• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 141 VF+ 2nd Highest Graded...with rust eating thru cover?

16 posts in this topic

While a turn off, I think this is on the surface and doesn't go through the cover. The staples themselves are probably rusted too or at least a bit dirty. A pretty nice book as it is though you won't see me paying $185 for it.

Okay, I am prepared for blasting on this but that Action 1 8.5 with rusted staples. Should be sent in with the intent of replacing staples or CONSERVATION. Each year that sucker is in its holder more damage occurs to the comic. Go ahead and fire away at me.

Okay, I am prepared for blasting on this but that Action 1 8.5 with rusted staples. Should be sent in with the intent of replacing staples or CONSERVATION. Each year that sucker is in its holder more damage occurs to the comic. Go ahead and fire away at me.

I've said exactly the same thing about a million times. That's one of the top ten most valuable individual books in the hobby and it's dying before our eyes because of the irrational attitudes toward conservation.

This book was owned by me and I sent it to CGC about 4 years ago to have it graded. This one, along with a bunch of other similar books were stacked up somewhere and at some point, condensation formed on the staples. This book did not have any rust on the staples, probably because the staples were on the edge of the spine where they should be and the condensation must not have lasted long. The books above and below this one did not have properly centered staples and the moisture was trapped between the books causing rust to form and transfer to this copy.

I was surprised to see this one come back as an 8.5. I was expecting a 7.0 or 7.5 because of the rust transfer stain. Also, the lower right are looks a little funky due to the overhang being folded over a bit. This same book popped up in a recent ComicLink auction. I guess the new owner is looking for a quick flip.

I just got another Superman #141 CGC graded last month with off-white pages and slightly better QP, with no rust stains. Sadly, if only got a 7.5 frown.gif. I'll be listing it this weekend.

This book was owned by me and I sent it to CGC about 4 years ago to have it graded. This one, along with a bunch of other similar books were stacked up somewhere and at some point, condensation formed on the staples. This book did not have any rust on the staples, probably because the staples were on the edge of the spine where they should be and the condensation must not have lasted long. The books above and below this one did not have properly centered staples and the moisture was trapped between the books causing rust to form and transfer to this copy.

Dang... tongue.gif

I was going to point that out myself. Usually when you see that type of rust, but not on the staples, it has nothing to do with the actual book and everything to do with the book above or below it.

I have a CGC 8.5 key book with the same thing and the staples are perfect.

I don't think CGC downgrades much for that because it's similar to having transfer staining or dirt that's accumulated because of books being stacked.