• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just started collecting Three weeks ago
1 1

50 posts in this topic

Are you looking at this strictly as an investment type thing, or do you have any other goals? You picked great books that would be owned or sought after by most collectors over a long time. Most of us have 100 junk books to every one like yours, because of following a theme in our collecting habits. What you have as your starters would be like the few comics a former collector just couldn't part with when selling off a collection. If those are just random buys, though, you have great instincts. What next?

On 6/23/2022 at 2:03 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sorry, just realized that I mistook you for the OP. lol

Nothing wrong with buying 9.8s, but this is always worth considering:

• Can you even tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6?

Correct, If the 9.6 is strong, and the 9.8 weak, even veteran collectors may not be able to discern difference once the books are slabbed. 

Then there is the reverse; when a strong 9.8 and weak 9.6 the differences can be glaring to an experienced collector.  

As for novice collectors whether its Comics or Trading Cards they seem to think everything they have is in "great shape" or "mint"  then after a time they usually find out none of their stuff is above mid-grade :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/1/2022 at 7:00 PM, Pat Thomas said:

Are you looking at this strictly as an investment type thing, or do you have any other goals? You picked great books that would be owned or sought after by most collectors over a long time. Most of us have 100 junk books to every one like yours, because of following a theme in our collecting habits. What you have as your starters would be like the few comics a former collector just couldn't part with when selling off a collection. If those are just random buys, though, you have great instincts. What next?

I’m a noob and just grabbed few books in the first week after my little research and decided to start off by adding some key issues most collectors go after.

Month in and I’ve added ton of junk far as value wise and I probably over paid for lot of stuff but as long as I’m having fun and enjoying the hobby that’s all it matters to me. 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, nDemik said:

I’m a noob and just grabbed few books in the first week after my little research and decided to start off by adding some key issues most collectors go after.

Month in and I’ve added ton of junk far as value wise and I probably over paid for lot of stuff but as long as I’m having fun and enjoying the hobby that’s all it matters to me. 

Well. you're picking good stuff.  You probably have more money invested in your comics already than a large percentage of collectors (That's not bad, it's just unusual. You must have plenty of fun money).  This hobby is a lot more fun when you're able to spend. Are you only buying books that are already graded?

On 7/4/2022 at 3:38 AM, Pat Thomas said:

Well. you're picking good stuff.  You probably have more money invested in your comics already than a large percentage of collectors (That's not bad, it's just unusual. You must have plenty of fun money).  This hobby is a lot more fun when you're able to spend. Are you only buying books that are already graded?

So far I’ve been picking up mostly graded copies since I’m still a noob and still so much to learn about the hobby. 
I’ve been catching lot of “Hate” since I guess I’m not supposed to be adding key issues right off the bat and I guess to some I’m not appreciating the hobby by not trading and collecting my way up.

It is what it is and I’m just enjoying my time collecting and I’m just here to learn and enjoy the hobby. 

On 7/5/2022 at 4:45 PM, nDemik said:

I’ve been catching lot of “Hate” since I guess I’m not supposed to be adding key issues right off the bat and I guess to some I’m not appreciating the hobby by not trading and collecting my way up.

It must be in PMs or somewhere other than this board, because all I've seen in this thread is congratulations, admiration and envy.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:56 PM, Axe Elf said:

It must be in PMs or somewhere other than this board, because all I've seen in this thread is congratulations, admiration and envy.

Not here but on a different platform.

here I’ve received nothing but positive feedback and just browsing here I’ve gained a lot of info which I was completely oblivious until I’ve came here. Much respect to the board. 

On 6/17/2022 at 6:55 AM, nDemik said:

Just started collecting three weeks ago and I picked up some decent stuff to start my collecting career and so far it’s been a fun journey and hoping to stick around and learn and obtain some good stuff as I go along. 
few stuff I’ve collected so far 

CA47B401-96B7-4FD7-A617-43676CEB0AB2.jpeg

C463682B-21A1-4354-9D58-D6C8AEFE9BA1.jpeg

3CEB809B-967C-47BA-9B25-72C5F1C1C5BD.jpeg

1F2EFFA6-58EF-4D76-89B5-1841A52B3C29.jpeg

2CD98A64-68CE-45DD-9A30-D6C64ABC48C9.jpeg

7326EEFB-A18C-4466-9EB8-FEAC638BACD9.jpeg

Dang, that is one helluva start.😎🤘

Your start is better than what a large majority of collectors can do in a lifetime. Well done!

As for comments about 9.8 grades,  I see it differently than some others on the boards.  If someone wants to chase 9.8 books, and pay a large premium for it, then I say go for it!  I applaud collectors who want nothing but 9.8s in their collection. I also applaud collectors who do it differently. The point is, collecting is fun because everyone has their specific interest and only each person knows what they enjoy.  Unfortunately, you will run into some people that that will try to tell you that what you find enjoyable is stupid.  Just ignore them and go with what you like.

Looking forward to seeing your next acquisitions.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:23 PM, KirbyTown said:

sounds like reddit

That would be my guess. 

Playing Devil's Advocate for moment; on a sub-reddit jumping in as a new collector and displaying 50K+ worth of Key graded comics might come off as humble bragging or worse.  Here it plays much better. Still probably better to ease in?

P.S. Once again based on topic title very refreshing NOT to see ASM361, X-Men (1991) #1,#4 and Spawn #1

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/3/2022 at 12:14 PM, nDemik said:

as long as I’m having fun and enjoying the hobby that’s all it matters to me. 

THIS!
As long as you follow this golden rule, you'll never be disappointed.

(well, rarely)

On 7/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, MAR1979 said:

That would be my guess. 

Playing Devil's Advocate for moment; on a sub-reddit jumping in as a new collector and displaying 50K+ worth of Key graded comics might come off as humble bragging or worse.  Here it plays much better. Still probably better to ease in?

P.S. Once again based on topic title very refreshing NOT to see ASM361, X-Men (1991) #1,#4 and Spawn #1

Here’s my response to that is that we are all in a different financial situation and fortunately for me I’m not alternating my lifestyle to obtain these books and I’m actually overpaying for lot of stuff I’ve collected and I’m having fun and it’s funny to see other grown people pocket watch other peoples funds (Not saying you are by any means but the response I was getting somewhere else) it is what it is and so far I’ve collected lot of “Junk” to others that I’ve been adding cause I enjoyed the cover/story and so on and My brief experience thus far as been an entertaining one and I’m planning to collect some key issues as I go along. 

On 7/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, nDemik said:

I’m not alternating my lifestyle to obtain these books and I’m actually overpaying for lot of stuff I’ve collected and I’m having fun and it’s funny to see other grown people pocket watch other peoples funds.

My take on this? Who cares! It’s your money and you’re free to spend it however you’d like. (thumbsu

Though, with my time in this hobby, I’ve never had anyone pocket watch, but ask what I do for work. Then again, you don’t see a lot of people my age buying an Incredible Hulk #1 or Amazing Fantasy #15.