• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who can I trust/go to for cleaning and pressing my comic?

9 posts in this topic

It's basically all in the title. I've heard people say you should clean/press your comics before sending them in to get graded but nobody ever says how/who to send them to in order to get them pressed. So who's the CGC for pressing and cleaning? lol Thanks for your time.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:25 PM, Travaran said:

It's basically all in the title. I've heard people say you should clean/press your comics before sending them in to get graded but nobody ever says how/who to send them to in order to get them pressed. So who's the CGC for pressing and cleaning? lol Thanks for your time.

It's through CGC, you just mark it on the form. (technically they're called CCS, but it's through the CGC submission process.)

Edited by KirbyTown

On 6/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, KirbyTown said:

It's through CGC, you just mark it on the form. (technically they're called CCS, but it's through the CGC submission process.)

So CGC sends my comic to CCS and they clean and press it? And what if something goes wrong in the cleaning/pressing process? What does CGC do for me then?

On 6/23/2022 at 12:42 PM, Travaran said:

So CGC sends my comic to CCS and they clean and press it? And what if something goes wrong in the cleaning/pressing process? What does CGC do for me then?

Technically, yes they do, and I have no clue what that process is if they botch it, sorry, I just know that Joe Blow probably isn't going to have any plan in place if he screws up, as opposed to CGC which more likely has a way of legitimately addressing such a concern...one would hope at least.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, Travaran said:

There are some great threads on here already with suggestions so you might want to search the forum. I used Comic Doctor before,and I was really happy with the customer service and results. One thing to note about CCS pressing is there are a lot of threads about the wait time. From what I've seen it is VERY long.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, rumrunner71 said:

There are some great threads on here already with suggestions so you might want to search the forum. I used Comic Doctor before,and I was really happy with the customer service and results. One thing to note about CCS pressing is there are a lot of threads about the wait time. From what I've seen it is VERY long.

Well for me it's quality over speed. Idc who's faster as long as whoever it is gets the job done right

On 6/23/2022 at 1:12 PM, Travaran said:

Well for me it's quality over speed. Idc who's faster as long as whoever it is gets the job done right

It'll take about a year and a half right now, no joke. (unless you're using an expedited method)

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/

Edited by KirbyTown

On 6/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, Travaran said:
On 6/23/2022 at 10:40 AM, KirbyTown said:

I'd say go on the CGC website and read about what CCS does, they are sister companies with the same owner.  They make it easy to essentially send in for pressing and grading, the processes are separate.  

This isn't the exact process, but think of it this way:

1.  You mail your books to CGC, they arrive in a big mailroom.

2.  CGC employee opens your box of books, reads submission form.

3.  Based on submission form and what services you've chosen, they sort the book into a stack/bin/box of similar tier books.  

4.  Assuming you've chosen pressing and grading, they need to do pressing first.  Your book (in a huge stack of books) is pushed in a cart to the building where CCS does their work (pressing, restoration, etc). 

5.  IN the CCS building, they press your book(s).  When they are done, they are sent to the building next door, the CGC building.

6.  In the CGC building, they grade your book, then slab it, then mail it back to you.

So theoretically, the pressing and grading of your book are separate processes.  Obviously there are queues of various lengths that your book(s) will wait in for periods of time related to your tier selection.

As for what happens if there's damage in the pressing or grading process, look at the CGC website for whatever guarantees (if any) and contact CGC directly ahead of time to see if they can allay your fears BEFORE submission.  If you don't feel comfortable for whatever reason, THAT'S FINE, then don't submit.  Tons of folks don't feel comfortable submitting now or ever for any number of reasons.

There are of course private pressers unaffiliated with CGC as well, but make sure you choose a reputable one.