• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Error update
3 3

13 posts in this topic

So I returned two books one for very excessive Newton rings , and another for extensive scuffing . 

Both of these books were like this right after I received them from encapsulation . 

I received both books back . 
One case looks good except for a small amount of Newton rings on the back 

The other  still has extensive Newton rings . 

Should I send the books in yet again to get a good case without scuffs or Newton rings ? 

How could I get defective cases again after sending in the books to be corrected for this exact problem ? 

On 6/30/2022 at 2:14 PM, mysterymachine said:

Who is paying shipping to have them sent back and returned?

To Cgc's credit the return process was very easy . 

They paid return shipping both ways and it was insured ! 

I signed for the book so it seemed very safe as well . 

I am just wondering if the defect rate is acually this high as this was my first submission and my first subseqent return of books . 

On 6/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, Corallas said:

Hi , 

Thanks may try that  , good video 

Interesting that he said 32 of his 32 cases had the problem so seems like a common occurrence.

Fixed that for you. There are no 'problems' at CGC. Just ask anyone who works there.

What do you all do if you buy a book from someone say off of ebay and you get a book with Newton rings? 
Is this just an accepted part of collecting now or does the seller have an obligation to list even minor defects in the case ? 

One of the reasons I want good cases is if I ever sell or trade the books I want to offer a good quality case to the buyer or person I am trading with . 

On 7/1/2022 at 10:24 AM, Floridamaxx said:

Not good news I just sent 2 slabs back because of scratch and newton rings ....This is just unacceptable 

PXL_20220628_172554127.jpg

Yes hopefully they are spotless when you get them back .

On 7/1/2022 at 7:24 AM, Floridamaxx said:

Not good news I just sent 2 slabs back because of scratch and newton rings ....This is just unacceptable 

I wonder if the summer heat could be contributing to the problem...I mean the occurrence.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, Corallas said:

What do you all do if you buy a book from someone say off of ebay and you get a book with Newton rings? 

Personally, I do nothing if it isn't meant for cracking. Newton rings don't bother me since my slabs go in a box, and when I occasionally look at one with rings, honestly, I have to look for them by angling the slab in a way that I can't see the cover anyway.