• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Errors
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I received 10 comics back and 5 of the cases had mech errors which included scuff marks, scratches and white specs between the outer and inner plastic wells. i.e. 50% had issues. I found the grading was way harder than what I am used to seeing and my lowest grade which was a 9.0 had no graders notes at all, looked better than some of the 9.4s, and may have received a 9.0 since there seems to be a cardboard spec on the back cover which was never there when I sent in the books after a clean and press. CGC has kindly agreed to fix any mech errors, but I am not sure how to handle that 9.0 which had no graders notes. 

On 6/21/2022 at 1:02 AM, ammar_ammar said:

I found the grading was way harder than what I am used to seeing and my lowest grade which was a 9.0 had no graders notes at all, looked better than some of the 9.4s, and may have received a 9.0 since there seems to be a cardboard spec on the back cover which was never there when I sent in the books after a clean and press.

Comic books are graded prior to encapsulation, so a speck of cardboard being present would be immaterial to the grading process. Appearance is not everything to grading; You will end up seeing a lot of 8.5s that look better than 9.4s, for example.

On 6/21/2022 at 1:02 AM, ammar_ammar said:

Hi all, 

I received 10 comics back and 5 of the cases had mech errors which included scuff marks, scratches and white specs between the outer and inner plastic wells. i.e. 50% had issues. I found the grading was way harder than what I am used to seeing and my lowest grade which was a 9.0 had no graders notes at all, looked better than some of the 9.4s, and may have received a 9.0 since there seems to be a cardboard spec on the back cover which was never there when I sent in the books after a clean and press. CGC has kindly agreed to fix any mech errors, but I am not sure how to handle that 9.0 which had no graders notes. 

I don't think you will get anywhere with CGC on the 9.0.  They will stand by their grade.  They have what is called an "Appearance Review" that they will perform if you think your collectible is not genuine, or if is over-graded, but not if it is under-graded. There is language about it 1/4 of the way down this page: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-guarantee/  Maybe through contacting customer service, they could agree to take another look at your book, at your expense.  You can always ask.

If I had that book and felt strongly that it should have gotten a better grade, I would look it over very carefully.  If I could see no obvious reason, then I have a tough decision.  If I crack it to check the inside, and find out why it was a 9.0, I would be upset that that the reason was not noted, since it was hidden inside the comic once encapsulated (like the centerfold detached at 1 staple, if that was the reason, for example).  But even then, there is nothing you can do but complain to CGC about the lack of notes on something hidden, and I have now wasted an entire grading fee, shipping, etc. 

If I can see no logical reason why it's a 9.0, I would resubmit it if I still felt that it was a higher grade.  It's another $20+ and a long wait, but it could be worth it in the end.  All this is provided that the grade bump warrants the risk to crack it.  Also the time, effort, and extra $$$ for regrading.  Even then it could come back 9.0 (hopefully not worse).