• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for comic restoration companies
4 4

12 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2022 at 8:33 AM, cigars&comix said:

Thanks. I need for sensitive, more complex restoration. But its good to know they do the minor work. I though they were only pressing.

I think that it's still against the rules to publicly post CCS' competitors, so if anyone else has recommendations I would suggest PMing them to you.

• Administrator

This was copied from our home page.

Restoration/Conservation

A very important step is determining which comic books should be restored or conserved. In today’s market, candidates must be chosen based on the current condition and value of a comic, what apparent grade that comic can achieve through restoration or conservation, and the cost involved. In truth, most comic books do not benefit from restoration or conservation, either because the cost outweighs the benefit, or because the comic is worth more in its current state than it would be if either service was performed.

In 2014, CGC introduced its conservation category, which is a more specific classification of restoration. It includes only work that is professional and slight in nature with the purpose of sustaining a comic’s structural integrity.

One of our more revolutionary comic book restoration processes is called leaf casting, which has dramatically improved the appearance of comics we restore. Leaf casting is used by most historical conservationist labs across the world, and incorporating this process into comic book restoration now brings us in line with other fields of historical ephemera. Kenny Sanderson is an independent consultant who has refined our leaf casting process, which now produces results that are unparalleled in our hobby.

In addition to restoration, CCS offers a conservation service as well. For a more detailed description of how CGC identifies restored and conserved comics, please visit CGC’s restoration page here.

If you think your comic book would benefit from restoration or conservation, the first step is to email us a scan of the front and back of the comic in question to service@cgccomics.com. Based on your scan, we will determine whether either service is viable and provide a ballpark cost. If we decide the comic may benefit from restoration or conservation, the next step is to submit the comic for screening to finalize feasibility and cost. The questions and answers below will help guide you.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, Hero Restoration said:

The rules are relevant to Grading, not external services. The leader in the restoration industry is hrccomics.com

Might want to double check that URL again, Mike. This friendly note has been brought to you by your own actual webmaster :D

On 6/28/2022 at 3:27 AM, cigars&comix said:

Looking for comic restoration companies - any recommendations?

You can PM me or post here.

In my opinion, the best in the business is Kenny Sanderson at @sanderson_studios on Instagram.  This is for expensive, rare books that need actual restoration, not just pressing and cleaning, by the way.  If all you need is cleaning and pressing, there are quite a few professionals who can do that who frequent these boards.  

Edited by FFB

People have already mentioned Kenny Sanderson and Hero Restoration. Kenny worked with Matt Nelson back when Matt was independent as Classics Inc. In the past I have personally used Classics Inc and Hero Restoration.  Happy with both.  

Other respected Restoration places
The Restoration lab
Eclipse Paper Conservation

On 7/12/2022 at 11:38 PM, Tony S said:

People have already mentioned Kenny Sanderson and Hero Restoration. Kenny worked with Matt Nelson back when Matt was independent as Classics Inc. In the past I have personally used Classics Inc and Hero Restoration.  Happy with both.  

Other respected Restoration places
The Restoration lab
Eclipse Paper Conservation

Under no circumstances would I recommend anyone send an important book to Eclipse Paper Conservation.  I speak from personal experience after having two books ruined from a simple pressing job that took FOREVER to get back, coupled with excuse after excuse and delay after delay.  Tracey talks a big game but his skills do not match up to the top professionals from anything I've seen.  

As for the Restoration Lab, Susan used to be one of the best back in the 1990s, but her techniques are archaic and I believe she's mostly focused on pressing now.  Her piece filling work is nowhere near the quality that is being achieved by the skilled leaf casters these days.  

I am looking to get a few Silver Age books pressed and some rusty staples removed and replaced on a Tales of Suspense 57...only because I know what will happen to this copy if I don't. I would appreciate some PM's from anyone that is capable...hoping in the Winnipeg area.