• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages vs grade points

12 posts in this topic

Basically I wanna know the exchange rate of white pages to grade points lolz For example. If you have two of the exact same comic, one is a 6.0 and the other is a 5.0 but has white pages, which is worth more? 

On 7/5/2022 at 5:43 PM, Travaran said:

Basically I wanna know the exchange rate of white pages to grade points lolz For example. If you have two of the exact same comic, one is a 6.0 and the other is a 5.0 but has white pages, which is worth more? 

What’s the page quality of the 6.0?

What color pages does the 6.0 have? 

The easy answer is, the grade point is worth more. An AF15 in 6.0 with W pages will sell for more than a 5.0 with OW or likely even OW to cream pages. 

But like most things, it's a bit more complicated than that. If the 6.0 has Cream or slightly brittle pages a lot of buyers will think twice. And if it has brittle pages I imagine a 5.0 would sell for more. 

There’s no hard and fast rule. Depends on the book, the condition, the age of the book, the rarity of the book, luck, the collector, overall presentation, etc. 

Good luck

There are faction of collectors and dealers that will pay more for certain books with White pages.  For those books a 5.0 White Pages might sell for more than a 6.0 with Off-White or lower on the scale.

IIRC Bob Storm's/High Grade is a dealer that caters to that WP "fetish".

At a Con a good buddy of mine turned down an Avengers 4 in 8.0 for a fair price in 2018 as it was OW/W and he wanted only W.  As he still does not have the book. Given the jump in price the past 3 years if he is not kicking himself in the butt I will have to send him a reminder :)

Edited by MAR1979

To all who replied. My example wasn't of any real life comics, just giving a example. And in this example, ALL things are equal with these two comics EXCEPT one is a 6 without white pages and one is a 5 with white pages. I was wondering if white pages could make up that point grade lolz

On 7/5/2022 at 9:15 PM, Travaran said:

To all who replied. My example wasn't of any real life comics, just giving a example. And in this example, ALL things are equal with these two comics EXCEPT one is a 6 without white pages and one is a 5 with white pages. I was wondering if white pages could make up that point grade lolz

My opinion - not so sure there is clear demarcation but rather its case by case, and collector by collector.

Edited by MAR1979

I think that's the problem with the comparison, though, as revat and KCO tried to point out. It's not that simple because "white pages" is one designation and "not white pages" is half a dozen designations. If "not white pages" means tan or brittle, then yeah, it probably makes a big difference to most sellers for most books. If "not white pages" means off-white, then it may not make that big a difference for most collectors or most books. As KCO said, if it's white vs. brittle, then maybe it makes up some of the price difference. But it also depends on what the other reasons are for the grade.

As you learn more about collecting, you'll see that some of the questions you are asking don't have black-and-white - or, in this case, off-white-and-white :) - answers, especially when they are hypothetical. The more specific you are, the more specific your responders can be.

Edited by rumrunner71

in my experience, with the SA key books, such as jim83, asm1, tos39, xmen1, etc, the white pages are equivalent to a half grade improvement. assuming all other things are equal in terms of presentation, chipping, etc. in other words, an xmen1 7.5 owwp and an xmen1 7.0 wp copy are worth about the same amount. this is not hard and fast, but often true. 

lolz