• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help valuing the first four issues of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, first edition - "yellowed" pages

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

When I was younger, there was a comic shop a few blocks away from my high school. I would walk over during our lunch period to pick up mostly older books. I got to know the owner pretty well and one day she suggested I pick up a new book, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I bought the first four copies, all first edition, and put them in a long box with my other comics. 

For about two months, they were in my home in New Orleans without power (after Katrina). They were never exposed to water, as my house didn't flood, but the pages are yellowed. I understand that this will affect the grade, but given that these comics were printed on cheap paper, I'm curious as to what a pristine page from one of these issues looks like?

Issue #1 has a couple of creases on the cover and a couple of small creases on the spine. Issues 2-4 are what I would have considered near mint back when I was collecting. The colors on all four covers are bright and about as "glossy" as they were when I bought them; issue #3 has two cover pages and two back pages, which I guess was a mis-print? 

I was considering submitting the four issues for grading, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long before I try to sell them. Assuming I can figure out how to upload images, you should be able to see the front cover and the last page and back cover of #1, the latter of which shows just how far from white the pages are as compared to the inside of the back cover. 

So the question is whether anyone here can tell me whether page color in these books in particular will dramatically affect the overall grade, and relatedly, whether my best bet if I don't have them graded (or restored and graded) would be to put them up for auction on ebay with multiple pictures of the interior pages so that a buyer could easily judge the color issues? 

TMNT 1 cover.jpeg

TMNT 1 back cover and page.jpeg

On 6/30/2022 at 2:20 PM, rdpeyton said:

my best bet if I don't have them graded (or restored and graded)

What do you mean by have them restored?

On 6/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, rdpeyton said:

So the question is whether anyone here can tell me whether page color in these books in particular will dramatically affect the overall grade

Based on the single interior shot shown, I believe these pages would best be described as off-white.  Off-white pages are neither a flaw that warrants a deduction nor a condition that places an upper limit on grade (provided you're not shooting for either 9.9 MT or 10.0 Gem MT).  So mention it in your sale listing (supported by a pic or two, as you've done above) and move on to actual grade-critical issues: cover blemishes and defects.  :foryou:

ow.thumb.png.2477d162d809cda9a4c6363743d04fe6.png

By restored, I meant pressed, and in connection with getting it graded. 

And thank you, zzutak, that's very helpful. I don't think the first issue merits a grade that high, but if the off-white color of the pages isn't that big an issue, it may be higher than I'd thought. I was offered $3,500 for the four issues by a local comic shop owner, and I'm glad I took some time to dig around. I haven't collected since the 90's, and while I'm not a complete noob, I thought I knew more than I did. Turns out I knew just enough to be dangerous. 

Edited by rdpeyton

On 7/1/2022 at 5:41 AM, rdpeyton said:

I was offered $3,500 for the four issues by a local comic shop owner

:whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I totally get the concept of overhead; however, with First Printings of issue #1 alone going for $15~20k in the 7.0 FN/VF to 8.0 VF range, I'd have to characterize that as a very, very, very low-ball offer.  And that's being kind.  :facepalm:  In order to get full value out of books like this, you really should have them dry-cleaned/pressed and CGC-certified.  Books of this value will be processed quickly.  Sometimes you have to spend $$$ to make $$$.  Good luck.  :foryou:

Based on the one picture you show, that's pretty normal page quality for TMNT#1.  Also page color generally doesn't affect grading.  Would need to see a back cover scan (and better pic of the front) but off the top of my head, you're looking at a 6.5/7 with the TMNT #1.  Indents above the A and S in Laird's. Non-colorbreaking creases on the spine.  Some dings on the top.  Overall nice condition.  Worth the time and value to send in. (Given that a #1 first print in any condition over 1.0 is worth several thousand dollars, this book would have to go through Walkthrough tier.  Think a 7 is about a $20,000 book these days, so you're looking at about $300 to grade the book.)  The 2, if in similar condition, would have been worth sending in on Express, but 2's look like they're starting to soften right now.  3 and 4 are best kept raw.  Not worth the grading fees and time.

Hello,

When I was younger, there was a comic shop a few blocks away from my high school. I would walk over during our lunch period to pick up mostly older books. I got to know the owner pretty well and one day she suggested I pick up a new book, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I bought the first four copies, all first edition, and put them in a long box with my other comics. 

