own, the honeymoon would probably wear off quickly.

"That's the 500 X-Factor 1 graded this month, and I have 499 more to grade." :wavingwhiteflag:

On 7/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

"That's the 500 X-Factor 1 graded this month, and I have 499 more to grade." :wavingwhiteflag:

Yeah - seems like the "carp-in-a-slab" factor far exceeds Sturgeon's Law.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:06 PM, Hiro said:

Wanted to update on the seminar from this past weekend. 

Saturday: At check-in everyone was given a CGC swag bag that consisted of a slab (see the pic of the slab I received),
hat, loop, pen & notebook. The day consisted of info about the company, grading processes and a live
grading session with Q&A after and during the sessions. There were random trivia / comic question
contests during the day with the winner getting another swag bag. Didn't get one, so not
sure what was in that one. Light breakfast, lunch and snacks were provided both days

There was a happy hour at a local bar on Sat. night and was good to
hang and talk to attendees and CGC people, who were all 
friendly and approachable.

Sunday: A short recap and a grading test. Broken into
2 groups. With prize money for First, Second, Third and Fourth place.
Didn't place, but did ok on the test. Was too harsh on higher grade books.
Did well on the mid to lower grades. There was also a raffle
with 9.6 & 9.8 slabs given out. Some nice books.

The one thing that kind of surprised me was that with the people that I talked with
(only about 15 - 20 total out of around 100-150 total attendees), I asked if they were
on the chat boards and only one said yes, but that he recently joined and hadn't posted.
The rest weren't even really aware that the chat boards existed.

All in all was a good time, informative and well run and was great meeting and just hanging
and talking with people about their collections and general comic stuff.

slab.jpeg

I saw some Instagram posts about it, but that's it. Thanks for the inside look. I wonder if CGC successfully found some new hires?

On 7/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, F For Fake said:

I saw some Instagram posts about it, but that's it. Thanks for the inside look. I wonder if CGC successfully found some new hires?

Don't know for sure, but would imagine that the grading test winners were talked to about working for CGC.

There was an HR rep there that people could talk with. Didn't talk with him myself, but someone I met there did
and the rep took his info and encouraged him to apply online. Also, before the grading test we were all told that
whoever was interested in working for CGC that this test wasn't the only deciding factor. If you applied and were
selected to move forward in the hiring process that there would be a lot more training before you were
offered a grader position.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:28 PM, Hiro said:

Don't know for sure, but would imagine that the grading test winners were talked to about working for CGC.

There was an HR rep there that people could talk with. Didn't talk with him myself, but someone I met there did
and the rep took his info and encouraged him to apply online. Also, before the grading test we were all told that
whoever was interested in working for CGC that this test wasn't the only deciding factor. If you applied and were
selected to move forward in the hiring process that there would be a lot more training before you were
offered a grader position.

was the majority of the attendees collectors or dealers? also i saw online that a child attended this training, is that true?

On 7/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, jsilverjanet said:

was the majority of the attendees collectors or dealers? also i saw online that a child attended this training, is that true?

The people that I talked with were mostly collectors. A couple of dealers.

The child that attended was Noah who's on youtube with Noah's Amazing Reviews channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2aL_AQLVi4WVdivgxkA-ng
He and his Dad were sitting a couple seats away from me. They came in from Los Angeles. Friendly and nice people...