• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has any found your books heavily under graded!!!
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I recently got a graded book back with the comment that it had a complete spine split. I specifcally chose the books I send by going through them with a fine toothed comb.  The comica and in this the specific comic was an uncanny xmen 35 that I graded at the very least a 9.0.  It came back a 1.8 ????¿  is there anything CGC will do to help understand who split the spine.  I am 100% convinced that if they have security cameras on the staff they can see how this arrived and when it was destroyed!   This is not the first time I am just so sick of the no recourse position we are in.  I MAY SWITCH TO CBCS OR JUST STAY RAW.   ITS RIDICULOUS.  i will video all submissions moving forward and i think I have this comic on my video podcast too!!  Before it was destoryed that is.

I don't think undergrading the comic is the problem here; the problem is destroying the comic.  You should probably post this in the Quality Control thread and/or tag @CGC Mike so he can forward the concern to the QC Director.

I have no idea of the process pressers have. It seems like part of the process would be to look the book over even before starting the pressing process. I know Tony does this, and I'm pretty sure Joey does as well, but I have no idea if this is part of CCS's (or pressers in general) process. It would seem like the presser would know what the major flaws of a book are before and after the process. I guess what I'm trying to say is ... wouldn't the presser know if he inadvertently split the spine?

On 7/4/2022 at 7:59 AM, Alex2 said:

This is not the first time I am just so sick of the no recourse position we are in.

Yeah, and it looks like they are supposed to notify you (as well as not be held responsible whether you use a screen or not...)

from the CCS FAQ:

"Is it possible my comic will receive a lower grade after pressing?"

If damage ever occurs during pressing, the customer will be notified of the damage prior to the book transferring to CGC for grading.

...and...

To mitigate the possibility of damage, it is recommended that each book is examined for these defects prior to submission. When in doubt, the CCS screening service should be utilized to assess safety.

Because it is impossible to ensure that damage will not occur, CCS will not be held liable for split spines, covers or pages detached from staples, or detached pieces.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:30 PM, KirbyTown said:

Impossible to miss!

So I take it, unless the presser is lacking in the integrity department and doesn't say anything, we can rule out the presser having caused this?

On 7/4/2022 at 5:59 AM, Alex2 said:

I recently got a graded book back with the comment that it had a complete spine split. I specifcally chose the books I send by going through them with a fine toothed comb.  The comica and in this the specific comic was an uncanny xmen 35 that I graded at the very least a 9.0.  It came back a 1.8 ????¿  is there anything CGC will do to help understand who split the spine.  I am 100% convinced that if they have security cameras on the staff they can see how this arrived and when it was destroyed!   This is not the first time I am just so sick of the no recourse position we are in.  I MAY SWITCH TO CBCS OR JUST STAY RAW.   ITS RIDICULOUS.  i will video all submissions moving forward and i think I have this comic on my video podcast too!!  Before it was destoryed that is.

How was the page quality, did you open and close the front page before sending?

For what its worth, one time I had a Golden Age romance comic that looked perfectly fine.

Yet the moment I opened it up, the spine split completely off. 

Edited by Rip

On 7/10/2022 at 10:09 AM, Gaard said:

can rule out the presser having caused this?

I don't know if anything can be ruled out since so many people handle the book during the process and with such different levels of care. I think we would need to see OP's book to make a better assessment.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:08 PM, Rip said:

How was the page quality, did you open and close the front page before sending?

This is the question for sure. I'm not making any judgment about OP's ability, just want to state that some people consider a detailed look at a cover through a bag and board to be a detailed examination. I imagine that a number of collectors buying vintage books have never removed tape from plastic let alone touched newsprint.

Spine splits happen. I had an All-American #89 graded at 7 that I decided to put through for a press and re-grade. CCS contacted me after they opened a 1 1/2" spline split, reducing the book from a 7 to a 4.5 -  and I got to pay for that joyful experience as well.

On a book from 1947, and 1st appearance... that HURT. And is the reason that i sought and found other pressing options.

Are you sure you received the same book back (maybe CGC sent your book to someone else)?  Or could you have accidently sent a lower grade book to CGC without realizing it?   You could compare the slabbed book to a pic of it raw.  I'm curious now!  Heck, if you share the best raw pic you have and the slabbed pic (close-up shots, esp of spine area), I'll check for you!