• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Context: Let's say I want to send books for signature. I have some signed but not graded books of Patrick Gleason and some who are not signed and ungraded. 

My question: Would I get the yellow label if the book is already signed. I also have the certificate of authenticity. 

Thank you

bluespidey.jpeg

spideyblue.jpeg

spideyblanc.jpeg

In regards to this question:

1. Will a photo be taken of the signature and be shared in the "Certification Info" area when checking CGC Cert# ??
  2. Will the certification certificate be placed visibly on the back of the book or inside the book when sealed?
  3.  Any other options that you can request in this green label scenario?
  4. What will the green label say about the signature on the book (or in the book)?

On 6/23/2022 at 7:24 PM, Jon Thor said:

In regards to this question:

1. Will a photo be taken of the signature and be shared in the "Certification Info" area when checking CGC Cert# ??
  2. Will the certification certificate be placed visibly on the back of the book or inside the book when sealed?
  3.  Any other options that you can request in this green label scenario?
  4. What will the green label say about the signature on the book (or in the book)?

COA's aren't slabbed...don't even send them.

CGC recommends not sending the certificate and states that they cannot guarantee that it will be returned to you. The green label will state "Writing on cover". It's not an autograph to CGC unless they witness the signing.

Edited by mtracy64
Spelling

On 6/23/2022 at 7:49 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

if Gleason signs on the already signed cover at the Sig Series event it would get a yellow/green label

What if he was witnessed signing it in exactly the same lines as he had signed it the first time?

On 6/23/2022 at 8:59 PM, Jon Thor said:

Ok, so what I am hearing is :     I need to take a photo of the internal signature before it gets sealed !!!   Thanks

Why would you need a photo?  I suppose it'd be nice for authentication purposes, but in terms of ownership, what good will it do?

On 6/23/2022 at 9:35 PM, mtracy64 said:

CGC recommends not sending the certificate and states that they cannot guarantee that it will be returned to you. The green label will state "Writing on cover". It's not an autograph to CGC unless they witness the signing.

^^

On 6/24/2022 at 1:07 AM, ExNihilo said:

Why would you need a photo?  I suppose it'd be nice for authentication purposes, but in terms of ownership, what good will it do?

I think he just wants to be able to look at it, since he won't be able to open the book after encapsulation.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:48 AM, ExNihilo said:

Oh, I completely glossed over the fact that the sig is on the inside and not the cover.  Won't that be a blue label then (inside sig)?

there are 2 people asking questions in this thread

the OP made no reference to there being a sig inside the book

a follow up poster asked a question about a pic of the sig

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

Ok, so what I am hearing now is:   IF the signature is on the inside of the book, it would be a bad idea to ship to CGC, but I should probably instead ship to CBCS, which doesn't have the witness requirement?

I was hoping CGC would give a Green label with a description of "signature of xxx on inside cover"

That would suck if it came back as a Blue label with a lower grade and no mention of the signature!!!

Just trying to get a straight answer from someone, rather than a knee-jerk answer. Thanks.

image.png.6aae3a936671f0d642180b78e6736442.png

Edited by Jon Thor

On 6/23/2022 at 10:59 PM, Jon Thor said:

Ok, so what I am hearing is :     I need to take a photo of the internal signature before it gets sealed !!!   Thanks

Yes. 

On 6/24/2022 at 12:07 AM, ExNihilo said:

For a few reasons. 

1. To have a picture of it to see.

2. Encase CGC fails to mention it .

3. To have a picture if you go to sell the book. 

On 6/28/2022 at 9:00 PM, Jon Thor said:

Ok, so what I am hearing now is:   IF the signature is on the inside of the book, it would be a bad idea to ship to CGC, but I should probably instead ship to CBCS, which doesn't have the witness requirement?

I was hoping CGC would give a Green label with a description of "signature of xxx on inside cover"

That would suck if it came back as a Blue label with a lower grade and no mention of the signature!!!

Just trying to get a straight answer from someone, rather than a knee-jerk answer. Thanks.

image.png.6aae3a936671f0d642180b78e6736442.png

Even if it gets the blue label it should still make note that it has the writing (signature)

I recently sent some in that had already been signed. One on cover the other interior.  

739140379_2022-04-11-0005(2).thumb.jpg.228a237c90b214c19df8acfded175b81.jpg

2022-06-09-0003.thumb.jpg.1207a8a166ab0b7896a50ff8e76b5bbd.jpg

20220216_140925.thumb.jpg.4c35690e4b3801d0d8f4179c0a54be89.jpg

Thanks for the awesome photos.  My situation is the possibility of a blue label, and that would be ok, having a lower grade, IF the blue label would say "Signed by John Byrne on page 1".   What are the chances they would put that on a blue label rather than a generic comment "writing on page 1" ?   Your photos suggest to me it might be inconsistent?

Edited by Jon Thor

On 6/28/2022 at 9:42 PM, Jon Thor said:

Thanks for the awesome photos.  My situation is the possibility of a blue label, and that would be ok, having a lower grade, IF the blue label would say "Signed by John Byrne on page 1".   What are the chances they would put that on a blue label rather than a generic comment "writing on page 1" ?   Your photos suggest to me it might be inconsistent?

You are welcome. 

It can definitely be very inconsistent.  

1. If the grader does not recognize the Signature they can just list as "Writing or Name Written" 

2. If the Signature isn't legible they can make the same note as #1.

3. They can give it either blue (which takes a grade hit or green where it is ignored. They do say you can make a note which you would prefer, but ultimately it is up to them which they decide to go with. 

Just like my above examples (which is why I chose those specific ones to share .