• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does it ACTUALLY cost to grade a book?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

hidden “cost” is your opportunity cost.

can you personally  tie up your money and your comic for many many months in a heavy inflation economy with high interest rates? Very subjective answer. 

On 6/26/2022 at 8:55 PM, KCOComics said:

No, custom label doesn't effect value.  

You can't say that. No one knows if people,in ten years, will value a book in a limited edition label  more than one in a label available anytime. 

If an ebayer in 2047 sees 267 copies of Spidey 300 in 9,8, but only one has the special limited edition label that hasn't been produced in twenty five years, who is to say it might not be worth much more than the other generic ones.  There was a time when CGC claimed a purple label shouldn't affect a books value, and many will argue a yellow label lowers a books value, not enhances it.

In coins, slabs with special labels have shown that some labels certainly add value.  I expect CGC will adopt many new labels in the months ahead.  I wouldn't be surprised to see first release labels where CGC gives the first 500 copies of a book to be slabbed a special designation, or a special anniversary slab where books still in their original slabs  can recieve a special commememoritive reslab with a label authenticating this is a first genertion slab. 

Pedigree labels add value, purple labels hurt value. Trying to predict what one set of sheep will value in the future is part of the balancing act dealers have had to contend with for generations now.  When I'm setting up, do I price my "one of only 100 special label" Spidey 300s like the rarity it is and hope the one in a thousand fans finds me and pays me the big bucks or do I sell it quickly, reinvest the money and keep churning?

On 6/27/2022 at 11:56 AM, shadroch said:

You can't say that. No one knows if people,in ten years, will value a book in a limited edition label  more than one in a label available anytime. 

If an ebayer in 2047 sees 267 copies of Spidey 300 in 9,8, but only one has the special limited edition label that hasn't been produced in twenty five years, who is to say it might not be worth much more than the other generic ones.  There was a time when CGC claimed a purple label shouldn't affect a books value, and many will argue a yellow label lowers a books value, not enhances it.

In coins, slabs with special labels have shown that some labels certainly add value.  I expect CGC will adopt many new labels in the months ahead.  I wouldn't be surprised to see first release labels where CGC gives the first 500 copies of a book to be slabbed a special designation, or a special anniversary slab where books still in their original slabs  can recieve a special commememoritive reslab with a label authenticating this is a first genertion slab. 

Pedigree labels add value, purple labels hurt value. Trying to predict what one set of sheep will value in the future is part of the balancing act dealers have had to contend with for generations now.  When I'm setting up, do I price my "one of only 100 special label" Spidey 300s like the rarity it is and hope the one in a thousand fans finds me and pays me the big bucks or do I sell it quickly, reinvest the money and keep churning?

He's having Marvel power pack 27 graded from 1986.  I don't think a custom label will help. 

More broadly, you are probably right. But this seemed like he was looking for a specific answer. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:17 AM, KCOComics said:

He's having Marvel power pack 27 graded from 1986.  I don't think a custom label will help. 

More broadly, you are probably right. But this seemed like he was looking for a specific answer. 

In fifty years, when his PP #27 is the top special label of that book in existence, he may laff all the way to the bank.   If you have $67 and a dream, I say go for it.  If nothing else, slabs will make a better shelter than raw books, which tend to get wet when it rains.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:05 PM, Travaran said:

The comic I was thinking of grading I believe was released in 1986. Would this package apply to that comic? Again, I'm completely new to this grading business so Idk how any of this works. 

this question is really baffling 

what part of being new to grading causes difficulty in determining that 1986 came after 1975 and is before present day?

On 6/27/2022 at 9:27 AM, StillOnly25Cents said:

this question is really baffling 

what part of being new to grading causes difficulty in determining that 1986 came after 1975 and is before present day?

People forget that 1975BC came after 1986BC. 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:37 PM, Travaran said:
On 6/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, steveinthecity said:

What is the comic?  Was it published before or after 1975?  Do you have an estimated idea of the grade(it’s condition, thus giving an idea of the fmv.)?

The comics maybe a 7? Not sure. https://www.ebay.com/itm/255567050203 You can be the judge lol It says 1986 so I'm assuming that's when it was released. And yea, things like that is what I need to know. Release date and grade effecting fees of grading? This complex mess hurts my head. I'm stupid in general but I also take meds for my epilepsy and they slow me down I swear lol 

Uh, it's your money and all that but are you really considering slabbing a 7.0 (ish) copy of Power Pack 27? 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:47 AM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

Uh, it's your money and all that but are you really considering slabbing a 7.0 (ish) copy of Power Pack 27? 

Hey man,  if people can slab an  XForce 1, hes gonna make bank on a PP 27

On 6/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, Travaran said:

I know this comic isn't worth much XD

Assuming this entire thread isn't a troll, I'll respond to this information by commenting that you shouldn't waste the money getting a book encapsulated that doesn't have enough value to make it worth the price (which you've been quoted above already and so now know).

There are perhaps 100,000 copies of Power Pack  27 in 7.0ish shape.  Very run of the mill.

I'd be surprised if there are morer than a few dozen PP 27s that are CGC 7.0s

In the future, I doubt there will be many 7.0 PP27s slabbed in special labels.

You have a genuine opportunity to transform a run of the mill book into what might well be a one of a kind book. 

Edited by shadroch