• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing Platinum Age Comics
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but has anyone found products or techniques for storing Platinum Age? I'm talking about the old Bringing Up Father, Gumps, etc., the square-style old ones. I've tried to search for boxes or mylars and come up empty. My assumption is that larger collections of these aren't common enough for companies to mass produce boxes, bags, and boards, but I could be wrong. 

If anyone has a link or a suggestion for how you store these, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Depending on the size, you may have to work with Life Magazine or Treasury bags and boards? There are also various art print / photo sleeves and backings. Many sellers of all kinds of things put their stuff in an oversized bag and then tape them. I guess it depends how often you want to pull them out.

As far as boxes I can think of anything standardized, just file boxes or similar

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/2/2022 at 12:11 PM, rumrunner71 said:

I've tried to search for boxes or mylars and come up empty.  If anyone has a link or a suggestion for how you store these, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Here are a couple of my go-to sources for museum-quality art/book/paper conservation/display/storage supplies: TALAS  and LINECO.  Both companies offer acid-free archival storage boxes in a variety of sizes.  If you feel additional protection is warranted (beyond just a box), TALAS also sells interleaving paper as well as various sizes of Mylar envelopes and Mylar sheets.   :headbang:

AF-Boxes-1.png.5e3834aecfa1e709e5324f57ea7b2683.png

On 7/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, zzutak said:

Here are a couple of my go-to sources for museum-quality art/book/paper conservation/display/storage supplies: TALAS  and LINECO.  Both companies offer acid-free archival storage boxes in a variety of sizes.  If you feel additional protection is warranted (beyond just a box), TALAS also sells interleaving paper as well as various sizes of Mylar envelopes and Mylar sheets.   :headbang:

AF-Boxes-1.png.5e3834aecfa1e709e5324f57ea7b2683.png

Those look great! I'll have to check out their sites. I have some older magazines I'd like to store, too, so it looks like they would have something for both.

Thank you!!

Edited by rumrunner71

On 7/2/2022 at 3:17 PM, KirbyTown said:

Depending on the size, you may have to work with Life Magazine or Treasury bags and boards? There are also various art print / photo sleeves and backings. Many sellers of all kinds of things put their stuff in an oversized bag and then tape them. I guess it depends how often you want to pull them out.

As far as boxes I can think of anything standardized, just file boxes or similar

Thanks!

I have some in oversized bags that are sort of folded over and taped. They just seem a bit insufficient. I'll have to take a look for treasury sizes. I tried searching for "platinum age sized" and there was nothing.