• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for selling a "misgraded" 9.8
2 2

38 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2022 at 12:01 PM, blazingbob said:

You should have listed it on rallyd so you could have kept a piece of the action.

Those who can purchase whole copies of $1,000+ books don't need a piece of the action.  They get the whole shebang.

However, those who want to own $1,000 worth of $100,000+ books don't have any alternatives.  Still waiting on the blazingbob solution, and still not seeing one.

On 6/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, lostboys said:

Let's say the 9.8 goes for $500 but you know it's over graded and you're willing to take $350.

List it as an auction with a starting bid of $350.

Buyers will be less suspicious of the low price if it's an auction. 

This is pretty much what I do. I start the price at the minimum I would accept and everything over that is a bonus in my opinion. I hate unknown reserve prices. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:45 PM, jaybuck43 said:

However, I would suggest if you are selling it on eBay, to make sure to mention the tick, as an unscrupulous buyer may try to claim it was caused by shipping damage and initiate a charge back.

I feel that’s overly cautious. I would not go out of my way to point it out or mention it aside from just having a clear picture, as you should with any auction. 

The only time I’d actually point something out on a graded book is if there was something truly strange about it. A spine tick on a 9.8 ain’t it. 

On 6/15/2022 at 6:05 PM, Poekaymon said:

I feel that’s overly cautious. I would not go out of my way to point it out or mention it aside from just having a clear picture, as you should with any auction. 

The only time I’d actually point something out on a graded book is if there was something truly strange about it. A spine tick on a 9.8 ain’t it. 

I’ve had people try to pull all kinds of tricks with eBay, and since they’re very buyer centric, they don’t care. Support said the best defense is to make sure it’s clearly stated in the terms.

Thanks to everyone for your precious pieces of advice. I will probably try to sell it with a small discount since there is a lot of MCP #72 with a 9.8 on eBay.

After a few weeks, I will give it a bigger discount, and after a few months, I will try to auction it using lostboys strategy.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:09 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I might be inclined to send a quick message just to make sure before I ship so that there is not a whole waste of time with me sending a book, them getting and hating, them sending back and so on).

I always do that when there is something wrong with the comic or the case. Last year, it was a hair between the case and the inner well.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:46 PM, Dr. Balls said:

What if that tick was the only thing keeping it from a 9.9? Crack that thing and press it!

I should have specified that the spine tick breaks colour. Unfortunately pressing wouldn't change anything.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:55 PM, Ed Hanes said:

You can take hi res pictures of it using a camera with polarizing ability (gets rid of glare) and post the pictures...color breaks should show up.

I put the slab under the light and give it the right angle and the spine tick show up. See for yourself (picture below).

Edited by Pangolin

I recently had this same dilemma.  I have a book with odd color spot missing from what appears to be wear (i.e. not a printing/manufacturing error).  It's a 9.6, but I specifically pointed out that spot on my listing to avoid somebody receiving it and making a frowny face when they discover this flaw in person.  In my opinion that flaw really detracts from the eye appeal of the cover.  I figured if I don't like it, then somebody else won't either, so I'm making double-sure the buyer is aware of this before making the purchase.  

...Imagine that you received from CGC a freshly graded Marvel Comics Presents  #72 with a 9.8. However, you think that the book looks like a 9.6 because of one spine tick...

The purpose of an expert opinion is to remove doubt and ambiguity for all involved, but all involved have to be willing to accept the expert's opinion. I would argue that with comic books most people do accept the expert opinion, but OP may have a misunderstanding of the allowable defects in a Near Mint / Mint book and believes that others share in that misunderstanding, which may be true.

Regardless, OP can alleviate their concern by consigning the book rather than selling on the bay. I highly recommend MCS since they charge the same fee but handle all the work (and Este is the best and now they have Borock too.) 👍

Edited by KirbyTown

On 6/15/2022 at 10:46 PM, Pangolin said:

Well since you asked I took a closer look at the back cover and there is another one!

Damn!

Mcp72b2.jpg

It could absolutely be a 9.8 with those two (very small) flaws.  Don't undercut yourself, is my advice.  9.8's can have 1-2 allowable flaws in the grade, or "an accumulation of smaller defects."  This is from Overstreet, but CGC is similar. 

10.0's are perfect; 9.8's are not.  A lot of people forget that.

Good luck!

On 6/18/2022 at 9:01 PM, Tedsaid said:

10.0's are perfect; 9.8's are not.  A lot of people forget that.

9.8s are even two whole levels down from 10!

My interpretation has been that a 9.8 is the best assessment one can reasonably expect of a handled comic book. Considering that most comic books have been handled, then any occurrence of a 9.9 or 10 becomes both scarce and unaffordable to the average person. In the case of uncirculated ultra-moderns that go straight to grading, the 9.9 can become the "9.8" of that issue, and 9.8 pricing becomes akin to a "9.6".

Edited by KirbyTown