• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are low value graded 7.0-8.5 worth keeping?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Just curious. In your opinion are cgc 7.0 to 8.5 books that are worth less than 50 dollars each graded worth keeping?

Had bad luck with most recent submission. Even had three flawless books come back with grades of 9.6 and a 9.2.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, Tregster said:

In your opinion are cgc 7.0 to 8.5 books that are worth less than 50 dollars each graded worth keeping?

Is paper money in denominations of less than $50 worth keeping?

seems like an incredibly subjective  question.  

So ... it depends, hope that helps.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:16 PM, rexinnih said:

Lots of variables including, today's $50 comic can be tomorrow's speculation poster child with each MCU rumor. 

Good point. 10-15 years ago I used to routinely crack bronze age 8.0 and below because they were "under $50" books and slabs take up a lot of space. Many of those I cracked are now $500+ books. 

On 6/30/2022 at 5:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

gabriel-iglesias-ahhhhh.gif

I couldn't find a good gif for pppffftt ahhhhhh but anyway lol

I really hoped that the new minimum cost to cgc, I hoped somehow that would float all boats, but it may not have been a long enough amount if time.

It is a thought, but again, I'm not sure the economics of that aspect. :cheers:

tumblr_mwhtrkf8JR1sl21koo1_540.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/30/2022 at 9:47 AM, Tregster said:

Just curious. In your opinion are cgc 7.0 to 8.5 books that are worth less than 50 dollars each graded worth keeping?

Had bad luck with most recent submission. Even had three flawless books come back with grades of 9.6 and a 9.2.

if silver age yes.  I have plenty of ungraded SA books that were worth 10-30 bucks 5 years ago that are worth couple hundred now.  depends on the book.  kirby thors and strange adventures for example have spiked and still rising.  brother power the geek not so much.

My friend who owns the LCS laughs all the time at all of the books that sit in his dollar box.  Some new show, movie or something else happens and the books that wouldn't sell for $1 are now, $20 to $100.  Years ago at another LCS I asked the owner 3 times if the books he had in the dollar box should be there.  The 3rd time he said yes I bought all 6 and sent them into CGC they were all Avatar Goons.  Three number ones, and three number threes.  All went to CGC not pressed and half came back as 9.8s and half as 9.6.  (I wished I had pressed them)

On 6/30/2022 at 12:22 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Good point. 10-15 years ago I used to routinely crack bronze age 8.0 and below because they were "under $50" books and slabs take up a lot of space. Many of those I cracked are now $500+ books. 

Be glad you cracked them out. You wouldn't have near as many had they stayed slabbed.  Twenty slabs take up the same space as a hundred or more raws.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, Tregster said:

what would those 9.6/9.2 been worth if they were 9.8s?

I'd keep anything that maybe a "key"

but 7.0-8.5 that aren't worth much, put a price of $50 and see if you get an offer

worst thing you can do is keep something that was a mistake, get out of it quick, make up some of the loss and move on to the next one

On 6/30/2022 at 12:47 PM, Tregster said:

Exactly what are your collecting habits?

Are you a "collector" looking to complete runs or are you an "investor" looking to grade and sell at a profit?

If you are a collector then monetary value means nothing, you would be interested in the Art, Story, Characters, Artists/Writers, etc.

If I may, I would like to comment on your last statement..."Even had three flawless books come back with grades of 9.6 and a 9.2" 

If the books came back at a 9.6 and 9.2 respectively they were not flawless, sometimes it is difficult for folks to grade their own books since they tend to view them through "Rose Colored Glasses".

On 7/1/2022 at 9:31 AM, jsilverjanet said:

7.0-8.5 that aren't worth much, put a price of $50 and see if you get an offer

I just did that with some semi-key Cry For Dawn books ($70 or so in the 8.5-9.2 range) and no action (one is a Linsner-signed GLOD). I think I'm just going to crack them out and sell them with my other raw CFDs, because I don't think the grades they are in are appealing to people who are collecting Linsner slabs. I'm looking at you, Frank, the CFD master:@asteroid-comix (worship)

Yeah, I guess it is too subjective of a question. I've been pretty back and forth on whether or not to sell them or keep them. It just seems slabs don't mean anything to anybody unless they're a 9.8. They're my childhood comics, so because of the sentimental value I'll probably keep them.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:31 AM, jsilverjanet said:

what would those 9.6/9.2 been worth if they were 9.8s?

Alot more most likely. It would probably be the difference in it selling or never selling. If I were to list them of course.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, marvelmaniac said:

If the books came back at a 9.6 and 9.2 respectively they were not flawless, sometimes it is difficult for folks to grade their own books since they tend to view them through "Rose Colored Glasses".

I was pretty objective about it. No grader notes with those. They looked just as good as a book I had submitted earlier that graded 9.8. It seems like it's so easy for other people to get that grade.

Edited by Tregster