For about two months, they were in my home in New Orleans without power (after Katrina). They were never exposed to water, as my house didn't flood, but the pages are yellowed. I understand that this will affect the grade, but given that these comics were printed on cheap paper, I'm curious as to what a pristine page from one of these issues looks like?

Issue #1 has a couple of creases on the cover and a couple of small creases on the spine. Issues 2-4 are what I would have considered near mint back when I was collecting. The colors on all four covers are bright and about as "glossy" as they were when I bought them; issue #3 has two cover pages and two back pages, which I guess was a mis-print? 

I was considering submitting the four issues for grading, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long before I try to sell them. Assuming I can figure out how to upload images, you should be able to see the front cover and the last page and back cover of #1, the latter of which shows just how far from white the pages are as compared to the inside of the back cover. 

So the question is whether anyone here can tell me whether page color in these books in particular will dramatically affect the overall grade, and relatedly, whether my best bet if I don't have them graded (or restored and graded) would be to put them up for auction on ebay with multiple pictures of the interior pages so that a buyer could easily judge the color issues? 

TMNT 1 cover.jpeg

TMNT 1 back cover and page.jpeg

Also, just FYI. The first issue was printed on newsprint.  the inside pages NEVER looked as white as the inside cover, even the day they came off the printer.  They always had that grayish hue because that's the color of newsprint.  

On 6/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, rdpeyton said:

Issue #3 has two cover pages and two back pages, which I guess was a misprint?

If you're trying to say that your copy has two front covers and two back covers, you have a "double cover" specimen.  Double cover copies are generally quite rare.  However, this was a fairly common production glitch with TMNT #3.  For that reason, single cover specimens and double cover specimens have pretty comparable market values.

I am learning a lot, and thank you all for responding. I did not know there was an expedited grading process, for example. And I did not consider sending just the first two and not 3-4, either; or rather, not sending them for the walkthrough grading. I really appreciate the help. 

On 7/1/2022 at 8:30 AM, zzutak said:

:whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I totally get the concept of overhead; however, with First Printings of issue #1 alone going for $15~20k in the 7.0 FN/VF to 8.0 VF range, I'd have to characterize that as a very, very, very low-ball offer.  And that's being kind.  :facepalm:  In order to get full value out of books like this, you really should have them dry-cleaned/pressed and CGC-certified.  Books of this value will be processed quickly.  Sometimes you have to spend $$$ to make $$$.  Good luck.  :foryou:

Yeah, he stressed that it would be cash, and the IRS wouldn't hear about it. Seems like an ok dude apart from that, and he did have a chance to look at the comic in person. Glad I didn't sell him all four for that price, though, because 2-4 are damn near pristine. 

On 7/1/2022 at 10:26 AM, shadroch said:

A store owner recommended you pick up the first four issues of the series?  Were they cover price?

Yes, and yes. She was really nice, and I was in the store two or three times a week. I think she had a half dozen of the first run? This was a small shop, too, in the suburbs of New Orleans. No idea how she had the comics if there were only that many printed. But it was a great shop. Just rows and rows of boxes full of old stuff, with new comics on the wall and a little counter where she rung you up. I had a pull list there for four years. 

By the time #4 came out, #1s were selling for several times cover price and were very hot commodities.  Neither of my distributors even carried the first issue, I had to scramble to find a few 2nd prints .    It's good to get lucky. 

Generally, PQ (page quality) doesn't affect grade, unless it's "Tan" or "Brittle". I'm not into TMNT, so it's possible that the PQ for these is still considered "White", but don't be surprised if they're "Off-White/White" or just "Off-White".

"White" PQ simply means that the pages have visually not-aged since being printed and assembled. "White" PQ does not mean that the pages are the same color as your standard 8-1/2"x11".

If you don't get them graded, you will need to do some diligent research to avoid getting scammed in a sale.

On 7/2/2022 at 12:23 AM, shadroch said:

By the time #4 came out, #1s were selling for several times cover price and were very hot commodities.  Neither of my distributors even carried the first issue, I had to scramble to find a few 2nd prints .    It's good to get lucky. 

When #4 was out, #1 was selling for $100 if you could find it.  My LCS ordered 3 #1s and only 1 sold.  The other 2 ended up forgotten in the $1 box for a couple of months.  Right after #4 came out and things really started heating up, a friend found the #1s in the back of the $1 box.  He took them to the next con and flipped them for some keys he needed to finish his Hulk run.