• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this be real?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

The GRR’s have broken many a heart. I remember just a couple of years ago a local toy mall had a big run of Thors, and my heart just about jumped out of my chest when I saw a JIM 83 for $250. Virtually had my wallet in my hand before I finally noticed it was a GRR.

They’re still cool books. One day I may have to pick up a set since the real things have largely passed me by. Stick em in a Mylar and top loader, and they’ll still look pretty cool on the shelf!

On 6/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, F For Fake said:

The GRR’s have broken many a heart. I remember just a couple of years ago a local toy mall had a big run of Thors, and my heart just about jumped out of my chest when I saw a JIM 83 for $250. Virtually had my wallet in my hand before I finally noticed it was a GRR.

Screenshot 2022-06-18 6.34.17 PM.png

Whenever you see a '1966' on an FF #1 (or Avengers #4, Journey Into Mystery #83, or Amazing Spider-Man #1) this means they're the Golden Records Reprint edition. This is basically a nearly exact reprint which came with a record, as you likely deduced but it won't have a cover price either.

Now, this seller is potentially oblivious or misleading but we shouldn't let that make the Golden Record editions look bad- they're still good investments being the first reprints of the titles in question, and an affordable option/alternative for those that will never be able to shell out for an actual FF #1. I've gotten a few for a few hundred a piece and their value has doubled in the past year. They're very nice.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, wisbyron said:

Whenever you see a '1966' on an FF #1 (or Avengers #4, Journey Into Mystery #83, or Amazing Spider-Man #1) this means they're the Golden Records Reprint edition. This is basically a nearly exact reprint which came with a record, as you likely deduced but it won't have a cover price either.

Now, this seller is potentially oblivious or misleading but we shouldn't let that make the Golden Record editions look bad- they're still good investments being the first reprints of the titles in question, and an affordable option/alternative for those that will never be able to shell out for an actual FF #1. I've gotten a few for a few hundred a piece and their value has doubled in the past year. They're very nice.

they seem to sell for around 800 in 5.0
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=fantastic+four+%231+GRR&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=95811&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=240&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:11 PM, kav said:

I've already got one but have thought about doubling up on the Golden Record Reprints lately. I think they only seem unappealing when someone is trying to pass them off as NOT a Golden Record Reprint. On their own I think they're very cool- not a typical reprint. I only have one slabbed, tho'

Journey Into Mystery #83 GOLDEN RECORD REPRINT.jpg